I Am Alive Dev Claims Mistranslation, Says PC Might Still Happen

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I Am Alive Dev Claims Mistranslation, Says PC Might Still Happen

The I Am Alive developer who blew off "bitching" PC gamers says he thinks his comments were misconstrued because he's not a native English speaker, and that a PC version of the game may yet happen.

Earlier this week, I Am Alive Creative Director Stanislas Mettra touched a nerve [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114356-I-Am-Alive-Producer-Dismisses-Bitching-PC-Gamers] when he said that Ubisoft had "heard loud and clear that PC gamers are bitching about their being no version of [I Am Alive] for them," but that it was hard to justify the expense involved in making the game because of rampant piracy. Even at a relatively small investment, he said, "If only 50,000 people buy the game then it's not worth it."

Not the gentlest way to put it, eh? But in a follow-up email to IncGamers [http://www.incgamers.com/News/29708/i-am-alive-dev-clarifies-pc-stance], Mettra said he thinks something was lost in the translation. "I would really love to see a PC build of the game and I don't think I meant to say 'the game won't happen on PC'," he wrote. "It's probably an English language miscommunication (I am not native English speaker)."

"What I meant is that the PC version did not happen yet [sic]. But we are still working to see the feasibility of it, which is not necessarily simple. I gave some examples to illustrate the problematic [sic], but obviously it is not in my hands and not my part to talk about this," he continued. "Honestly, which game maker would not love his game to be playable on as many platforms and by as many people as possible? Regardless console or PC, what matters is the game and the pleasure people can get from it."

Hey, it happens. And to give Mettra the benefit of the doubt, it's a fine line between "we hear you bitching" and "we understand you're concerned." Does it matter? Well, no, because the bottom line is that if Ubisoft doesn't see sufficient potential for return on a PC release then it's not going to happen. But there's certainly no need to be rude about it.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
rollerfox88 said:
Love it - the old "I no speka di English, senor" defence. Textbook.
Pretty much this.

PR saw what the moron did and now are viciously trying to reverse it. But PR can only cover smaller stuff, calling a full gaming populations pirates and whining bastards is not an easy fix.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
LMFAO, after they called 95% of all PC gamers pirates they claim it's a translation error?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well, I also mistranslated myself when I said "I don't care, AC IV is the last game I will ever purchase from your company".

I meant "Go fuck yourselves with a broken twig, Ubisoft, thanks, XOXO".

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Well, that's bad PR.
Firing him would've been a great PR trick. Old, full of crap but amusing.
Is there even a point to this? No one's gonna buy the "ME NO ENGLISH!".

Nov 5, 2007
Then again guys, wouldn't be the first time english speaking media go crazy on a mistranslation from Ubisoft. Remember when they took seriously that joke video on Jeux Vidéo.com about the guy talking to Jade Raymond?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I like to rag on Ubisoft as much as the next person but I think it'd be unfair to do so in this case, Mettra obviously went rogue here and said some stuff he really shouldn't have and was very likely told off by someone higher up in the Ubisoft foodchain; it wouldn't surprise me if he's kept on a tighter leash from now on.

I should also say im loving the contrast between "PC gamers are bitches" written in fairly good english and "Si? Me no speaka de englesh well".

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Ubisoft employee says something retarded about PC gaming
Internet shitstorm ensues
Even the retards in Ubisoft relize that they don't need THAT much bad press
The employee is ordered to retract his statement
He makes up some bullshit about mistranslation

Probably happened something like that...

SushiJaguar

Sep 12, 2010
I think the higher ups were involved something like this...

"Green light, Mettra! Wait a second, he isn't being stupid enough! PR, MAKE HIM MORE STUPID."

Feb 13, 2008
It's funny, because I thought a slang word like "Bitching" would have been very tough to mis-translate.

But wait, what about Steve Arnoult?

"To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, 'Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you're asking for. We've listened to you - we're giving you this experience. It's easy to download, there's no DRM that will pollute your experience.'"
Is he mis-translated as well? I'd fire your translator chaps. He seems to want to get you lot into trouble.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
BULL. FUCKING. SHIT. Quebecois can speak English just fine you lying son of a *****. Don't try pulling the goddamn french card asshole. You are a fucking PR representative. ENGLISH is the language that most of your customers speak.

hannes2

Dec 10, 2010
I still highly doubt that the "95% of you are pirates" part was mistranslated. Other than that, if it actually was a mistranslation, that means there might still be a PC version of I Am Alive, although I´ll believe that when it happens. And if there isn´t, the whole correction is meaningless, because all I care about is whether or not I can play the game

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Bitching is a pretty understandable word for non-native speakers. Benefit of the doubt not received. Go directly to Jail. Do not collect $200 if you pass Start.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
rollerfox88 said:
Love it - the old "I no speka di English, senor" defence. Textbook.
"Oh, shit, people actually would *buy* this on PC? What an incredible conundrum. We will have to release it on the system as soon as feasibly possible."

"I mean, 'Bad english please no complain compuutor game'"

Christ, this guy could backpedal his way through the Tour de France.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
Meh. I doubt the PC will be created, and I don't blame them. The piracy situation isn't as bad as they make it out to be (95%, really?) but its still pretty bad. And yes, console people pirate, but from my understanding, less people do it (still a lot of people though), and its harder to get away with doing it, and less people will have access to the pirated version.