Celebrate 10 Years of Xbox Live With Free Stuff

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Celebrate 10 Years of Xbox Live With Free Stuff

Gamers have accumulated a combined Gamerscore of over 270 billion on Xbox Live.

Oh, they grow up so fast! Xbox Live turns ten years old today, and Microsoft is celebrating with some gifts for gamers. Today and tomorrow, the recent Summer of Arcade Kinect title Wreckateer will be available for the low, low price of free. You can also get a chance to win a very limited edition Xbox 360 console by downloading a special 10th anniversary gamer pic [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/anniversary/].

There are even more Xbox Live deals to be had over the next few days as the birthday party continues. If you missed out on Xbox Live Arcade fan favorites Castle Crashers, Battlefield 1943, Fruit Ninja Kinect, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved, Bastion, Peggle, or Full House Poker, now's the time to buy. These games are all 50% off until November 22.

Xbox Live made its way to the original Xbox a year after Microsoft's first console launched, and it's come a long way since then. According to Xbox Live Corporate Vice President Marc Whitten [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/anniversary/whitten-letter], "14.5 billion Achievements have been unlocked worldwide" on the service, "accumulating a total combined Gamerscore of more than 270 billion." In 2012, an average of 9.4 million gamers enjoyed online multiplayer on Xbox Live every week.

The free and discounted games are on sale now, so feel free to get downloading.

Source: Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/2012/11/15/happy-anniversary-to-xbox-live/]

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
That is beautiful, you scored yourself a free game! Now just buy a Kinect to use it.

I wonder if next up they will offer some free demos and a 90 minute feature film of ads.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Oh look at that. The competition to win a limited edition 360 "is not available in your region" (UK). Thanks for thinking about us Microsoft :(

Apr 5, 2008
Gamerpic isn't available outside of the United States, so that's s**t. Game is uninteresting and presumably needs Kinect? Pointless. Other s**t at half-price? I won't buy anything on XBL since MS were happier for hackers to steal £150 from me than to keep a customer. Wonderful offer, I'm glad I was a part of the celebration. *rolleyes*

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009

Way to take a happy occasion and trash it with your cynicism, guys. Really? You came here to complain, yet again, about Micro$oft's business practices that at this point is far beyond old news? How about talking about something else for a change?

Like how far Xbox Live as come since the days of Halo 2?

[sub]Christ, you guys are buzz-kills. Grow up.[/sub]

OT: What a 10 years it has been. I remember the days of the Xbox 1 and its crude interface. It was a different era. Now look where we are, eh? How time flies.

Thank you, M$, for the sweepstakes gamer picture and the free Kinect game. Those of us with Kinects will enjoy it.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
On the upside to the negativity, people who have paid for xbox live since it was first released have gotten free 360s.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
You can also get a chance to win a very limited edition Xbox 360 console by downloading a special 10th anniversary gamer pic [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/anniversary/].
I read the T&C and it's US residents only. I'm surprised it's not even North America, just US only.

Sucks ass. Apparently being american gets you invited to all of the parties...

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
I think what Xbox live offers is pretty good, and its the best console service.

But a couple months ago I just could no longer really find a reason to justify paying for it now that I've been playing mostly Pc, or single player Xbox games.

I just don't really think its worth the price of the monthly fee just so Microsoft can withhold game content for the Xbox only.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
So assuming if I lived in the US I could use my Xbox 360 to win an Xbox 360?

Uh yeah ... amazing.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Cheers!

Oh wait "not available in your country". Well that sucks.

OH WAIT You need to kinect to play Wreckateer. Oh, fuck you then.

Evil Smurf said:
Wait, some people don't have Bastion? GO BUY IT NAO!
Never!

I honestly didn't enjoy it when I played the demo. And before you say the music is great, I have the soundtrack and love it to bits.