Sony Announces Redesigned PlayStation 3

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Sony Announces Redesigned PlayStation 3

The new PlayStation 3 refresh loses a few inches and pounds.

The seventh and current generation of consoles has been around since 2005. Nintendo is ready to move on, with the Wii U set to launch at the end of this year, but Sony has other intentions: the company has announced the release of a new PlayStation 3 at this year's Tokyo Game Show.

The console refresh will be 20% smaller and 25% lighter than its predecessor, and it will come in two flavors: Charcoal Black and Classic White.

North America will get a 250GB version on September 25th for $269.99, with a "limited edition" bundle that includes a copy of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and a $30 credit voucher for use in Dust 514. For those that are willing to wait, a 500GB version is available from October 30th for $299.99. This will also be a "limited edition" bundle, coming with a copy of Assassin's Creed 3.

[gallery=901]

PAL territories will receive a 500GB model too, but they won't get a 250GB version; instead, they'll receive a PS3 with 12GB flash memory and no hard drive. Users can upgrade this version with a hard drive if they wish, but the 12GB of memory will not be accessible afterwards if they choose to do so.

What say you, Escapists? Worth the money, or wait for next gen?

Source: GameSpot AU [http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/19/3355798/sony-announces-new-playstation-3-console]

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Looks pretty, definitely. But my Slim still works fine.

Guess its good for people who haven't got one yet.

FlipC

Dec 11, 2008
Out of interest how can it be "Classic" white when the default colour scheme is black?

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
I remember they did the same thing with the PSOne,
ie - releasing a compact version towards the end of its life.
did they do it for the PS2?

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Current "Generation", Previous "Generation", Next "Generation";

Thank you so much for keeping DirectX 9 around for 10 fucking years and counting.
uhm... Direct X is a Microsoft product. I don't think the PS3 has that.
It rather has OpenGL or something.
EDIT: googled a bit, I was right

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
llubtoille said:
I remember they did the same thing with the PSOne,
ie - releasing a compact version towards the end of its life.
did they do it for the PS2?
Yes it was called the PS2 slim.

Not that I needed one. I still have the original fat arse one and it is still going strong. To put it into context since I got it 10-11 years ago I have had 3 PC, sent my PS3 into be repaied and had 1 360 blow up (smoke went everywhere, scared the crap out of my dog).

OT: Did anyone ask for or need this? Also let me be the one to ask the most important question. Have you included the safty switch at the back again? Removing it from the last models was a crime againt humanity!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Wait, they want to sell PAL territories a version with 12GB of flash memory and no hard drive? And they won't even have access to that flash when they inevitably upgrade it with a hard drive because you can't do much with 12GB of flash on a PS3?

Why not just sell them the console with no controller and tell people they can upgrade it to include a controller if they want down the road. A PS3 with no hard drive loses a ton of functionality.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Soxafloppin said:
Guess its good for people who haven't got one yet.
From my point of view, not really. During the current generation, I've mostly moved away from consoles and to the PC (except for my Wii, at least until it broke), and the main reason I haven't grabbed a PS3 to play the handful of exclusives on it that I've wanted to over the years is that I just can't justify spending that much money on it when I have so many cheap PC games already. If they came out with a new model that were closer to $100-150, then we'd finally be getting somewhere. Almost $300, plus I have to buy games on top of that? WTF? I guess I'll just have to keep missing out on the half dozen games I was interested in for the time being.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Flamin' Christ nuggets... That horrendous piece of shit I thought and claimed to be a homebrew concoction by Brazilian jenkem huffers is actually a legitimate Sony product. I don't even...

Guess that means I have to get a new Slim before this hunk of re-used parts and plastic hits the stores...

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Vivi22 said:
Wait, they want to sell PAL territories a version with 12GB of flash memory and no hard drive? And they won't even have access to that flash when they inevitably upgrade it with a hard drive because you can't do much with 12GB of flash on a PS3?

Why not just sell them the console with no controller and tell people they can upgrade it to include a controller if they want down the road. A PS3 with no hard drive loses a ton of functionality.
My thoughts too. Seems like a waste.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
My 60GB model still works. And is backwards compatable to boot. Why should I buy another one?

Louis Martin

Oct 14, 2011
Who is this aimed at, specifically? I don't see why less weight is a selling point as it's not a portable and all I hear when they say 'X% smaller' is 'less ventilation so it overheats quicker!'. What about an upgrade that plays PS2 discs and has an external power supply? Way to give the people what they want, Sony.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Macgyvercas said:
My 60GB model still works. And is backwards compatable to boot. Why should I buy another one?
My exact situation! The only reason I'd buy another PS3 at this point in the life cycle would be if old reliable finally gave up the ghost. It's running great, has plenty of room on the hard drive, and plays all my old PS/PS2 games.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
This was by far the least exciting of Sony's anouncements so far with the exception of that stupid music service they announced since everyone else is doing it.
What about the 30 PS3 and 27 Vita titles they announced? They also bumped the JP PSN PS1 classics range up to over 600 games and I'm sure SCEE and SCEA will follow.
Of the new games, God Eater 2 looked amazing, as well as a few other really interesting new IPs. I'm also pretty sure I saw a 3D Parrapa game in one of those montages and it didn't look like it was from All-Stars.