XCom: Enemy Unknown Demo Hits Steam

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
XCom: Enemy Unknown Demo Hits Steam

An XCom: Enemy Unknown demo has made itself known.

Did you know there was going to be a demo for XCom: Enemy Unknown? I did not. So it was a pleasant surprise when my Twitter feed lit up just now with all sorts of excited people yelling, "XCom demo! XCom demo!" The fact is that I'm already committed to the game - Take-Two could release XCom: The Spreadsheet and I'd throw money at it - but if somebody wants to let me start shooting at those extraterrestrial jerks a couple weeks early, I'm certainly not going to say no.

The XCom: Enemy Unknown demo is available now on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/], which also indicates that the pre-purchase rewards offer is moving along smoothly. The first two tiers, the "Elite Soldier Pack" that includes a "classic XCom soldier" and various customization options, and three unique Team Fortress 2 items have already been unlocked, while the third and final reward, a free copy of Civilization V, is about halfway to being achieved.

Unfortunately for those of you who prefer to interface with your entertainment through the mashing of the buttons, the XCom: Enemy Unknown demo is PC-only. The full version of the game will be released for consoles as well as the PC, however, and will arrive on October 9.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/]

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
eeeeee

I never even played the original, but ever since I got Advance Wars 2 for my GBA as a kid, I've been hooked on turn based strategy. This game looks amazing and I can't wait.

Also, us not in America must wait until October 12th. :/

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Over half an hour and no comments... methinks everyone that saw this post immediately went to steam to start downloading the demo and never got around to thanking you for the info...

[edit] AAAAHHHH!!! Ninja'd by seconds!![/edit]

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Lawyer105 said:
Over half an hour and no comments... methinks everyone that saw this post immediately went to steam to start downloading the demo and never got around to thanking you for the info...
Yep, downloading now. 36 minutes left!

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
Downloading right now. My internet is not the best and I am going to play Borderlands 2 with my friends today, but hopefully it will done by tommorow.

This gonna be good!

Lokoloshe

Nov 8, 2010
Saw this piece of news and hurried to start downloading. On the store page for Enemy Unknown it now says that the game will unlock October 11th instead of the 9th like it used to, hope it's some kind of error...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Already got the sucker pre-ordered. so I guess there's not much point to me playing the demo, eh?

Oh screw it. Downloadin' now.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Switched my Preorder of Resident Evil 6 to X-Com.

*ah'm so exciiiited, and ah just can't hiiiide it*

Also, bullshit that the fancy bells and whistles special edition doesn't actually come with the extra in game content that the slightly cheaper special edition.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Error on downloading for me "(No Subscription)" Do I have to have the Steam version Pre-Ordered to get the Demo?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
As long as everyone gets a turn :p

Captcha: Know your rights
fucking libertarians
...Okay that's actually pretty funny being Ninja'd like that.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Lucane said:
Error on downloading for me "(No Subscription)" Do I have to have the Steam version Pre-Ordered to get the Demo?
That seems to be the case. I already have it pre-ordered for ps3, so I'm not about to switch it to the PC just to play the demo.

Seems counter-intuitive to release a demo for a game for only those who have the game pre-purchased. Hopefully it's sorted out soon.

TKIR

Sep 7, 2011
Lucane said:
Restart Steam. I had that issue, quick restart and downloading the demo now.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Lokoloshe said:
Saw this piece of news and hurried to start downloading. On the store page for Enemy Unknown it now says that the game will unlock October 11th instead of the 9th like it used to, hope it's some kind of error...
Depends where you live... if you're an American (and therefore, required by law to pretend to be different from everybody else) you can have it on the 9th, 'cause everybody knows that American's take time off work for games.

If you live anywhere else, you can pick it up after the 11th so that it doesn't impact the work-week, like normal folks.

:p

captcha: no means no

What's it trying to tell me?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
FloodOne said:
Lucane said:
That seems to be the case. I already have it pre-ordered for ps3, so I'm not about to switch it to the PC just to play the demo.

Seems counter-intuitive to release a demo for a game for only those who have the game pre-purchased. Hopefully it's sorted out soon.
My pre-order set-up as well ^^;

TKIR said:
Restart Steam. I had that issue, quick restart and downloading the demo now.
Thanks that seems to have fixed it though I only had to log out and and back in as me.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I've managed to resist the proder. If I get the demo, I have a feeling that my resistance will fail. Good thing I'm not at home right now or I'd probably be downloading already.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Haven't played X-Com before, but I confess the ads have sparked my interest.