Research Firm Predicts Xbox 360 Will Outpace Wii, PS3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Research Firm Predicts Xbox 360 Will Outpace Wii, PS3

As the smoke of battle clears, it appears that the Xbox 360 and not the Nintendo Wii will emerge victorious in this round of the console wars.

Remember back in 2009 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83883-Analysts-Unimpressed-By-Ten-Million-Xbox-Sales], when it was predicted that even in a highly unlikely "worst-case scenario," the Wii had built up far too much of a lead for the 360 or the PlayStation 3 to even think about catching it?

Welcome to 2013, kids.

Somewhere out there a fat lady is warming up, but she won't be singing odes to Nintendo when the curtain rises. Instead, according to DFC Intelligence, the Xbox 360 is the Scipio Consolus of this generation, finally bringing the once-unbeatable Wii to heel. The company said that by 2017, Microsoft will have sold 46.1 million Xbox 360 consoles, while the Wii is expected to hit 42.1 million units. The PlayStation 3 is predicted to come in a distant third, with 33.5 million units sold.

"Shockingly it was in the later years of its life that the Xbox 360 really took off," it said. "The success of Microsoft and the Xbox 360 during the past two years highlights a radical changing of the guard in the game industry."

DFC also pointed out that Nintendo is in a "major downward cycle" and that despite plenty of positive-sounding "spin," the Wii U hasn't done much to reverse its fortunes. "The reality is that many Wii U systems were sitting unsold on shelves at year end," it continued. "Consumers love games more than ever but a new order of game providers is resulting in market shifts that are proving painful for Nintendo and other established game companies."

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-14-xbox-360-not-wii-to-win-this-console-generation]

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121472-PS3-Overtakes-Xbox-360-In-Shipped-Consoles

Published 3 day ago.

The way you stop me calling Escapist journalism a joke is to start using titles like "Analysts predict the 360 will have sold the most consoles by 2017"

And stop using headlines like
"Xbox 360 Wins the Console War"

Its controversial and gets hits, maybe even funny. It's also a really bad way to conduct a news section. And leads to you publishing two articles within 3 days, whose headlines flatout contradict each other. The joke isn#t meant to be you

(Also you might note that this is US sales only, because we#ve already sold twice as many PS3's globally as the 'winning' Xbox sales in 2017. I'm just saying that the way you phrase it makes it sound like the article you've linked to hasn't been properly read. It even says US in the tagline)

EDIT: Thanks for changing, I appreciate it. I've been a bit heavy handed and I'm thankful you just made the correction, despite the criticism...

Now if you could just mention someone that it#s only predicted to outsell in the US and those are only US figures of predictions you're quoting there, not the global sales (I mean the 360 has already sold 70 million consoles as reported in the Escapist article I'm linking to) =D

EDIT EDIT: Ah I was wrong, thanks to the person who changed the title for us

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
This just isn't true...
Not only has the PS3 out-shipped the 360, but the 360 is nowhere near the number the Wii has sold. Who wrote this, Microsoft?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I loved my 360, but it died. I have 2 PS3s going strong, and a Wii gathering dust until my kid has another party she needs to do a party game for.

These numbers are fun, but the winner matters less than, are there Dreamcast like losers this generation? Between the big 3, happily, no.

I think the 360 was an even bigger success than you let on in that, I think people were buying Xbox live and points and games for it while the Wii did not do as well as that. If we take that into account (extras rather than just consoles) I wonder how the PS3 did? I bought Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas ONLY because I wanted to play on PS3. Dunno what that does numbers wise.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
You should mention that this is specific to US sales Mr Malygris!

They forget to mention that Nintendo already 'won' this generation by not digging itself a giant financial hole in the process. Microsoft would be completely commited to the next generation of hardware, were they not trying to rebuild on five years of red bank statements, which more or less renders the second half of the 360's life moot as far as profit goes.

In case anyone forgot, in June 2007 Microsoft added $1.05bilion in costs to it's own forecasts, specifically to deal with RRoD related costs and replacement.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
When your forced, erm, retarded enough to buy 2 or more consoles because the hardware is SHIT...
Yeah, I can see how sales would so well.

I'm not saying the 360 didn't do well, hardware wise, but I AM saying that M$ made a TON of money from people buying 2nd or 3rd or 4th or...consoles because their originals crapped out on them.

Memor-X

Oct 3, 2010
well ofcause the x-box 360 is going to sell more consoles by 2017, because Sony and Nintendo would have moved to the next generation by then and people will stop buying PS3 or Wiis

BrotherRool said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121472-PS3-Overtakes-Xbox-360-In-Shipped-Consoles

Published 3 day ago.
well that post was talking about current sales and about 1 year ahead, but it has a crap load of less extrapolation on the market than a prediction of 4 years ahead with the added fact we should be ending the current console era in the next year or 2

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
BrotherRool said:

Published 3 day ago.

The way you stop me calling Escapist journalism a joke is to start using titles like "Analysts predict the 360 will have sold the most consoles by 2017"

And stop using headlines like
"Xbox 360 Wins the Console War"

Its controversial and gets hits, maybe even funny. It's also a really bad way to conduct a news section. And leads to you publishing two articles within 3 days, whose headlines flatout contradict each other. The joke isn#t meant to be you

(Also you might note that this is US sales only, because we#ve already sold twice as many PS3's globally as the 'winning' Xbox sales in 2017. I'm just saying that the way you phrase it makes it sound like the article you've linked to hasn't been properly read. It even says US in the tagline)
Quoted because I agree. And why is that an acceptable reason for quoting? I do not know. I am under the influence of alcohol. Friends don't let friends drink and surf.

OT: Welp. Like the gentleman above implied, it's a rather silly article, but hey! At least I can tell everyone that the 360 was by far my least favourite and least played console of the generation! So there's that!

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
There are many problems with this post (the American only figures, the likelihood all three consoles will be manufactured and sold for years, the entire concept of 'console wars') but the biggest is that this feels like some fan-boy flame bait that I wouldn't expect from the escapist forums let alone the actual news stories.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Tanis said:
When your forced, erm, retarded enough to buy 2 or more consoles because the hardware is SHIT...
Yeah, I can see how sales would so well.

I'm not saying the 360 didn't do well, hardware wise, but I AM saying that M$ made a TON of money from people buying 2nd or 3rd or 4th or...consoles because their originals crapped out on them.
But if you bought another one that was your own fault considering Microsoft would have replaced it free of charge.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Folks, we all know what the real winner of this generation is. It's the Terminator

Which according to my predictions, will sell over 750 million units by 2020.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
getoffmycloud said:
But if you bought another one that was your own fault considering Microsoft would have replaced it free of charge.
I know of at least a few people who either just didn't want the hassle, or had their "fixed" 360 burn out on them and replaced it with a newer model just to avoid a repeat.

As for the headline, yeah, I'd have to rank it up as either clickbaiting or rampant fanboyism, and neither is a particularly good thing for someone theoretically operating as a journalist to do.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I thought the console war was long dead and buried already.

Also didn't the PS3 just pass the Xbox in consoles sold. And the Wii really is just too different a console to really count anymore.

Really I don't think any console in particular "won", each has its own successes and problems.

This seems more like an opinion piece that actual news.