The Bicycle of the Future!

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Bicycle of the Future!

Want something cool and more than a little utopian? How does a solar-powered bike that gets you on the bus for free sound?

I'll be honest with you, I love concept vehicles and this one is so cool that I thought I'd share. London Garden is a vision for the English Capital that removes cars entirely from the center of the city by 2030.

The concept centers on the semi-electric bicycle that is charged by both solar and pedal power. The charged batteries on the bikes can then be used to power electric buses [http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6lbCxbAUMgA/SjRErgL_ADI/AAAAAAAAAMY/B4oQXNJcAv8/s1600-h/3_bike_bus_seat.jpg] in exchange for bus fare.

Also included in the design are bike storage stations [http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6lbCxbAUMgA/SjRFBLXpCSI/AAAAAAAAAMg/wJiKgB7aBe4/s1600-h/2b_bustop.jpg] that also generate electricity, although they look like creepy techno-organic trees. The design is the work of a four person team from the Royal College Art and is the winner of a Seymour Powell award in the Future City Mobility contest.

Some more sketches can be found here [http://martenwallgren.blogspot.com/2009/06/winner-seymourpowell-award-for.html].

Source: DVICE [http://dvice.com/archives/2009/07/bike-of-the-fut-1.php]

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
So awesome it just might be more awesome!
Mullahgrrl said:
But why would you want to go on a bus if you have a bike?
So that you don't have to walk once you get off the bus, if your location is far from the bus stop.

NoriYuki Sato

May 26, 2009
i personally think it'd be kinda cool to see that in stores, it's pry be uber expensive...but i'd totally get one =D

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
That is interesting although I think the bike cells powering the bus thing could become a problem. What if the bus runs out of juice, starts using the bike cells, and a majority of cyclists get dropped off in one spot? Course I guess the bus could be solar powered too...maybe I'm just over thinking it.

RedPandaMan

I bought this to skip ads.
Oct 23, 2008
It sounds cool. But to help power electric buses, wouldn't there need to be a lot of Bikes to make it worthwhile?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
That's so awesome that I may want to learn how to ride a bike just so I can use it...

... Yeah, a twenty-year-old that can't ride a bike. Go ahead and laugh -_-'

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Thats's pretty cool. I do wonder how expensive such a bike would be though, and how fragile it would be in regards to being damaged (would falling from your bike destroy the solar cells?) and how expensive it would be to repair if that were to happen...but still looks cool

ZeroMachine said:
That's so awesome that I may want to learn how to ride a bike just so I can use it...

... Yeah, a twenty-year-old that can't ride a bike. Go ahead and laugh -_-'
I turned 19 two months ago and I can't ride a bike either. ;D

SevenStarSonata

Jul 26, 2009
Mullahgrrl said:
Because a bike requires an awful lot of energy to pedal, and leaves you exposed to the elements (and creepy people on the street), whereas riding a bus takes no effort on your part, and keeps you nice and warm/cool and dry while you ride to your destination?

I like this bike if for no other reason than it folds up all spiffy-like. :D Cool beans.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mullahgrrl said:
There is lots of reasons. weather changes, hills, just being to tired to get back, having to go alot further than you body will allow you to pedal. the need to get somewhere quickly but you can take your time on the trip back. The buses in my city have bike racks in the front. I see people using them all the time.

Asciotes

Jul 24, 2009
that actually seems like a really good idea, just what would you do with the bike when your on the bus?

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
megapenguinx said:
That is interesting although I think the bike cells powering the bus thing could become a problem. What if the bus runs out of juice, starts using the bike cells, and a majority of cyclists get dropped off in one spot? Course I guess the bus could be solar powered too...maybe I'm just over thinking it.
The busses would be powered solely by the bikes, they would just get a little extra juice from them to help keep the busses from having to recharge. It'd be like carpoolong, but everybody gave you a cup of gas when they got in. You still have to fill up the tank, but you do it less often.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
That thing looks Fancy!

To bad I already have a working bike otherwise this would be on the list of must haves