255: Gaming's Social Contract

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Never finished Far Cry 2 either.
I stopped when I headshotted by a fucking rocket launcher from waaaaaaay over on the other side of whatever the hell that place was.
I heard something, looked to the right, rocket in the face.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
ultrachicken said:
Callate said:
Thanks. I think this explains in a nutshell at least five of the reasons why I seem to be one of the few people in the world who really didn't like System Shock 2. (Stop shooting me with empty, broken shotguns, dammit!)
A reason for the shotguns being broken might be the fact that you might have broken them as you were killing the guy, which also would ruin all the ammo inside the shotgun.
It happens way too often for that. It also happens regardless of whether the baddy carrying the gun was hit in the head, or taken out from behind with a melee weapon. Unfortunately, the real reason most of the shotguns carried by the zombies who have been shooting you are broken and empty is that the game's creators chose a highly contrived and poorly conceived method of limiting the resources available to the player.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Playing Deus Ex: HR - when I hack a console sometimes it aborts in 10 seconds and sometimes the alarm doesn't even turn on, what was an impossible task 30 seconds ago becomes a "gimme"

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
It's a shame the author doesn't know the difference between social contract and social convention.