Ubisoft Hints At Toned-Down DRM

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
antipunt said:
teh_Canape said:
Lunar Templar said:
??

isn't like it 100% proven DRM is worthless, how are you 'protecting' anything with a defense that's broken in hours?
well, Serious Sam 3 took about a month and a half or so
cool reaction from Croteam too, with the Serious Sam twitter saying things like "thanks guys, god damn pink scorpion was brutal"
Wow, 1.5 months? I'm a huge supporter of 'DRM sucks because hurts legit user, and pirates get it for free almost instantaneously', but that's a pretty impressive long period of protection-time. Doesn't that mean whatever they're doing is semi working?
Might also be that Serious sam 3 isnt really such a high profile game and therefor less people want to crack it, but this is all speculation from me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jodah said:
Are you saying the piracy numbers are still lower than 50% of CD Project's estimates? Even if you go as low as 25% of their estimate you are at a 1 to 1 ratio and I doubt CD Project would inflate the numbers that much.
Because they didn't have any numbers! They don't need to inflate numbers they pulled from their ass! You're comparing actual numbers to fictional ones. Real statistics to guestimates that even the guy who said them admitted were shoddy.

violinist1129

Oct 12, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
o.0 who are 'Croteam'? need some perceptive here
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=croteam

It takes like 5 seconds to find out.

OT: I would tend to believe that they've realized that their DRM is absolute bullcrap and they want to try something different. Whether that something else will be better or worse is yet to be seen.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
violinist1129 said:
Lunar Templar said:
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=croteam

It takes like 5 seconds to find out.
thanks, got it, like 3 times, less then 10 minutes after i asked, from 3 people on page 1, that weren't smug about it

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
teh_Canape said:
antipunt said:
teh_Canape said:
Lunar Templar said:
??

isn't like it 100% proven DRM is worthless, how are you 'protecting' anything with a defense that's broken in hours?
cool reaction from Croteam too, with the Serious Sam twitter saying things like "thanks guys, god damn pink scorpion was brutal"
Wow, 1.5 months? I'm a huge supporter of 'DRM sucks because hurts legit user, and pirates get it for free almost instantaneously', but that's a pretty impressive long period of protection-time. Doesn't that mean whatever they're doing is semi working?
probably
it's the ingame type of DRM, like Arkham Asylum for example
it doesn't prevent you from playing the game, it just fucks your experience until it reaches the point where it becomes unplayable
That is the best kind. Most DRM is draconian and only causes problems for ligitimate customers. This does the opposite. I approve.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Uhhh... I don't get it. They already made the right thing with Rayman Origins for PC... why would they add even more resources to their games they already made by adding more content "MMO style"?, that seems way too risky to me and that could potentially take away some precious resources they could be spending for making new and better games.

How about you only make great games and sell them on Steam?. Sounds crazy, I know, but it could work.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
??

isn't like it 100% proven DRM is worthless,
Not exactly. It serves a purpose. Its like putting out highway patrollers. Do they catch everyone who speeds? Not even close. However by catching the piddly little 1% they do, it discourages others from doing it, or it discourages others from taking it to its extreme.

Now with that said.. Ubisoft? Yeah after creating the monstrosity you have helped to inflict on the industry I say too little, too fucking late. The damage is already done. Even if you were to abandon it, It would take YEARS to regain my trust.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Crono1973 said:
People have to stop falling for this PR stuff. How many times have we heard publishers say things like this only to fall back on ever worse DRM. Remember how after Spore EA pledged to have less intrusive DRM, where are we today with EA?
They have less intrusive DRM.

They've just taken the DLC route instead.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
I stopped buying Ubisoft's games, but unlike EA I don't have any ill-will or distrust towards Ubisoft. If they fix their DRM situation to be more reasonable then I'll be their customer again, simple as that.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Lunar Templar said:
teh_Canape said:
Lunar Templar said:
??

o_O You need to go on steam and buy Serious Sam if you havent heard of it before.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Im a supporter of temporary drm that is the best choice with drm it stops piracy untill its cracked and then its removed.
That is the best drm there is alongside steam in my opinion.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I thought they were already doing this, given that Driver had better DRM? Still, that was still not optimal, so hopefully they'll finally learn their lesson. I just wonder if it's too late.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
solidsnake101023 said:
Lunar Templar said:
teh_Canape said:
Lunar Templar said:
??

o_O You need to go on steam and buy Serious Sam if you havent heard of it before.
Serious Sam, I'd heard of. the name of the team behind it, not so much XD

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
So, I bought a ubisoft game-- anno 2070. Didn't realize it was ubi until it was too late. Didn't care, played anyway, love it. While the always on drm is discomforting, there are tons of integrated meta features that do not exist in other games of its style, with world events and daily events that do serve to spice up and improve game play.

I give anno 2070 a win, despite the killer drm

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
But in a sign that Ubisoft may finally be reconsidering its position, Digital Strategy VP Chris Early said the company is looking for better ways to do things. "Is it fair for someone to enjoy our content without us receiving some value for that? I think at the core of that is, no. Otherwise, other than works of charity, there would be few games made," he told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-23-ubisoft-wants-to-offer-pc-gamers-so-much-value-the-need-for-drm-goes-away]. "The balance, however, is, how do we do anything about that and not harm the person who is giving us value for that?"
That line of thinking essentially shows that Ubisoft isn't going to change anytime soon. Rather than focusing on making their paying customers' experiences better, they're explaining why customers must be inconvenienced for the benefit of Ubisoft.
Steam itself is founded on the idea that they try to provide a service superior to piracy, and Steam is a beacon of success in combating piracy and making people happy (and then there's Origin, a corrupt, perversion of the idea).

Once Ubisoft milks the Assassin's Creed franchise into oblivion, they'll have nothing left. Video games are not a charity, they're a business. But when you're a business like Ubisoft, the market could exist just fine without you. Ubisoft is not the entire video gaming market, and if you constantly piss off your customers, they're simply going to let you die.

thiosk said:
...While the always on drm is discomforting...

...despite the killer drm
And people who pirated the game are having the same experience as you without the "discomforting DRM" and "killer DRM". You essentially paid for those inconveniences.

Cobalt Lion

Nov 4, 2010
*sniffs* I smell marketing BS here. This just sounds too much like they want to go from one form of intrusive DRM her to another, slightly different from.