Disney Shelves 3D Star Wars Sequels

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Disney has put the brakes on plans to release the second and third Star Wars prequels in 3D.

Star Wars honcho George Lucas announced plans to remake all six Star Wars movies in 3D back in 2010 and in February 2012 the first of them, The Phantom Menace, hit the big screen. But it didn't hit it very hard, debuting to just $23 million in the U.S., although Wikipedia says it has earned a little over $100 million in total. 3D-ized versions of the second and third flicks, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, were supposed to be released in September and October of this year, but that plan has now been scuttled.

"Lucasfilm has decided to postpone this fall's scheduled release of Star Wars Episodes II and III in 3D. Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans," it says. "We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date."

It's not a whole lot to go on, but it's also not terribly difficult to get the feeling that Disney is looking to distance itself from the prequel trilogy. It wouldn't be a terrible PR move given the not-entirely-positive reaction to the prequel trilogy and Lucas' ongoing meddling with the franchise, yet the irony is that those three movies feel far more Disney-esque than the originals. Whatever the reason, it looks like Hayden Christensen is going to remain utterly without depth for a long time to come.

Sources: Starwars.com [http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/exclusive-no-more-star-wars-3d-prequel-releases-lucasfilm-passes-to-focus-on-new-trilogy/]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
And the only thing of value that was lost was the battle of Hoth in 3d.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
You know your commercial endeavour has gone too far when even Disney goes "nah, you're just milking it now, bud"

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Andy Chalk said:

Disney has put the brakes on plans to release the second and third Star Wars prequels in 3D.

Star Wars honcho George Lucas announced plans to remake all six Star Wars movies in 3D back in 2010 and in February 2012 the first of them, The Phantom Menace, hit the big screen. But it didn't hit it very hard, debuting to just $23 million in the U.S., although Wikipedia says it has earned a little over $100 million in total. 3D-ized versions of the second and third flicks, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, were supposed to be released in September and October of this year, but that plan has now been scuttled.

"Lucasfilm has decided to postpone this fall's scheduled release of Star Wars Episodes II and III in 3D. Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans," it says. "We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date."

It's not a whole lot to go on, but it's also not terribly difficult to get the feeling that Disney is looking to distance itself from the prequel trilogy. It wouldn't be a terrible PR move given the not-entirely-positive reaction to the prequel trilogy and Lucas' ongoing meddling with the franchise, yet the irony is that those three movies feel far more Disney-esque than the originals. Whatever the reason, it looks like Hayden Christensen is going to remain utterly without depth for a long time to come.

Sources: Starwars.com [http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/exclusive-no-more-star-wars-3d-prequel-releases-lucasfilm-passes-to-focus-on-new-trilogy/]

Still not a single word about re-releasing the original versions of the original trilogy in Bluray. Damnit Disney!
I don'e think that's actually Disney's call to make right now. I may have misheard this, but I think Fox still holds onto the DVD/blu-ray rights of the original and prequel trilogies for a few more years before they revert to Disney.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rainboq said:
Wrong trilogy. Though the fight scenes in Episode 3 might be worth the price of admission.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I highly doubt 3D was the reason people didn't go to see a cinema re-release of Phantom Menace...

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Well, good riddance I say! I got dragged to see Phantom Menace in 3d and it was awful. Compared to films actually shot in 3d, this post-conversion was atrocious. I haven't seen other movies that are post-coverted into 3D, but if they all end up looking like cardboard cut outs moving in front of different cut outs some distance away then I don't want to.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Disney.

Give me HD Re-releases of the original theatrical versions, on Blu Ray or digital download. Use the original film, don't re-touch it, don't add in enhanced effects, or colour, or sound, just give my some of my favourite films ever how they looked when I was little and watching them on a giant screen through a projecter at my Grandad's.

Seriously Disney, it's a license to print money.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Oh, come on! I was actually looking forward to Revenge of teh Sith 3d!

Also: The Clone Wars TV show was canceled. Grrrggg...

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Disney.

Give me HD Re-releases of the original theatrical versions, on Blu Ray or digital download. Use the original film, don't re-touch it, don't add in enhanced effects, or colour, or sound, just give my some of my favourite films ever how they looked when I was little and watching them on a giant screen through a projecter at my Grandad's.

Seriously Disney, it's a license to print money.
I had them on VHS and recorded them digitally, but there a number of details that cleaned up in the remakes that did make the movies look cheesy.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Rainboq said:
Wrong trilogy. Though the fight scenes in Episode 3 might be worth the price of admission.
Maybe the opening fight, MAYBE. I'd walk out after than/

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Meh. Added 3D is the biggest garbage you can do to a film after Lucasing it. This is probably the best news since they said that M. Night Shyamalan was not going to direct Ep VII.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I really don't care about 3D one way or the other. I don't love it, I don't hate it. It's existence means nothing to me.