Poll: What Did You Think of Sony's PS4 Event?

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Poll: What Did You Think of Sony's PS4 Event?

Sony's new console was kind of, sort of revealed today. Were you impressed?

We could stay up all night talking about how amazing the PlayStation 4's tech demos looked, or bemoaning the fact that the company left some pretty important information off the table, but there will be plenty of time for that in the months between now and E3. So as we reflect on the nights events, we look to you, our beloved readers, to see what you thought of the PlayStation 4 announcement.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
I like the pc-like hardware with the thing, and the various streaming services have me intrigued. I see a lot of potential with this new system.

Unfortunately, too many questions were left unanswered. What is the price point? How much hard drive space will this thing have? Do I need to keep that Eye thing plugged in all the time? Does this system block used games? What the hell is the point of the touch pad?

I voted B. I'm cautiously optimistic about the PS4, but I see a lot of things Sony could do to really screw the pooch with this one.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Not seen much to get excited about really, unless the next announcement is 'mind blowingly awesome' I'll not be bothering with it.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
The hardware looks excellent, and there's nothing terribly offensive with the controller or stuff like that. However, all of the integrated, social, connected, cloud, and other buzzword stuff is quite worrying. If I can download and play games without any fuss, then I guess it wouldn't be too big of a deal, but I've basically had enough of this kind of crap. I hope it won't take away too much from the stuff I actually care about, namely, playing the fucking game.

Also, that streaming demo thing, while it does sound nice, better not replace being able to download a regular old demo. Game streaming requires a very fast, stable connection, and a ton of bandwidth, and I better still be able to do everything I can currently do without having that.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
They get a D because they spent more time hyping up stuff that had nothing to do with games. I expect most people to vote for B, ironically. After the last several years of console gamers saying that graphics don't matter I already see them getting hyped over the graphics in all those pre-rendered trailers.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
I want to know about the Giant Enemy Crab. Will we be able to attack its weak point for massive damage?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the reveal itself was rather underwhelming. Can't really say the graphical leap was all that big, but it's about what I expected. Sony also just let the event drag, probably be being at least a half hour too long.

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
all im seeing is how much developers are being held back from each generation of consoles instead of working with the pc....Sorry i hate being that PC gaming master race but those specs hardly match a modern pc and i just wonder how much farther they could have pushed those engines if they developed for a modern GAMING pc instead of a living room media player. :X

EDIT: also i got sucked into the vita's promises that were pretty much the same as they promised here. Wonder how much they are lying about here. Including that "sculpt tool" program with the playstation move. That was as edited and fake as Project Natal that Xbox spouted during the launch of kinect.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Color me "Meh".

As a big Playstaion guy, this just felt lackluster. All of it looks nice and I see what the hardware is capable of, but where are teh games? Yeah, we get a new InFamous and Watch Dogs, but what else?

Killzone 4? Diablo III?

Snoooore.

Give me some more interesting new IPs. Do that, and I'll make it rain loadsamoney on your corporate building..

Also, is there a set price range for the thing yet? I need to know if I have to sell an arm and a leg in order to get my hands on the darn thing.

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
I voted option B.

Sony didn't show off that many games, but that wasn't the point of the event. Now that the general reveal is out of the way E3 can be prioritized towards games instead of all the stuff they got out of the way tonight, like the share button and the streaming stuff. Color me interested, but I'm far from a day 1 purchase as of now.

Captcha: It's Super Delicious!

DON'T TRY TO INFLUENCE ME CAPTCHA, YOU MANIPULATIVE MONSTER!

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Not much to get excited about. They didn't actually reveal their console, just confirmed it's existence and specs. They revealed the Sony Kinect and how it can tell how far away the controller is from the cameras (just imagine the ground breaking game play that will produce). And they said that now Facebook get to watch what you do on the Playstation.

Some things seemed kind of cool but they weren't really new ideas, just things intergrated into the console like streaming footage live (which you can already do with the right set up), recording game footage (again, already possible) and a social network so now even more of your personal info is at Sony's fingertips.

I was already anticipating that the new generation would be underwhelming at best. Obviously the power is going to go up with the new hardware but that is to be expected but I was sort of hoping for more. Being able to play games whilst they download is probably the only thing that was great about the reveal. The rest was 'meh'.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
I want to be excited, but no, sorry
The streaming features are uninteresting at best :(
Also I would prefer my controller without a glowy thing. It will only be used for gimicky stuff, like the dualshock3/ sixaxis controller now. But this time on steroids
oh well

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
As long as I can get a full experience out of the damn thing without having to keep the eye plugged in, can play used games, and a constant internet connection then I am game.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Definitely a D, a bit too much focus on the "social" aspects, a trailer for an engine that we all saw a year ago, Blizzard turning up, which while interested me at first was just a port of Diablo 3, amongst a variety of other irritations. Oh, and it was a console reveal without showing the actual console. Although I can hazard a guess that it will be a black rectangle =P

It gets plus points for showing some Watch Dogs footage, moments of nostalgia like when one guy walked on to the original Playstation start up music, and another to Crash Bandicoot

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
A mixed bag. The games were good. That being said, the best one was Watch_Dogs, which I plan to get on the WiiU. That being said, if the PS4 version's big draw is going to be shiny graphics, why not get the PC versio- Oh right, Ubisoft....

Back to seriousness: A lot were games that I'm sure people would like, but just aren't for me. Killzone looked pretty, but I'm not a Killzone guy. Drive Club seems fun, but I'm more a crazy kart racer type. InFamous looked fucking awesome, though. Knack, or as I call it, Katamari Godzilla, seems like fun.

The streaming demos and spectator options seemed cool. Everything else, though... do not want. Didn't like any of the social stuff. They were at least smart getting it out of the way early.

Thing is, every big presentation was a tech demo. Showing off an engine. And by now we all should know not to take those as gospel truth of what the system can do.

I'd give it a C. I'm not convinced, but I am interested to know more.

Nocturnus

Oct 2, 2007
Aiddon said:
the reveal itself was rather underwhelming. Can't really say the graphical leap was all that big, but it's about what I expected. Sony also just let the event drag, probably be being at least a half hour too long.
Not that big of a graphical leap forward? They are practically jumping forward 9 graphics card generations, moving to six core from single, and adding 8 gigs of standalone memory, thus quadrupling the amount of RAM compared to the PS3. This thing is going to scream.

Can they back it up with good titles? Well, that we will probably have to wait until E3 to see.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
To be honest I can't see myself shelling out for this for a long time. I've got plenty of current gen games still on my to play/buy lists, and by the time I finish the PS4 might be a reasonable price.