BioWare: Games Without Violence Possible

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
BioWare: Games Without Violence Possible

BioWare's Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka think it's only a matter of time before games that are completely without violence aren't only possible, but will have an audience.

Whether it's Super Mario Galaxy or Gears of War, most of the games we play nowadays involve violence as some central part of their gameplay. Violence is an easy way for a game to create a sense of conflict and drama around the acts of problem solving that lie at the heart of their structures - getting from point A to point B seems a bit more exciting if you have to kill some aliens along the way - but is it really essential to a game's success? BioWare, purveyors of some of the talkiest games out there, don't think so.

"We talk a certain amount internally about whether you need to have combat as part of the experience," Greg Zeschuk of BioWare said. "Certainly the core gaming experience, folks that are used to playing games over the last ten years, they want to have those battle moments, and the fighting. But there are different audiences that would maybe just enjoy the story. I think it's actually possible."

The problem isn't so much that you can't make games that don't have violence of some form - of course you can - it's just that right now there isn't a viable audience for them. Once that audience exists, games without violence might be able to flourish. "I think once we've got the breadth of audience available to us, there could be really good opportunities created by different people coming to games that are story-driven," Zeschuk said.

Zeschuk's partner in crime, Ray Muzyka, agrees. He thinks the games industry has just reached a "mid-point of maturation" where it can start to welcome various kinds of experiences in games as it starts to welcome a wider and wider mainstream audience.

"I think the videogame industry is at that point now where you're going to start to see this blossoming of all kinds of really cool, multiple dimensions of different kinds of settings and genres and kinds of characterization as the gaming industry moves from early adopters to early mainstream, to the mainstream who are now embracing games as their main form of entertainment," Muzyka said.

[Via GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/bioware-mature-industry-can-drop-violence-from-games]]

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Deus Ex already did it, and as mentioned before graphic adventures did it even earlier than that.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
How about all the casual games like Peggle? Or games like the Sims? None of those are centered around violence, and they make insane amounts of money. Sounds like Bioware just hasn't got the memo yet.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
A video game without violence is known as Casual Gaming these days. The non-violent adventure title is a relic of the past.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Tenmar said:
Well someone missed the old days of adventure games that had great stories without violence.

The main problem is that violence is the easiest way to create what most gamers like, conflict. It is that conflict that draws attention because said player gets to play a role of importance to solve the conflict.
AceDiamond said:
Deus Ex already did it, and as mentioned before graphic adventures did it even earlier than that.
I don't think BioWare aren't aware that non-violent games exist and have existed, they're saying that they can really take off as a way of doing things now that more people are into games, some of whom don't want to kill shit in every game they play.

Also, when was there a non-violent solution to a problem in Deus Ex? If you're talking about the killphrases, I guess that wasn't physical violence, but it was still violence.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Tenmar said:
The main problem is that violence is the easiest way to create what most gamers like, conflict.
I really agree.
A good story has memorable characters and situations, but it always centers around a conflict of some kind. Without violence, what conflict can there be and still be interesting? 'Shucks, I'm out of milk, now I must go get milk!'? I suppose you could have a more romantic focus, but that would have to be dynamite in terms of writing. In fact, anything focusing 100% on story would have to have dynamite writing.

Very very hard to pull off, methinks.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Yeah look at 90% of games before the year 2000, really it's not that difficult to make a game without violence.

Conveant0

Feb 4, 2009
I was about to write "Viva Pinata", before I remember how much violence, incest, cannibalism and language (Have you heard the shopkeeper?) it contains.

I could guess you could point out they've already developed Flower for the PS3.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
There are audiences like that now, and they can be reached with the Wii and/or DS.

Wii Fit and Brain Age aren't violent games.

Laura.

May 30, 2009
I agree, you can have games without violence that are great.
For example: Mirror's Edge could have done that without the fight sequences (the part of the game I didn't like!), or Portal without you getting shot wouldn't have been very different (I'm not saying it shouldn't have had turrets, only that if could).

Mar 17, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Um... The Sims doesn't "technically" have violence in it...
I'm sure sealing them in four doorless walls and witholding any kind of basic necessity could "technically" be considered violence.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
That's actually impossible to do really.

Making games without violence these days is like asking for a midget to be tall.

Ernstige Jan

Jun 1, 2009
I never really notice the difference in games with or without violence. When I play Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing I'm just playing for the experience, just like I would while playing Fallout 3. I don't really think about it.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
What about Professor Layton? Or Tetris? Hell, if not for the turrets, Portal is relatively without violence. Not only do these games exist, but some of them are damn good.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
Yes! At last please!

I think they imply games more like Mass Effect and the sort of high-quality, AAA titles that Bioware is more known for. Portal has violence - there is much potential death and shooting. It would be fantastic to see some games that aren't based around conflict so much.