Zetas Cartel Frees Kidnap Victim Following Anonymous Threats

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Zetas Cartel Frees Kidnap Victim Following Anonymous Threats

The Zetas drug cartel has released a member of Anonymous after the group threatened a campaign against it, but not without leveling an ominous threat of its own.

The Zetas, for those who don't keep up with the shadowy world of Mexican drug cartels, is widely considered to be the worst of the worst. The group was founded by deserters from the Mexican Army Special Forces who began working as a mercenary army for the Gulf Cartel but eventually grew to become the country's second-most-powerful - and far and away most viciously violent - drug cartel. They have butchered hundreds of rival cartel members and innocent civilians alike; in 2010, the group killed 72 people in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas and in 2011, another mass grave in the state containing at least 193 bodies was also attributed to the group. These are not guys to be messed with.

Which is why some people were taken aback when Anonymous did just that in early October after the group kidnapped one of its members as he participated in a street protest in Veracruz, where the Zetas have been engaged in a bloody battle with other drug gangs. A message posted on YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZL0E1J7wOg&eurl=http] threatened to release the names of journalists, police officers and others working with the cartel unless the kidnapping victim was released. "You have made a great mistake by taking one of us," it warned. "Free him."

Not everyone was thrilled by the macho posing. Some warned that "new Anons" should stay away from "OpCartel" [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395740,00.asp#fbid=yWxWapF7b3E], while others claimed it had been shelved entirely. Somewhat worryingly, the Stratfor Global Intelligence blog claimed that it had "seen reports that Los Zetas are deploying their own teams of computer experts to track those individuals involved in the online anti-cartel campaign, which indicates that the criminal group is taking the campaign very seriously. Those individuals involved face the risk of abduction, injury and death."

The nature of Anonymous and the inherently secretive nature of drug traffickers [repeated and very public incidents of mass murder notwithstanding] make the whole thing very murky. Some recent reports claimed that Anonymous had backed down entirely out of fear that "irresponsible administrators [could] condemn participants to death," while others insisted it was still full steam ahead. Either way, it now appears that the Zetas have stepped back from the fight too, although perhaps unintentionally.

Anonymous rep Barrett Brown claimed that the hostage was released late last week, although he also acknowledged that the Anonymous campaign may not have had much to do with it. "It appears that the Zetas concerned did not know that the individual was the Anon whose release had been demanded by those who instigated OpCartel," he said. And the release of the hostage came with a very stern warning for Anonymous and anyone else who gets the urge to mess with the cartel's affairs.

"If Anonymous unveils any name related to the cartel, the family of the kidnapped Anonymous member will suffer the consequences," the group said. "For each cartel name revealed, ten people will be put to death."

That's no idle threat, but Brown said that because the Zetas released the Anon unknowingly, "no bargain has been fulfilled" and he would therefore continue his campaign against the cartels regardless, albeit independently of Anonymous. Unsurprisingly, some Anons were critical of the move while others vowed to support him. "I don't speak for anonymous the same way you don't -- we are two individuals," tweeted an Anon who goes by the name Sabu. "Those who want to work on the op can, and will."

Sources: DoW Lowen [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395863,00.asp#fbid=yWxWapF7b3E] for the tip.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
What nonsense. Like Anon would give a damn if someone who wasn't a member of their precious little club was taken. No matter what good arises from Anonymous they'll always be a pack of childish gobshites to me.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This story has proved to me that Anon is incapable of dealing with serious situations as one big anonymous unit (you know, like they are supposed to) when the chips are down. They should stop making the situation worse and leave this kind of stuff to the people who are being paid to do it.

Go back to DDoSing websites and turning in small time pedos. At least your not endangering people's lives that way.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Shit, that's though. One thing is fighting organizations the work legally and other fighting one that doesn't. Good thing i dont live in that part of mexico.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
If they know the names of cartel members why don't they tell the appropriate authorities? Murky is the right word here.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
inbetween geohot, psn down, lulsec, and this, There should be a movie about this group.

Ponch

Mar 31, 2010
These crazy shadow wars are actually kinda scary when you think about them.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Goddamnit. There goes my hope of the Cartels turning all the Anon members into Meat & Lead stew.

Well, I guess if nothing else I can hope that they make good on their threat later on.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Volf99 said:
so what if an Anon has American or European members release the intel. What are the cartel going to do?
The same thing they would do if it was a Mexican that did it. Borders mean little to these drug cartels. The only difference is the amount of money it takes.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Volf99 said:
so what if an Anon has American or European members release the intel. What are the cartel going to do?
don't be surprised how deep the Zetas are in both Europe and especially America. Also i think they made themselves clear that they were addressing anonymous that they will start killing people if the names are released. However, if they can get that member and his family into safe protection overseas, they might be able to get the info to someone else to leak it, but they said kill ten people anyways. The very least the group can do is hand the info to the proper authorities. People that they know won't wrongly use the info, this way they can watch these members of the zetas which can lead to future bust, so that if and when it does happen it would have been out of Anon's their hands

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
The moral of this story. You can't play hero. Don't attempt any risk like this unless it is calculated when it comes to life or death. Weigh the consequences of the action before you act. And anon if your going to do ops like this, don't advertise.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
twaddle said:
Volf99 said:
don't be surprised how deep the Zetas are in both Europe and especially America. Also i think they made themselves clear that they were addressing anonymous that they will start killing people if the names are released. However, if they can get that member and his family into safe protection overseas, they might be able to get the info to someone else to leak it, but they said kill ten people anyways. The very least the group can do is hand the info to the proper authorities. People that they know won't wrongly use the info, this way they can watch these members of the zetas which can lead to future bust, so that if and when it does happen it would have been out of Anon's their hands
If they sneak over the border and kill an American citizen, I think our media would have a sh*t storm about it and that would bring very unwanted attention from the US upon the zetas.

ArchEvilAngel

Oct 13, 2011
Volf99 said:
twaddle said:
Volf99 said:
If they sneak over the border and kill an American citizen, I think our media would have a sh*t storm about it and that would bring very unwanted attention from the US upon the zetas.
People die in America every day, and violence near the border isn't all that uncommon. I wouldn't be surprised if something like that were able to fly under the radar...