XCom: Enemy Unknown Demo Hits Steam

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
nikki191 said:
One thing that concerned me was with it being so cinematic with cutscenes and voiced mission briefings, etc is the replay value.I really hope we dont get the same mission choices in the same order as that was one of the best parts of x-com every mission was a complete unknown.

It has some interesting touchs that were lacking in the original like opening doors and entering through windows and I can see how it will work on a console too.
well it was possible to open doors and enter by windows... if you blew them up before with your gun...

seriously, very excited with the game. After playing it for longer than some of the members here have lived (i still have the original game with the "look in the manual page X, get the code in the bottom" DRM) and i had pretty high expectation, but i really think they got it right.

Wareve

Aug 17, 2008
nikki191 said:
It has some interesting touchs that were lacking in the original like opening doors and entering through windows
You could do both of those things in the original. It was like an adventure game. *Use "GUN" on "DOOR"* *Use "GUN" on "WINDOW"* *Use "ROCKET TANK" on "ENTIRE CITY* ect.

jmesch04

May 16, 2012
I was also really underwhelmed by the demo. I have pre-ordered and I will not change that I can tell it will be something I like. I can't find the time to play the old game anymore because a mission can take sooooooooooo long at later stages. This breaks it down into more manageable bites. But I wish I hadn't played this, it's just terrible seeing how could it could be, but having it locked to baby mode for all but like the last 3 moves of the second map. *sadface.gif*

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Never played any of the X-Com games before, but I enjoyed the demo once I got past the minor gripes like all the unskippable cutscenes. I'm not sure the demo has convinced me to buy the full game though because (from what little I know of X-Com) base management/research plays a big part and the demo doesn't really have either.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I downloaded it and to be honest it just feels like a console port.

Not a bad port but a port nonetheless.

During the second mission did the camera suddenly go crazy and constantly move to the Skyranger for anyone else?

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Ed130 said:

During the second mission did the camera suddenly go crazy and constantly move to the Skyranger for anyone else?
Honestly it didn't felt like a port to me, the camera was pretty smooth, the mouse control was very intuitive and I didn't experiment that glitch

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Ed130 said:

I didn't feel much port-itis from the demo. But the demo was rather short and hard to get that impression from it.

If anything, I really liked the atmosphere. They did a good job of making the aliens seem monstrous and fearsome. It might just be me and my alienphobia, but the aliens in the first 2 XCOM games really freaked me out.

Oh, and I lost my medic during the 2nd mission. Because I blew him up with a rocket launcher :3

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
cathou said:
It only happened in one of the playthroughs so I'm hoping it's just a rare glitch in the demo version.

Tohuvabohu said:
You are right about the atmosphere, the first mission while rather contrived set the tone that you were facing an enemy that outclassed you in nearly every way.

The main features that screamed console port to me were the cycle ability with the units and lack of mouse control in the base. The base could be excused due to the short nature of the demo but not giving each unit a hotkey reeks of a quick conversion from console to PC.

The gameplay itself is good, it just the demo's faults (such as they are) rather large size and short length of gameplay make me wonder why they released it in the first place.