238: Stripping Down the Nude Mod

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
A really interesting article, not to mention several sections which made me laugh out loud (I prefer to think of them as half-dressed).

I really like how it addresses the complete abscence of any sort of eroticism when it comes to nude video game characters. Sure, Lara Croft is a somewhat attractive character (even in her early days, she was better than most), but simply making her naked and playing the game as usual isn't erotic, it's awkard.... and really, really weird.

Personally, I've never been against sexuality in video games, as long as it fits with the game itself - I think Bayonetta is a perfect example. The highly sexualized nature of Bayonetta's moves is an aspect which I feel manages to flow nicely with the stylized nature of the combat. Even the dancers in "The Saboteur" or the strip clubs found in "San Andreas" (hell, I'd be willing to throw the "Hot Coffee" mod into this group) don't feel like cheap spectacles, but rather as natural components of the game's backdrop, just as much a part of those worlds as any car chase or gunfight.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
Good job on finally getting me to read part of an article proper. I think it's about what kind of person you are, I could totally ogle myself, I'm one of those people that if turned into a woman, after freaking out, would spend most of an hour exploring, and a few hours... trying stuff out, rather than being mortified. As for the older attempts, there's an element of imagination-- why do you think people still read "Forum"-type stuff? because they can imagine what it would look (and feel) like, and video games started out and still often are tools that enhance, extend, and aid the imagination. On the comic side, that may the point for some of them-- in my experience with rule 34, some of it is for looking at, and some of it is for laughing at (and if you're an unlucky artist, your try at the former will turn into the latter).

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Brendan, your alliteration is fun.

I should also point out that I heard there is a game called Adult Tetris out there on the Internet, so someone was way ahead of you on being that ridiculous.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
"And that the heart of it?"

Who edited this? We all make typos, but not everyone is writing featured content for what is ostensibly an online literary publication. The beginning and end of what is written for anything will always be remembered the best by readers, and it seems to me that even a cursory glance by any other staffer would have revealed such a glaring error before the article was published. If The Escapist wants to pride itself on some limited sort of Internet superiority over other websites (don't try to pretend this doesn't happen), I would expect a high level of correctness in communication.

Also, it may just be me, but I found your article little more than a cursory introduction to this subject, with few actual details about what you did.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
it's very strange to play a non-sexual single player game with a nude patch. Shortly after you start, you stop caring and just play the game. It's weird

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
I really don't understand the confusion about the use of nude patches.

the criteria for whether or not someone would use such a patch is usually this:

1) is the game fun? yes? good!

2) is it fun to look at a nice body of your preferred sex? yes? good.

Wouldn't it be more fun to combine the two?

Yes!

Some people do seem to think that sex and anything relating to it is bad or taboo in some way, but for me, that's all I need to know.

There are some nude patches that are terribly out of place, but that's because they don't make the nude patch in context, like the Vindictus nude patch and its armor breaking or Left4Dead because of all the zombies and their hunger for destroying, ripping, and tearing (they can destroy a door and a car, but not clothes? come on.).

There are some people who seem to take enjoyment out of thinking of themselves as superior to others who enjoy the use of nude mods, but those people just seem to like making themselves feel better at someone else's expense.

There's nothing wrong with nude patches and those who use them aren't necessarily depraved or "sad". They're most likely just having harmless fun, so let them without judging, I say.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Yeah nudity is slowly becoming less of a big deal for games and I think its great. I think its equally weird to see a nude patch in left4dead as non-nude character models in the relationship scenes of bioware games. Really comes down to the individual game, if it makes sense for the title then whatever.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
VondeVon said:
BrynThomas said:
All completely stripping a corpse of all possessions felt quite degrading, I only reserved it for bitter enemies.
...That is so odd. I, too, felt bad for stripping total strangers butt naked. Then I remembered that I had no problem actually *murdering* total strangers and shooting their corpses full of arrows in their naughty bits, and thus felt better about it. If a little depraved.
Really? I didn't give it much thought in Skyrim when I was stripping every enemy I killed down down to their underwear and stored their effects in my treasure mountain in Bleakcoast cave. I was kinda wondering why I couldn't loot their under too. It's not like they need them anyway, and Manos de Incendio likes to change his loincloth between his dragon boxing sessions.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Ive never seen a reason to freak out over nudity in video games. Most movies have nudity. Would Titanic be the same if Jack didnt draw her like "one of his french girls", or if they didnt bone in the back of an old style motor car?

Nudity and sex are part of being human. Its part of being alive technically.
And yes, while most games dont benefit from it in anyway, cutting it from the game for fear of media backlash is just.... Demeaning to the adult video gaming community. Its not even about "Protecting the children~!", because that falls on the parents not the developers.

Im glad that people are producing nude mods and sexy bits for games though. It shows you cant completely control what we have in our games. Its a step forward form "Company has complete control over your every move ingame".

Also, boobies are really, really nice. Ladies, show them to your men more often. They will live a longer, healthier life.

Yosarian2

Jan 29, 2011
I don't care about nude mods and stuff for the sims, but I must admit that I download a "no jealousy" mod that someone made in order to create a happy polygamist family. Made the game much more entertaining.