Watch The Muppets Skewer Fox News

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Watch The Muppets Skewer Fox News

Following Fox News's attack on their "dangerous agenda," the Muppets have pointed out how ridiculous the network's claims are.

When The Muppets first came out back in November, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5003-The-Muppets>just about everyone loved it. The big exception was Fox News, <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl6ekkvWnOE>who accused the film of promoting "liberal Hollywood's" bias against Corporate America and "brainwashing our children." For a few days, the Web was alight with comments about how ridiculous these claims were, but they were quickly forgotten and The Muppets went on to gross over $100 million worldwide. Now, though, the issue's been revisited and the Muppets themselves have verbally beaten the snot out of the network for its comments.

Following the UK premiere of The Muppets, Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy gave a press conference where the issue with Fox News was brought up. The two characters immediately started to laugh about the accusations. Kermit took the lead, stating "[Fox News reporters] were concerned about us having some prejudice against oil companies and that I can tell you is categorically not true. And besides if we had a problem with oil companies why would we drive in around the whole film in a gas-guzzling Rolls-Royce?"

Miss Piggy, however, really cinched the deal by following up her amphibian paramour's statement with the comment, "That's almost as laughable as accusing Fox News, you know, of being news."

Fox News has yet to respond to these barbs.

Source: <a href=http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/miss_piggy_karate_chops_fox_news>Dangerous Minds

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Oh, Miss Piggy, I think I love you.

Ironically, I was just watching the episode of the Simpsons where they show that Troy McLure Muppet movie...

"Wilst thou give me thine dainty hoof in marriage?"

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"That's almost as laughable as accusing Fox News, you know, of being news."
And that's all that needed to be said.

Seriously: How the fuck does FOX NEWS of all companies have any sort of credibility in promoting morals and "family values"? They're a knee-jerk "infotainment" show.
Accepting "family values" from them would about as effective as modeling parenting on Jerry Seinfeld sketches.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I applaud the Muppets for blasting Fox News. Admittedly I applaud anyone who blasts Fox news (With the exception of anyone from the WBC naturally) but the fact that this time it was two beloved children's characters just makes it all the sweeter.
That said I still don't get how people could seriously think the Muppets had any agenda beyond just 'give people a good time at the movies', I mean so what if the bad guy was a greedy billionaire oil tycoon. That's like, the standard villain for stories like this.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
wow ...

really? fox news went after The Muppets? really? -.- just when you think a group can't possibly get any dumber, they go and prove you wrong....

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Father Time said:
Vrex360 said:
I applaud the Muppets for blasting Fox News. Admittedly I applaud anyone who blasts Fox news (With the exception of anyone from the WBC naturally)
The only time I can remember being totally on Fox's side of their righteous anger was when they attacked the WBC.
I still think it should be considered a bit of an achievement on the WBC's part that they actually managed to make FOX news look rational by comparison.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Father Time said:
Vrex360 said:
I applaud the Muppets for blasting Fox News. Admittedly I applaud anyone who blasts Fox news (With the exception of anyone from the WBC naturally)
The only time I can remember being totally on Fox's side of their righteous anger was when they attacked the WBC.
Even then then it was less 'on their side' and more 'on a parallel attack vector.'

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
My friend and I had a discussion about this recently, ironically.

About how it should be called 'Fox Opinions'

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ohhhh Burn!!!

There is no way FOX can or will counteract Miss Piggy claim since afterall they would be arguing over a puppet, of all things!!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, this kind of sketch is the type of thing that appeals to people who already agree with what it's saying. Most responders here tend to be on the leftward end of the political spectrum and already dislike Fox news. I'm more right wing and tend to have middle of the road feelings about Fox. I think the hatred and attacks of it go too far, and to be honest those making those attacks are not critical enough of their own, preferred, news sources that are slanted a bit more in their direction.

That said, yes I do think there is too much of a leftward, anti-corperate bias in the media in general right now, and that includes children's programming. The tactic of "get them while they're young" and convincing the children and raising them a specific way is alive and well.

I understand why Fox made the accusations they did, and while I think they went a little too far as this was hardly newsworthy, there are some valid points in there.

I blast Corperate America all the time, if you read some of the things I've said about the game industry (check out what I wrote in response to The Jimquisition just a little while ago), and some of what I've said in response to occupy Wall Street has been unfavorable to that specific movement but has also pointed out that if things don't change outright armed insurrection might not be out of line (for reasons I won't go into).

The thing is though that there is nothing inherantly wrong with big business, just how it tends to be run. We're dealing with a fine system that is increasingly being ruined by a few greedy jerks at the top. Not to mention international concerns over things like foreign robber economies with their patent violations and knockoffs, and how ruthless US business has had to get given the complete lack of support from the goverment on the big issues.

Things like the oil business are corrupt, but at the same time you also have to look at the guys they are dealing with through things like OPEC, as well as nations like China developing due to their robber economy and demanding more resources like oil in response which drives up the prices. The US also won't let the oil companies fully exploit alternative oil sources, one offshore deposit I wss reading about is shared with Cuba, and the goverment won't let our people exploit it because it violates enviromental regulations, despite the fact that the Cubans (who share a right to it) have no problem in doing so.

There are multiple sides to every story, and honestly while this isn't really about the oil industry per se, it applies to business accross a wide spectrum of interests. There are a lot of issues, and really I don't think kids who can't understand the entire situation even if it was explained to them, should be being fed simplistic propaganda leading them towards a specific political outlook.

On issues like this I'm sort of between the parties for example, as I say (much to the annoyance of both sides) the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. People here think I'm radical right, a lot of people I know who are right wingers think I'm a bloody hippy (lol, I wish I was joking) despite my militance. When it comes to big banks and corperate interests a lot of reforms need to be made and a lot of people need to be arrested, held accountable for things that they have done, and cartels and monpolies people deny existing even when they are right there in front of you need to be broken up. At the same time the goverment needs to force US buisiness interests at the point of a gun (going to war with those who steal our patents and produce knock offs if nessicary), and allow us to use our full resources like reforming enviromental laws to allow the common-sense usage of things like offshore oil deposits (even if we obtain alternative energy sources, the rest of the world won't have them all at once, and with our economy drilling and selling oil we would no longer need would be a big help...). Basically you have to go after the corperations, but you need to also address the issues that have contributed to these corperations getting so out of control to begin with.... and no offense, but the Muppets, and other childrens programming that has been accused of this kind of thing in the past, don't cover all sides of this, not that the intended audience would get it if they did.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Oh Muppets. I could not stop laughing when Miss. Piggy completely owned Fox News.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Oh so you're one of those people who think we shouldn't have an EPA then. Do you enjoy breathing? I do. Our president has tried to play the middle for 3 years and it's gotten us nowhere. Only recently has he made the decision to go around Congress and use executive actions to help the country. That's a card that can only be played so often. After what happened to the Gulf, do you honestly trust oil companies to drill offshore? Really? There's a reason those regulations are in place and IMO if they were more strict, if the EPA had the manpower to properly inspect BP's equipment, our oceans would be a lot more clear. Dolphins are beaching themselves rather than swim around the US. How bad do things have to get before republicans look around and go "Oops, my bad"?

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Father Time said:
Vrex360 said:
The best part is that if WBC only protested gay funerals, Fox would have no hate for them. It's only when you get into the territory of protesting the military funerals that it becomes a problem.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Everyone with a brain today hates Fox News. They have been exposed for their incredibly ignorance so many times that their outright idiocy omnipresent in terms of commentary.

The amazing thing is, they can stay on the air, they can stay on the air because they have money, and they don't care, because they want to keep pushing propaganda. The media is not a supply and demand thing. And groups like them are against supply and demand, like all SOPA supporters, they not only grab for money, but time and all media watcher options.

If Fox News were allowed to get their way, they would be allowed to use their money to be the only news outlet you are allowed to watch or believe.

I really wish that if we overkilled them enough times, like this, that they would just go away and disappear like everyone wants them to.

Personally, things like this are another reason I am happy that I do not buy cable or satellite television. Not only is over %90 of what comes on TV utter filth. But buying cable tv or ect. supports bad businesses that do not deserve the money. TV is a plain awful and outdated method of media, the internet is infinitely better than television. Television stations are showing down the most insipid media down your throat. So there's just no reason to buy TV.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
LilithSlave said:
Everyone with a brain today hates Fox News. They have been exposed for their incredibly ignorance so many times that their outright idiocy omnipresent in terms of commentary.
About a year ago, Jon Stewart called out one of their commentators. He (Jon) played a clip where one of her guests accused Fox of shenanigans and she called him a liar, the next clip (dated a week before) showed her displaying those very shenanigans. Proving her wrong, apparently made her cry. I thought that was gold.

But yeah, I bet Fox "news" is going to start a flamewar. With puppets.