Rumor Mill: Half Life 3 To Have Open-World, Quests

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Rumor Mill: Half Life 3 To Have Open-World, Quests

An anonymous source warns of a very different Half Life game arriving "after 2013."

Put on your speculation hats, kids, it's anonymous source time! Right now, Half Life 2: Episode 3 seems like a ludicrously distant concept. Half Life 3 even more so: The game is so far off that conversations about it start to sound like science fiction. But while we wait for the gears at Valve to finish (or indeed, begin) turning, we can keep ourselves entertained with some wild, unsubstantiated rumors passed on to a French gaming website from a "reliable" anonymous source.

According to this source, Half Life 3 has had a somewhat troubled development cycle, and Valve has killed and "revived" the project several times. That's hardly Deepthroat-level information gathering: Valve is notorious for scrapping and restarting its projects - I mean, take a look at these early Team Fortress 2 screenshots. [http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/222-image-preview-team-fortress-2.html] More interesting are the claims that the latest incarnation of the game sports an open-world, quests and NPCs the player can interact with. If true, that would not only be a departure from Half Life's established gameplay, but from the tightly-structured, linear narrative style that's become synonymous with Valve's single player games.

Outlandish? Perhaps, but not impossible. Half Life 2 dwarfed its predecessor in terms of scope, so it wouldn't be completely ridiculous to imagine that Half Life 3 will do the same. Either way, we're going to be waiting for a while: The game will apparently launch "after 2013."

Earlier this year, Valve Time managed to dig up some Episode 3 concept art from 2008. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.380169-Ancient-Half-Life-Episode-3-Concept-Art-Surfaces] A common fan theory holds that Episode 3 has in fact been canceled, and Valve is hard at work integrating its content into Half Life 3. Valve is staying quiet, though when asked about the project on Spike TV, Gabe Newell responded with, "I hate sharks."

Source: Journaldugamer [http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=el&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.journaldugamer.com%2F2012%2F09%2F17%2Fhalf-life-3-open-world%2F]

Wrann

Sep 22, 2009
Ya I'm going to call B.S. since valve would say nothing until they are ready.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
I heard a rumor that HL:3 is going to contain the meaning of life at the end, do I get a news post now?

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
"Anonymous source", eh?

I will now commence not holding my breath.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Faaaaaaaake. It's so obvious, I don't why people are wasting their time writing articles about this "rumor".

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
6th And Silver said:
"Anonymous source", eh?

I will now commence not holding my breath.
The irony here being that Grey is the writer of this article.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I also heard that Freeman will get a magic flying unicorn called Alister Michael Smith III.

Phoenix8541

No Regrets
Sep 10, 2012
Have to give credit to this article though, people ask for updates on certain titles and its good to see that there is effort to dig for it. Thanks Grey

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Huh what, Half Life 3 ?
Sorry I couldn't hear you over the sound how awesome Black Mesa is.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I'll bet a small box of sweeites and my firstborn that HL2:EP3, should it ever be released, will suffer from the Duke Nukem effect.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
HAHAHAHAHA No.

Half Life? Open World? Sidequests? Whatever the hell the sources are using, i would like to have some please.

IF the rumours happens to be true then it is open season on my favourite developer.

Edit: Actually no scratch that. It is open season on the moron who started this rumour.

"Hey kids! Lets go on a fetch quest to bring ten antlion ballsacks to a grumpy old man in the company of Alyx who is mourning after his dad." (fuck spoilers)

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I have sources that say the game will make you shit gold and cure cancer.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
If there will be anything extraordinary about HL3, other than just being a great shooter, then considering the rumors about Valve's hardware development and their hype of the Oculus Rift, it will be VR based.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Probably B.S., but if not that would be bad news.

IMO Half-Life isn't about Open-World...like...at all

Especially Half-Life 2 was so great because it's linear Leveldesign was greatly paced and felt like an organic "Journey".

(Also...honestly..F**k Open World, unless it's an integral part of the gameplay concept it usually ends up being a playground for stretched, padded gameplay time with boring fetchquests and constant backtracking)

But yea, probably B.S., so...