Console Minecraft Exclusive to Xbox 360

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Airsoftslayer93 said:
Escapist, why you release news from months ago as if its new, it was announced as an exclusive when it was announced at e3.
^this, it was specifically stated that this was going to be an exclusive at E3 last June.

to everyone who is wondering why its not coming to PS3 and Wii; because Microsoft planted a big bag of money on Notch's desk for the exclusivity, no amount of moaning or complaining will not change that. Sony or Nintendo could have done the same thing but they chose not to.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Isn't it still coming to the Vita?
It is, but the Vita isn't a console. Xbox 360 is the only console Minecraft will be available on.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Eh, I can see why. if nothing else, just cause of the intraoffice relationship betwen PC and 360 is an easier thing than going to a PS3/Wii. though I dont see this staying exclusive. Much like DMC and FF XIII, this will (at a later date) get moved to the PS3. I dont see much reason why you wouldnt really.
A small nitpick but FFXIII was originally a PS3 exclusive. It went the other way.

It would be more accurate to say Mass Effect 2 or some such.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I guess Notch didn't read about what happened to other big indie game developers with XBLA Marketplace. He should talk to Jonathan Blow (creator of Braid) about how much of a cut MS took from him. I also know that there has been issues with how much you can patch an XBLA game inthe past.

This seems like a not so smart decision. I though the whole "xbox exclusive" phase died with the multiple failures of JRPGs that were under that clause.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
I would just like to point out that no controller is best suited for Minecraft other than the computer keyboard. I say this as a Wii, Xbox 360, and PS2 owner with pure objectiveness in mind.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Minecraft isn't something I'd buy a second time just to have it on a console. And I'd be willing to be that it plays horribly. I can't see a controller being comfortable for a game like that, and I say that as a console gamer.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I'm okay with this. Been a minecrafter since alpha, still play it on PC. Still enjoy it.

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
They probably aren't good enough coders to develop Minecraft for PS3, I mean it's based on Java after all.

Or MS just bought the exclusive rights.

Either way Minecraft isn't difficult to run so PS3 players can just go buy the PC version. :)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
Snotnarok said:
Because Mojang is a very very small team and the PS3 is very difficult to program for. 360 is very very easy.
See, that's the funny thing now. Mojang used to be a very very small team. All thanks to their game Minecraft, they've raised over millions of dollars being the top dog. They even came over Valve in March Mayhem as #1 Gaming Company.

I'm sure that if Notch really wanted to, he'd work something out for the PS3 to make Minecraft playable on the PS3. It'd be difficult, but it's possible no doubt. Xbox 360 is also as hard too, since there's so many functions to cross over from the PC side of things. So PS3 can work too even if more challenging.
Yes...he's made millions of dollars but his team has remained fairly small still. There's a lot to do with development that I'm sure he's only interested so far in going. Honestly if I were in his shoes I'd test the waters to see if console development would be worth it, because there's FAR more involved than PC development.

CdnDemoniac

Feb 20, 2010
Kielgasten said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
LobsterFeng said:
imnotparanoid said:
Its actually beinf released on 11/11/11
What?! They can't do that! That's when Skyrim comes out, people will get confused!/sarcasm
Hah.. i get it :)

OT: Aw Notch i thought you were cool. I really dont see the point of this exclusivity, does he think he already has too much money and doesnt want the ps3/wii crowds to throw more cash at him?
If I was a betting man, I would bet that the reason for this "exclusivity" (which it really isn´t because it is also on PC) has more to do with the ease of which you can convert PC code into Xbox code, than a desire to leave some platforms out.

But then again, maybe Microsoft just sent a massive truck filled with money his way...
What needs to be considered here is that Mojang actually isn't that big of a company, and certainly would NOT have the manpower to port to every console on release, and Xbox is the most logical conclusion for a console port since it is the easiest console to adapt his code to. Moreover, I don't see why a PS3 or Wii owner couldn't just play it on the computer. Having a console port is cool for the controller and having your screen on a TV but besides those reasons there's little benefit to overly focusing on console ports as they don't add too much to the experience. Since Mojang has limited manpower, I wouldn't criticise Notch for the decision he made, as I would rather him focus on fleshing out content as opposed to making unnecessary ports.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Bhaalspawn said:
SirAroun said:
LobsterFeng said:
imnotparanoid said:
Its actually beinf released on 11/11/11
What?! They can't do that! That's when Skyrim comes out, people will get confused!/sarcasm

I can actually see this game working on the Wii. I don't know if it would be able to handle it or not though.
It is come out 11/18-20/11 not 11/11/11
Wwait... Skyrim is coming out on a day where everything is closed? Um... kinda weird.
Says November 11 on other sites, which is weird because it's a Friday when games typically come out Tuesdays, and it's Remembrance day.

On topic: I don't get why everyone is so insistent in having a console version of this game. The PC version is more versatile and if it can run on cell phones, then it can run on your computer unless you have a Pentium 166 from 1991 like I have buried in my basement somewhere....

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
oh wut it's coming to consoles? or console. ooh ok might look into it actually lol

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
I've been bored with Minecraft for so long now that I can't even muster up any shits to give. However, It doesn't seem like a game that would resonate well with the 360's main audience. Also, the no mod state of consoles would upset me with this game.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
While I'm all for games coming out on all systems because that means more fun for all, sometimes it's just not a great idea because you don't know how it'll turn out. Besides there is an investment into it. I really do hope he does reconsider, and it does come out I'm just giving my thoughts on WHY it is.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Yey! I only have a terrible laptop atm and it can't run Minecraft smoothly...always jumps and lags...so this is great news for me xD

I just hope i can log in with my account >.>

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
shameduser said:
This is probably a 360 exclusive due to porting difficulties. I hear the Xbox's Xenon takes to porting PC games better then PS3's Cell.
I'm thinking the same thing. I've heard that Cell architecture is tough to program for, and the opportunities to use that knowledge elsewhere are limited: some programmers won't bother to learn cell programming simply because they doubt they'd use it in other jobs.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I just hope that you don't need Kinect to play it.
Constantly moving your arms to hit "blocks" would get very tiresome very quickly.