248: Only Zerg Rush In

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
The Zerg Rush tactic, is perhaps the greatest and most effective way to rape the AI.. As proven in Countless RTS's, Halo Wars for example Spawn a few hundred Tanks or Thousand Grunts and steamroll across the map. Spore, Spawn 20 Airplanes beat Civ. Mod in 20 minutes.. Supreme Commander spawn Hundreds of Strategic Bombers and go nuts!

But dang it all if it doesn't irk me to no end, and is slightly embarrassed when you spend a couple of minutes planning a strategy. Only to have it be destroyed 2 minutes into your grand scheme by a million slavering Zerglings.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Shjade said:
Tonimata said:
Well, there really is no other way to playing the Zerg...
Unless you spawn lots of Mutalisks. Lots. And lots. AND LOTS of Mutalisks
My preferred method at the moment given how often I'm attacked by purely ground forces. If you can get mutalisks out before the real pressure comes along you can do a lot with just a few of them.

Takes time, though. An aggressive opponent will be in your face before you can get much in the air.
This is true, but that isn't gonna stop me :p
And if all else fails...
ZERGLING RUSH AHOY!

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Tonimata said:
Shjade said:
Tonimata said:
My preferred method at the moment given how often I'm attacked by purely ground forces. If you can get mutalisks out before the real pressure comes along you can do a lot with just a few of them.

Takes time, though. An aggressive opponent will be in your face before you can get much in the air.
And if all else fails...
ZERGLING RUSH AHOY!
For the record, playing 2v2 custom games with a couple of new friecquaintances for kicks when all three of them are silver+ and you're a nubly bronze demonstrates with extreme quickness the flaws of mutalisk-heavy zerg building.

I was chastised by fire, you might say.

Thoroughly.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Shjade said:
Tonimata said:
Shjade said:
Tonimata said:

And if all else fails...
ZERGLING RUSH AHOY!
For the record, playing 2v2 custom games with a couple of new friecquaintances for kicks when all three of them are silver+ and you're a nubly bronze demonstrates with extreme quickness the flaws of mutalisk-heavy zerg building.

I was chastised by fire, you might say.

Thoroughly.
Chastised?! Is that... wait... OOOH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!
Owwwwww.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
I did the same thing when the stupid helper voice demanded overlords! I don't need these zerglings for long, dang it! Just let 'em run without supervision!

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Isn't this the second Dr. Strangelove joke you've made with your weekly thing?

backlashhg

Mar 31, 2010
The zerg absolutely require strategy to play. Its of a different kind, though! (Talking about high-level SC1 play here.)

For example, did you know Zerg are the race the most dependent on flankings, envelopings and pre-positioning their army? Also, they are the most mobile of the 3 races, and they are the most adaptable (because larvae can morph into anything, whereas Terrans and Protoss are bottlenecked by the type of production facility they need).

Zerg units are also very fragile. This means that if you don't position your units properly, you can get completely wiped out and do no damage whatsoever. This is why flanking is so important. For example, if you send 50 zerglings at a terran infantry force head on, all of them will die and not kill a single marine, if the marines (with medics) have reached critical mass. However, if you envelop from the rear and the front as soon as the same number marines are on the move and straggling a little, you can wipe out the entire force (you will still lose a lot of zerglings though, that's just the nature of zerg... lol).

Also, flanking the enemy somewhat avoids brutal AoE style attacks like Psi Storm and Siege tanks

Zerg have one of the most intersting spells in Dark Swarm. Dark Swarm is vital because it creates "safe zones" so the Zerg army can actually compete with the concentrated ranged firepower of Terran in the late game and push the Terran army back. A handful of zerglings and just two lurkers under a dark swarm can do serious damage to a large terran infantry force.

Finally the linchpin of master-level Zerg play is timing and larvae management. Zerg have the msot interesting production system because of the larvae. Terran and Protoss produce workers and units in parallel through different production queues, but the Zerg cannot. The advantage the Zerg have is that if they fully devote their larvae to either workers or units, they can produce either one faster than if the queues were parallel. A true Zerg master is distinguished by the ability to know exactly how many units are needed to avoid dying and then pour the rest into workers- or, conversely, to know exactly how many workers are needed to fuel the machine and then pour the rest into units, and most crucially, where the line between these two phases lies.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I know next to nothing about the starcraft world, but the name of this thread is worth one cookie.

You win!

Falling_v1legacy

No one of consequence
Nov 3, 2009
Have to agree backlashhg,

Zerg absolutely require strategy for all the reasons already mentioned, furthermore, if you've never seen the muta-stack micro... Mutalisks, the basic zerg air units can be stacked to snipe workers, high templar, isolated marines, turrets and generally reek havoc through hit and run tactics.

Map control is important to be able to keep ahead in expansions. And you need to be able to shut down air attacks microing the kamikaze scourge to take out vessels and arbiters.

There is so much strategy involved.

razormint21

Mar 29, 2010
The thing i like about the zerg...

At one minute they could be simple cannon fodder murder mass, another minute they could be the epitome of true guerrilla warfare.

The Protoss may have more powerful units, but nothing can withstand the aggression of a hundred zerglings. And if you add a little more strategy to your aggression, you're unstoppable...

mikekearn

Erudite Loquaciousness
Aug 27, 2008
With all the hullabaloo about SC2, I recently decided to pop back into the original and take it for a spin. I failed spectacularly on the first mission you can get zerg rushed in. It's the one where you have to hold a Terran base for something like 20 minutes to a half hour, or just go and destroy the Zergs if you're good enough. Since I hadn't played in years (it actually took me about an hour just to find my discs) I decided to just wait out the timer.

That... didn't work so well. I technically won, but it was ridiculously close. The Zerg swarmed my defenses and slaughtered all my units, then started destroying every building I had. The timer ran out and I was "rescued" with one building left and even that about to fall.

I've since regained some of my previous abilities, but that was an eye opening moment. The years had dulled the memories of getting zerg rushed, something my friend loved to do. I would always turtle, and hope to withstand his initial barrage long enough to build superior units and tactically eliminate him, but it was always a battle between rushing and planning.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
God I loved watching the creep grow, I'd entertain myself just growing it across entire maps, surrounding my enemies bases with my goo!!!