Anonymous Takes Out Go Daddy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Anonymous Takes Out Go Daddy

The "security leader" of Anonymous has claimed responsibility for taking down the internet's biggest web host.

You may have noticed that Go Daddy, the largest internet domain registrar and web hosting company in the world, isn't currently online. You can thank Anonymous for that, specifically @AnonymousOwn3r [https://twitter.com/AnonymousOwn3r], the "security leader" of the amorphous internet collective, who claimed personal responsibility, independent of Anonymous, for the attack.

"The attack is not coming from Anonymous coletive , the attack it's coming only from me," he tweeted earlier today. As for why he launched the attack, that remains a bit of a mystery. "I'm taking godaddy down bacause well i'd like to test how the cyber security is safe and for more reasons that i can not talk now," he continued. "I'm not anti go daddy, you guys will undestand because i did this attack"

The unfortunate part for the internet at large is that any domain registered with Go Daddy that uses its nameservers and DNS records has also been knocked out by the attack, even if the site is hosted elsewhere. And while a few individuals have expressed disappointment or anger that the attack is harming individuals as well as corporations, the Anonymous collective, despite not being directly involved, has thrown its support behind the attack: both @AnonOpsLegion [https://twitter.com/Anon_Central] tweeted, "By using / supporting Godaddy, you are supporting censorship of the Internet."

According to a poster on the Twitter [http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4500993], writing, "We're aware of the trouble people are having with our site. We're working on it."

At least one company is making the best of the situation, however: Go Daddy rival HostGator [https://www.facebook.com/HostGator] is offering 50 percent off domain registrations and six months free on new hosting accounts for anyone using the coupon code "godaddyisdown."

via: Mashable [http://mashable.com/2012/09/10/godaddy-down/]

Slythernite

Jan 25, 2009
I'm also interested in the reason. I'm concerned how this will effect individuals, small businesses, even larger businesses.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
Please, some country, any country, find these idiots and make them rot in jail. I'm sick of tired of them breaking the laws and shitting all over us under the disguise of "we're doing it for you".

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
GAunderrated said:
Interested to see what the reason was for taking it down.
They said right there. They took down Go Daddy because it supported SOPA and other draconian bills.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
So Anonymous censors the internet to fight "censoring the internet"... That's taking the high ground for ya!

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
I'm amused by HostGators reaction. Corporate trolling achievement unlocked :D

The reasoning behind taking down GoDaddy is of interest too, but HostGator takes the cake.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Yes because anonymous is perfectly justified so long as they say 'censorship' even if they can't say why its censorship. Cunts. At least have a good reason to support the guy before you say he did a good thing.

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
And while a few individuals have expressed disappointment or anger that the attack is harming individuals as well as corporations, the Anonymous collective, despite not being directly involved, has thrown its support behind the attack: both @AnonOpsLegion [https://twitter.com/Anon_Central] tweeted, "By using / supporting Godaddy, you are supporting censorship of the Internet."
Yes, because taking down websites that you don't agree with TOTALLY isn't censorship of the internet.

Edit: Ninja'd

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
That's Anonymous for you: "Freedom of Speech! (unless it's speech we don't like)" I guess all the websites of all the People and Businesses they took down that have nothing to do with what GoDaddy has done are just "Casualties of War" or somesuch? Seems like "FOR FREEDOM" is to Internet Crusades what "All-Natural" is to products.

This sort of crap would not be tolerated for a damn second if it happened IRL.

dangoball said:
I'm amused by HostGators reaction. Corporate trolling achievement unlocked :D
To be fair when life has given you a gift card like that it would be almost criminal NOT to use it for all it's worth.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
GAunderrated said:
Slythernite said:
I'm also interested in the reason. I'm concerned how this will effect individuals, small businesses, even larger businesses.
Based on precedent: I'm going to guess it has something to do with a nebulous, pseudo-philosophical goal used to justify their own pettiness. I dig what Anon does when they stand up for ACTUAL social justice, but anytime it's "To make them pay for their various crimes, TOO MANY TO LIST HERE!", it just hurts their own credibility. I mean what the HELL does "For reasons I can't reveal now" mean?? That sounds like some KGB-logic there, freedom fighters.

Chubbs99

Dec 29, 2009
Personally i'm anti Go Daddy, but thats only because of a service standpoint. IIRC they aren't that great of a host for anyone wanting to operate a e-commerce store. With their support either refusing to open certian ports that are needed, or running "out dated" servers compaired to some competitors. To the point some e-commerce scripts aren't even compatable.

Things could very likely have changed since I found my information a few years ago, I'm not trying to say that it is this way now with a 100% gaurantee. I found my host and i have no reason to change.

As for why someone from Anonymous wanted to take them down, or says they censor the internet... who knows.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
This is great, I love it when bad things happen to disgusting shitty corporations, it just makes my day. hopefully this will will have lasting effects by making Godaddy look bad for having terrible security that can be taken down by one guy.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
You gotta love people claiming leading positions in an anarchic collective who aren't even capable of forming a single correct sentence.

Anonymous is slowly turning into a collective of twats. Nah, actually: Anonymous has already turned into a collective of twats. Don't get me wrong, their ideals are perfectly fine ... The execution has been lacking pretty much every single time they tried to pull anything "big".

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'm sorry, but we still care? Didn't anyone give 'em the memo that the Anon fad is over now?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
You can thank Anonymous for that, specifically @AnonymousOwn3r [https://twitter.com/AnonymousOwn3r], the "security leader" of the amorphous internet collective, who claimed personal responsibility, independent of Anonymous, for the attack.
1. Anonymous has no "security leader". He may be leading a much smaller group, such as LulzSec.
2. Anonymous is much larger encompassing than just the hackers. If this particular case turns out to have originated in England, would we say England hacked GoDaddy? No. There are large parts of Anonymous who do not agree with this behavior, and many were likely GoDaddy customers who got burned.
3. Anonymous is STILL not a formal, organized group. Due to their nameless nature, pretty much anybody can call themselves a member or leader, without any possibility of verification.
4. Why does the story's title credit a group at all? He specifically said he did it on his own.
5. He may be lying. Some people just wanna watch the world give them attention.

Seriously, this sensationalist reporting pretty much across the media is getting tiresome.

P.S. Thanks

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Covarr said:
Andy Chalk said:
You can thank Anonymous for that, specifically @AnonymousOwn3r [https://twitter.com/AnonymousOwn3r], the "security leader" of the amorphous internet collective, who claimed personal responsibility, independent of Anonymous, for the attack.
1. Anonymous has no "security leader". He may be leading a much smaller group, such as LulzSec.
2. Anonymous is much larger encompassing than just the hackers. If this particular case turns out to have originated in England, would we say England hacked GoDaddy? No. There are large parts of Anonymous who do not agree with this behavior, and many were likely GoDaddy customers who got burned.
3. Anonymous is STILL not a formal, organized group. Due to their nameless nature, pretty much anybody can call themselves a member or leader, without any possibility of verification.
4. Why does the story's title credit a group at all? He specifically said he did it on his own.
5. He may be lying. Some people just wanna watch the world give them attention.

Seriously, this sensationalist reporting pretty much across the media is getting tiresome.

P.S. Thanks
1. Quotation marks because, OHMAHGAWD, he actually calls himself Security Leader!
2. And ... exactly what was "wrong" in the article then? The headline may have been a bit off, but "Self-Proclaimed Security Leader of Anonymous takes out GoDaddy" makes for a pretty long headline, don't ya think?
3. Same as 2.
4. This I can agree on. Yet, if any large company's CEO says anything, we consider it representative, and if he calls himself "Security Leader" AND says it through his Anonymous-associated twitter acc it's on him nonetheless.
5. Uh ... so what? GoDaddy appears to be down, and he claims to be responsible for it. That's what the article reports.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Undeadpool said:
GAunderrated said:
Slythernite said:
Based on precedent: I'm going to guess it has something to do with a nebulous, pseudo-philosophical goal used to justify their own pettiness. I dig what Anon does when they stand up for ACTUAL social justice, but anytime it's "To make them pay for their various crimes, TOO MANY TO LIST HERE!", it just hurts their own credibility. I mean what the HELL does "For reasons I can't reveal now" mean?? That sounds like some KGB-logic there, freedom fighters.
The point is, and I wish everyone would get it, that Robin Hood Anonymous everyone's still in love with died a little before the Sony attacks. Since then, there's really only one instance of their involvement where I can say they aren't just trying to be Che Guevaras of the internet, fighting for "freedom" by stomping over everyone they disagree with. Freedom of speech won't survive people committing terrorism in its name.

captcha: "what even"
Exactly my question.