Canada Gets Glow-in-the-Dark Dinosaur Coins

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Canada Gets Glow-in-the-Dark Dinosaur Coins

Luminescent ceratopsid bones are now legal tender in Canada.

Canadian currency has a well-deserved reputation for sexiness, especially when compared to the dull, drab green of our North American bunkmates, but now the good people at the cryptozoological quarters [http://www.mint.ca] the Mint rolled out last year? That's nothing. Now we've got dinosaurs - and they glow in the dark.

That's right, kids, when you look at one of these babies in normal light, it looks just like a normal dinosaur - a Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachyrhinosaurus], to be specific, bones of which were discovered in Alberta in 1946 - but turn off the lights and BAM! Glow-in-the-dark dinosaur skeleton! Even cooler, the mint says that unlike those cheap glow-in-the-dark novelties you find in cereal boxes, the luminescence of these coins won't fade over time.

[gallery=699]

The Pachywhatchahoozit coin is the first of a planned series of four, all approved by the Jewish lizardwoman [http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/] when the lights go down.

Don't you wish your country had glow-in-the-dark dinosaur money? Alas, these coins won't be released into general circulation. Only 25,000 are being minted [http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/dinosaur-25cent-coloured-glowinthedark-coin-2012-prod1290004] and while their face value is just 25 cents, collectors will have to fork over $29.95 to put one of them in their piggy banks.

Watch this week's Feed Dump to hear more about the glow in the dark dinosaur coins from Canada. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/feed-dump/5599-Nightflight-to-Venus]

Source: Cnet [http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57412545-1/canadas-newest-coin-glows-in-the-dark/]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Booooooo. I want these in circulation. You could ask for a "Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai" instead of a "quarter"!

Yo Andy, can I borrow a Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai?

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
As Graham said in Feed dump today
Its like the canadian mint is run by 10 year olds

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
ash-brewster said:
Our government is run by morons. The mint being run by a bunch of 10 year old's is a step up from what we're used to.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Vivi22 said:
ash-brewster said:
Our government is run by morons. The mint being run by a bunch of 10 year old's is a step up from what we're used to.
Yeah its pretty well known (in the UK anyway) that the Canadian PM is about as popular as the coalition government in the UK.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Dinosaurs the only things older than the queen.
That's a lie. The queen is way older than the dinosaurs and most likely the reason they went extinct.

Also I would like one of these coins...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I got four words to say- Most awesome coin ever!

I do got to wonder if it's neccessary (costing wise). I'm pretty certain that the cost to colour and add the glow in the dark effect must cost more to produce compared producing a regular coin.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
It's a pity that they'll never actually be USED as legal tender - no one's going to use one of those to pay for anything - still, it would be freaking awesome if they WERE in common circulation.

On other currency related news, I think we're phasing out the penny, and those plastic $100 bills? They're maple-scented. Is that not the most awesome anti-counterfeit measure ever? "I dunno, I'll need to check this bill, it doesn't smell like maple". Awesome.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Really this is just an attempt by the Mint to see if they can out-ridiculous Niue's currency:

http://www.pobjoy.com/encyclopaedia/section.php?xSec=165

Yes there is somewhere in the world with Pokemon coins.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
ash-brewster said:
Yeah its pretty well known (in the UK anyway) that the Canadian PM is about as popular as the coalition government in the UK.
What I can't figure out is why the country keeps voting for him... Oh wait, the other parties are worse, the NDP are communists, and the Liberals tried to have a guy who wanted to take away the child tax credit and a guy who hadn't lived in Canada for 25 years (and bash the crap out of Canada while doing so) run for office, both of whome can't find their asses with a map.

Lesser of 3 evils I suppose...

Simon Leonhart said:
Is anyone else wondering if the Queen's skeleton will also glow in the dark?
I'm pretty sure the article author's anti-semitic joke explained that.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
To quote Barney:
"It's federal currency and you people talk about it like it's a Hanna Barbera cartoon.

DVS BSTrD said:
Now they have fossils on both sides.
True story.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
aceman67 said:
What I can't figure out is why the country keeps voting for him... Oh wait, the other parties are worse, the NDP are communists, and the Liberals tried to have a guy who wanted to take away the child tax credit and a guy who hadn't lived in Canada for 25 years (and bash the crap out of Canada while doing so) run for office, both of whome can't find their asses with a map.

Lesser of 3 evils I suppose...
Honestly, the country doesn't keep voting him in technically. The majority of voters didn't vote conservative, they only won because the other parties end up splitting the majority of the vote.

As to them being the lesser of three evils, that's pretty debatable to be honest with much of the stuff they've pulled in the last few years, and the stuff they've tried to do is pretty awful. The only good thing they've done I can think of off the top of my head is scrapping the long gun registry.

And I'll just choose to assume that was a joke about the NDP being communists (you never can tell, some people really don't know what communism really is).

Scarim Coral said:
I got four words to say- Most awesome coin ever!

I do got to wonder if it's neccessary (costing wise). I'm pretty certain that the cost to colour and add the glow in the dark effect must cost more to produce compared producing a regular coin.
Probably, but since these are made, marketed and sold as collector's items (something the mint does so often I question how any of it is collectible) it's not really a concern if it's more expensive than currency put into circulation. As long as it sells for more than it cost to make it.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
Seriously fuck Canada, first they have those 2 dollar coin within a coin things with POLAR BEARS! now this!

I have have jealousy issues.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
So, uh, I take it that this dinosaur is important to Canadian culture or something?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
aceman67 said:
ash-brewster said:
What I can't figure out is why the country keeps voting for him... Oh wait, the other parties are worse
I disagree with that entirely. The neo-cons are bloody insane, unless I'm the only one who thinks increasing the retirement age limit, implementing a MASSIVE federal budget (and lying about 25 billion dollars worth of funds) from a government that's supposed to be fiscally conservative, implementing heavy handed copyright bills, and trying to pass laws that allow the government to monitor everyone's internet is a bad thing.

Or remember that day they secretly passed a bill where foreign residents who were gay and married found out they weren't married any more? Or Harper saying "we won't cut corporate taxes further" then cutting corporate taxes within his first three weeks in office?

I could go on for hours but it's like no one fucking pays attention to anything the neo-cons are doing.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Y'know, since they nailed down the whole paint-on-the-coin trick with the poppy quarters, they've just gone bananas.