XCom: Enemy Unknown Gets Screens and Details

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
XCom: Enemy Unknown Gets Screens and Details

The first screens and details of XCom: Enemy Unknown are running loose on the internet.

You will recall, I hope, that 2K and Firaxis Game Informer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115063-Firaxis-Reveals-a-Real-X-Com-Remake], we're finally being given a look at what's in store.

The three screens certainly do look the part: an armored goon packing futuristic heat, walking past a holographic representation of the Earth under siege; a cutaway view of an awesome underground base, complete with interceptors and transport aircraft; and a top-down look at the field of battle under the control of someone who apparently has no concept of "cover."

[gallery=600]

XCom: Enemy Unknown is obviously set decades after the 1950s depicted in the upcoming XCom shooter, but the two games will have a relationship. "The shooter takes place earlier in the fiction, chronicling the aliens' first attacks in the United States," according to the report. "The strategy game we're talking about here deals with the global response to the later full-blown alien invasion of Earth."

Gameplay sounds like it will be essentially true to the original. UFO attacks and abductions will be tracked and intercepted in real-time via a global view, while R&D and other tasks can be managed at whatever pace the player chooses and combat is entirely turn-based. It will not be a straight-up remake, however. Your soldiers will have different stats than they did in the original game, for one thing, and Firaxis is "streamlining aspects of the game and removing no small amount of micromanagement."

"From what I've seen I wouldn't call it 'dumbing down' the game so much as getting rid of tedium and uninteresting mechanics," the site says. "Soldiers still die permanently, fog of war and line of sight are hugely important in combat, and you absolutely can lose the game if you screw up too badly."

Yes, I admit, that last bit makes me a little nervous. There's a fine line between "accessible" and "pre-chewed," and while the original X-Com [http://www.amazon.com/X-COM-UFO-Defense-PC/dp/B00069WBKM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1326141784&sr=8-5] had some flat spots, management is by its very nature a big part of the strategy game. I remain optimistic - excited, even - but I really, really hope Firaxis doesn't alienate its built-in base of X-Com fans in an effort to earn the love of a new generation.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Dev 1: "Guys, people REALLY seem to want a turn based XCOM game"

Dev 2: "But we're already making it an FPS"

Dev 3: "Hey, here's a crazy idea - let's get someone to make a turnbased one as well. That way people might stop hating us"

Dev 1&2: "That... that's actually not a bad idea."

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jandau said:
It's actually a brilliant idea, and I'm really happy to see they're tying the two together as I hoped they would - using the shooter as a prequel to set up the strategy game. There's no reason the two can't co-exist happily.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Jandau said:
It's actually a brilliant idea, and I'm really happy to see they're tying the two together as I hoped they would - using the shooter as a prequel to set up the strategy game. There's no reason the two can't co-exist happily.
Indeed. And while I can't speak for all the fans of the old XCOM games who were pissed about the whole FPS thing, I know that I'm no longer pissed. I'm getting the remake I wanted and assuming it's any good, I'll be free to enjoy the FPS if I choose to do so. It's a win-win.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Hot damn, this game looks gorgeous. I have never played the originals, but I might pick this one up eventually, because it is looking pretty awesome so far. I also like how they are tying in the FPS as a prequel to this one. Very clever. Hopefully we won't have the fans of the original complaining about the FPS every time the can now...

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Check that third screenshot, is that an Xbox 'Y' icon? Is this Console instead of PC?

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
FFHAuthor said:
Check that third screenshot, is that an Xbox 'Y' icon? Is this Console instead of PC?
Yeah, on the third screenshot there's a hold X icon and a Y icon that look like xbox buttons. This game is probably going to be multiplatform though.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
FFHAuthor said:
If you look at the guy in the bottom left of that screenshot, it has a blue X on his weapon as well

First thing that caught my eye was just glancing at the thumbnail for the base and the airhanger at the top looking like a skull with the hangers themselves as sockets

EDIT: BAH got ninja'd as I was rechecking the screenshots

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
This is nice to hear. I've been praying for years to get a graphical update to X-COM. The gameplay was as solid as you could get, it just needed a little polish.

Co-incidently, I just started playing UFO:Extraterrestrials again the other day. It's not a perfect remake by any measure. However, once it's fully modded up, it's about as close as you can get. It's worth a try, if only as a gap filler until the new one comes out.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
I'm interested, very interested.

I remember that they were doing an Enemy Unknown re-boot game a decade ago but Strategic Simulations pulled the plug on it (I think it was SSI that was working it...don't quote me on that one...). It they stay true to the X-Com formula, and they're doing it better than the FPS game, I'll be very happy, and if it's console, that does free me (somewhat) from the fears of a PC version I have to upgrade my tower to play.

So 2K can do whatever it damn well wants with their FPS, make this game well and I'll call it even and stop wishing a screaming death upon the fool that made a 50's FPS game using the Mass Effect Engine and called it X-Com.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
what I see:
the devs of Xcom (FPS) and Firaxis had all planned from the beginning, about revealing and hyping their version first, and when the fans raged, they sent Firaxis to show their version, and then reveal that both versions are linked

it was all planned

on topic: I haven't played any of the Xcom games and I'm not particularly interested in them, both the RTSs and the FPS one, so eh
I reserve my opinions on then (since I don't know anything about them, I can't say anything about them)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
X-Com: Restoration does the impossible and restores my faith in the modern gaming industry.

It wasn't so much that I didn't like the concept of the FPS, it was that it was grossly not xcom, a game that is VERY near and VERY dear to my heart.

Sorry about xenonauts...

The hard part about Xcom is that its pretty much pitch perfect, and neither Terror from the Deep nor apocalypse were able to capture the true magic of the original. What XCom needed was improved enemy AI and the graphical overhaul, some additional combat mechanics, and maybe a bit of a cutback on the lists of inventory that needed to be managed.

Will we get that, or will we get something else?

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Well, it looks lightyears better then the FPS. I've grown up with the original and love them still. The last three games where ok-ish but I'ld really like a return of the turn based strategy.
I'ld want more information on the actual gameplay. After what Firaxis did with Civilisation , I remain sceptical weither or not it will be a worthy successor.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
The blue suited guy in the 3rd picture.... is... is his neck broken or something? Is HE the alien? xD

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
I really want this to be good. It's going to have to be amazing to overcome my nostalgia-based view of the original. But hey Human Revolution managed it this can too, and so far it looks like they 'get it'. This is good news.

Please be good.

PLEASE.

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
TitanAtlas said:
The blue suited guy in the 3rd picture.... is... is his neck broken or something? Is HE the alien? xD
Judging by the red icon next to him I'd say probably maybe some sort of infiltrator or a cultist

OT: well it looks like They've used some one of the dreaded words "streamlined" with any luck this just means they've fixed up the interface (because lets face it any one who thinks xcom had a good UI has a screw loose)and not that they got rid of the fun bits

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Between this and the new Jagged Alliance game coming out I will have my desire for turn based squad games that also are fueled by my nostalgia filled. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Looks much better than the first person game, although I still have my doubts. The forest screenshot in particular looks pretty, well, rough. Happy to see base-building and such back however and the games being developed by Firaxis so I'm not without hopes it'll be good.

Honestly however the best thing about this XCOM reboot has been the renewed interest by third party developers and indie groups. People so outraged by the fps that they went 'Hell if they wont make it right I will' and as a result there's a whole slew of amazing projects in the works as of late. Love it!

And hell, even if this doesn't work out Xenonauts is still looking fantastic!