Ubisoft Hints At Toned-Down DRM

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Hints At Toned-Down DRM

Ubisoft Vice President Chris Early says the company is trying to find better ways to protect itself from piracy while not "inconveniencing" gamers who actually pay for their games.

It's no secret that Ubisoft's outrageous DRM policies have left a lot of PC gamers very angry. Many of its games require an "always on" connection to the internet in order to function and if you don't happen to have that, you run into a situation like this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115635-Ubisoft-Games-Unplayable-During-Server-Switch]. Unless you pirated the game, that is, in which case your game will run just fine.

But in a sign that Ubisoft may finally be reconsidering its position, Digital Strategy VP Chris Early said the company is looking for better ways to do things. "Is it fair for someone to enjoy our content without us receiving some value for that? I think at the core of that is, no. Otherwise, other than works of charity, there would be few games made," he told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-23-ubisoft-wants-to-offer-pc-gamers-so-much-value-the-need-for-drm-goes-away]. "The balance, however, is, how do we do anything about that and not harm the person who is giving us value for that?"

One possible idea, he said, was the creation of an "MMO value system" through "ongoing content development, content release [and] engagement at the community level" that would provide gamers with a level of enjoyment that pirated copies couldn't duplicate. Technology has its place - Early touched on the idea of cloud gaming, which isn't too terribly far off what Ubisoft is already doing - but the focus now appears to be on coming up with ways to make its DRM less of a hassle.

"As we continue to keep our player at the centre, we want to find ways that don't inconvenience that player who is paying for it," he said. "We've had a variety of degrees of success as we wind our way down that path. Our plan, our hope is we stay on the less intrusive, less cumbersome side of that path as we go on."

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
??

isn't like it 100% proven DRM is worthless, how are you 'protecting' anything with a defense that's broken in hours?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
??

isn't like it 100% proven DRM is worthless, how are you 'protecting' anything with a defense that's broken in hours?
well, Serious Sam 3 took about a month and a half or so
cool reaction from Croteam too, with the Serious Sam twitter saying things like "thanks guys, god damn pink scorpion was brutal"

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Wait... so I might actually be able to play FarCry 3 when it comes out for PC? o_O

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
teh_Canape said:
Lunar Templar said:
??

cool reaction from Croteam too, with the Serious Sam twitter saying things like "thanks guys, god damn pink scorpion was brutal"
o.0 who are 'Croteam'? need some perceptive here

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I was a definate Purchaser of Anno 2027 and Heroes 6, however I play game on my laptop at work where I dont have an active internet connection. As soon as I'm home I'm back online but for that 8 hours I cant play my own game?

Hence no sales from me

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
That mmo-value works partially BECAUSE of the online only nature of mmos...(the other reason being the community nature of the game) If a regular game is sold like that every time a new patch comes out it will be cracked...Pirates can and will duplicate it.

Seriously are the people are Ubisoft really this damned ignorant about piracy and computers in general?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
teh_Canape said:
Lunar Templar said:
??

Croteam are the developers of Serious Sam 3, you know, the ones who put that DRM in the game

they take things with humor and with a CDProjekt-Red approach

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
Croteam are the developers behind Serious Sam 3, their "DRM" was the infamous "Pink Scorpion" which was unkillable, ultra-fast and, well, pink, that spawned in if you had a pirate copy.

As for Ubisofts' claims, I'll wait and see them pan out first. Hopefully their new "DRM" isn't just "LAWL ORIGIN FOR PC ONLY!"

Apr 28, 2008
Please Ubisoft, just stop with the DRM. You have games I want to buy and play. But I won't as long as you keep up your current DRM practices.

Jodah said:
That mmo-value works partially BECAUSE of the online only nature of mmos...(the other reason being the community nature of the game) If a regular game is sold like that every time a new patch comes out it will be cracked...Pirates can and will duplicate it.

Seriously are the people are Ubisoft really this damned ignorant about piracy and computers in general?
Actually, CD Project Red is doing something like this with Witcher 2. By adding a bunch of content over time to the game. Their most recent addition was the 2.0 patch, which added quite a bit. And next up is the "enhanced edition", where all the extra content the 360 version of the game will be added to the PC version for free.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Irridium said:
Please Ubisoft, just stop with the DRM. You have games I want to buy and play. But I won't as long as you keep up your current DRM practices.

Jodah said:

Actually, CD Project Red is doing something like this with Witcher 2. By adding a bunch of content over time to the game. Their most recent addition was the 2.0 patch, which added quite a bit. And next up is the "enhanced edition", where all the extra content the 360 version of the game will be added to the PC version for free.
And it has done absolutely nothing to combat piracy. Witcher 2 was one of the most pirated games in history and those patches will be available via piracy as soon as they are released. I don't support what Ubisoft has done but the whole mmo-value idea is even worse than always online DRM from a piracy prevention perspective.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Ubisoft will be distributing shock collars. Playing a non-licensed version will result in you getting a shock that should be enough to stun you into a state of mild unconsciousness. But they're right in that the shock collar is not intrusive, nor is the DRM actually in the game code, so still an improvement.

Apr 28, 2008
Jodah said:
Irridium said:

Jodah said:

And it has done absolutely nothing to combat piracy. Witcher 2 was one of the most pirated games in history and those patches will be available via piracy as soon as they are released. I don't support what Ubisoft has done but the whole mmo-value idea is even worse than always online DRM from a piracy prevention perspective.
One of the most pirated games in history? Got numbers to back that up? And don't say "CD Project said it was pirated 4.5 million times", because that was just an estimation. And according to what data we have, than estimate is completely wrong.

According to these numbers [http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2011-111230/], it wasn't one of the most pirated of 2011. And if this list [http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-pirated-games-time/] is any indication, it's not one of the most pirated games of all time.

I'm sure it was pirated, but it wasn't pirated as much as people, including CD Projekt Red, think. Certainly not enough to be one of the most pirated games in history.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
I'm all for making DRM less consumer hating but this is Ubisoft and with their track record this sort of thing it seems more like the community manager and the PR guys had a Skype call and decided to say this to quell the rage from about 2 months ago everyone had forgotten about...

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Irridium said:
Jodah said:
Irridium said:

Jodah said:

One of the most pirated games in history? Got numbers to back that up? And don't say "CD Project said it was pirated 4.5 million times", because that was just an estimation. And according to what data we have, than estimate is completely wrong.

According to these numbers [http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2011-111230/], it wasn't one of the most pirated of 2011. And if this list [http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-pirated-games-time/] is any indication, it's not one of the most pirated games of all time.

I'm sure it was pirated, but it wasn't pirated as much as people, including CD Projekt Red, think. Certainly not enough to be one of the most pirated games in history.
Fair enough maybe not one of the most pirated in history. However, even if it was pirated half as much as CD Project estimated it was pirated twice as much as it was sold. (Sold 1 million copies)

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Ubi will have to one hell of alot of groveling to get back PC users after basically calling every one of us pirates whether we purchase our games or not. Until they can truely demonstrate that the finally understand what the word 'pirate' really means they can kiss my hairy ass.

Here's a hint ubi ... pirate does not mean a typical pc user/pc customer

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
...So you will give us "less intrusive DRM" and in return we must accept an exploitative DLC system? Ha!