UPDATE: Activision (Allegedly) Livid About Black Ops 2 Reveal

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
UPDATE: Activision (Allegedly) Livid About Black Ops 2 Reveal

Talk about shooting the messenger: Activision is apparently punishing a French site that reported on Amazon leaking the news that Black Ops 2 was coming.

The French version of online retailer Amazon apparently revealed that this year's Call of Duty entry would be called Call of Duty Black Ops 2. Amazon quickly removed the product page, but not before it was reported on by French site Gameblog. Since then, Activision is reportedly punishing the site for reporting news of the incident.

According to Eurogamer:

Gameblog then claimed that Activision demanded it remove its original report too. When it refused to do so, the publisher apparently rescinded an invitation to a Transformers: Fall of Cybertron preview event and pulled advertising bookings it had with the site.

The publisher has thus far declined to comment.

OK, let's be honest about this situation: Activision's reaction seems ridiculous. Black Ops (which is pictured) is the best-selling game of all time. Activision's never really shown much imagination when it comes to naming entries in the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_(video_game)#Sequels>Call of Duty series. Since the publisher had already announced that there would be a new Call of Duty game hitting shelves this year, a lot of people believed it would be a sequel to Black Ops, anyway.

While it makes sense that the company wouldn't be happy with Amazon listing the game before it was officially announced, bullying a site that reported on this seems like a surefire way to earn a lot of ill-will.

UPDATE: Activision has <a href=http://kotaku.com/5886237/reporter-activision-blacklisted-us-because-i-refused-to-pull-call-of-duty-sequel-story>responded to inquiries from Kotaku about the situation. The publisher is claiming that it didn't blacklist Gameblog:

Activision doesn't blacklist journalists. We believe this was a misunderstanding and are working towards a resolution.

Source: <a href=http://www.gameblog.fr/news/27494-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-confirme-par-amazon>Gameblog via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-17-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-listed-on-amazon-france-report>Eurogamer

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Wow another Call of Duty game I'm shocked /sarcasm

Does Activision really think we did't already know another one was coming? While not as stale as Dynasty Warriors I'm seriously tired of CoD games; I haven't bought one since World at War and I'll probably wait another 2-3 games before I decide to get back in.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I can't decide which is stupider: Activision thinking we really are that thick, or that not being able to go to a Transformers game preview is some form of punishment.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
In other news, God is freakin' outraged about the English science rag that leaked the details about the sun rising tomorrow.

Get this: It'll be from the east this time. The east, people.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Just once, I'd like to see a report about Activision doing something positive or making a good impression. Is that too much to ask?

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
could have guess from their current track record of naming the call of duty games

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I agree that Activision is over-reacting. But what gets me is why they're even mad to start with - everyone knows that a sequel to Black Ops has been likely looking for a while.

But what I'd love to see Activision trying something brave and giving CoD a rest just for two or three years. Perhaps given a few years CoD fatigue will finally take it's toll and it's sales will wane - I can only hope so.

But as an interesting sidenote, if CoD isn't THE biggest selling game in a few years - what will take it's place?

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Well, as a die hard Call of Duty fan, I couldn't honestly say that I'm shocked about the next game being Black Ops 2. It's what I've expected for a long time and, indeed, what I want considering how awesome Black Ops was. Still, I don't remember Activision going this ape shit when MW3 was revealed early via leak.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
sunburst said:
Just once, I'd like to see a report about Activision doing something positive or making a good impression. Is that too much to ask?
Ohhhhh we can't have that! Activision is currently duking it out with EA to decide who gets the crown of "Biggest Bunch of Pricks in the Gaming Industry."

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
What makes this particularly funny is that I didn't even know this leak had occurred until I read this. I'm sure I would have found out soon once it started coming up more, but did they honestly expect that people wouldn't talk about them trying to cover it up like this? They really don't understand how this works do they?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
RJ 17 said:
sunburst said:
Ohhhhh we can't have that! Activision is currently duking it out with EA to decide who gets the crown of "Biggest Bunch of Pricks in the Gaming Industry."
it is quite a prestigious award, you get a golden phallus engraved with your name.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
That's rough, and really bad press. Still, I guess they do have the right to choose their business partners. If they felt entitled to ask the site to remove the story to attenuate the leak it makes them look like douches sure. But if they thought it was important and they were told that journalistic integrity was more important to the site then I guess everyone made their bed and they'll have to lie in it. Business is about relationships after all.

NO!!! Activision is worse than Hitler! I shall exercise my wrath in a never-before seen manner. Activision shall know the pain of my discontent. I call - Internet Boycott!!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
RJ 17 said:
sunburst said:
it is quite a prestigious award, you get a golden phallus engraved with your name.
Indeed. EA's been making up a lot of ground lately, however Activision's still got a massive head start, especially after merging with Blizzard.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Well we all knew this was coming, I wasn't sure if it was COD BLOP's 2, I was expecting something a little more... original than having a two on the end. Hey at least the 2 isn't followed by Redemption or Revelations.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Ill-will or no, they'll still sell a million billion copies of the next Call of Dough regardless. Seriously, since when has bad press ever stopped Activision when it comes to making money?

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]I can't decide which is stupider: Activision thinking we really are that thick, or that not being able to go to a Transformers game preview is some form of punishment.
LOL! Best post all day! :)

Feb 13, 2008
So Activision are attacking a perfectly legitimate report (Gameblog) of an event (Amazon).

Activision doesn't 'seem' to be attacking Amazon though.

Scapegoating?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
RJ 17 said:
sunburst said:
Hey, don't forget Ubisoft.

OT: We all know it's coming. Apparently, some people still get excited by it. Guess which one of those sentences makes me want to cry!

It's both.

At least the magazine manned up and told them to fuck off. They're journalists, not advertising.