Futurama Has Been Cancelled (Again)

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Futurama Has Been Cancelled (Again)

Comedy Central has decided not to renew Futurama for another season, meaning the 13 episodes scheduled for this year will be its last.

Futurama is a much-loved science-fiction cartoon from Simpsons creator Matt Groening. The show had a strong start (possibly due to Groening's legacy) but viewership quickly started to drop as it drifted away from mainstream gags and evolved into clever, sometimes a bit risque, humor. In 2003, just as it was starting to get really good, Fox cancelled it. When Comedy Central resurrected the show in 2005, producing four direct-to-DVD movies and then several new seasons, people thought that the home of South Park would be a perfect fit for Futurama's style of humor. Unfortunately, it looks like that isn't the case, as Comedy Central has announced it won't be renewing the show for another season.

"If this is indeed the end of Futurama, it's a fantastic finish to a good, long run," show co-creator and executive producer David X. Cohen said in a statement accompanying Comedy Central's announcement. "I felt like we were already in the bonus round on these last couple of seasons, so I can't say I was devastated by the news." This year's currently scheduled run of 13 episodes will be the show's last, with the season finale on September 4 to close off the entire series.

The show will have had a run of 140 episodes, 68 of which came after its first "death." Comedy Central's EVP of Programming Dave Bernath views the network's decision as "the natural end" to the show's improbable comeback, but Cohen and Groening are not so convinced that this is the last we'll see of Futurama. "The experience of this show has been so much fun from the very beginning to now - everybody is so happy to work on this show - that it'd be a shame if we all went our separate ways... We would love to continue," said Groening.

Cohen assures us that this final run of episodes will be "the best last season ever," featuring special guests such as Larry Bird, Sarah Silverman, George Takei, Adam West, Dan Castellaneta, and Burt Ward. He thinks that some of the episodes will become instant classics, teasing an upcoming episode where Futurama is "reincarnated as various cartoons of your youth, not legally resembling but somehow quite reminiscent of Scooby-Doo, Strawberry Shortcake, and G.I. Joe."

The show's second "final season" launches June 19. Is anyone else thinking it's time for a "save Futurama" Kickstarter?

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/22/futurama-not-renewed-comedy-central/]

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, i guess it has to end eventually but i have to admit my self. i really enjoy this series a lot. got them all on dvd and im happy to have the latest one as well be the end of the year.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I never watched any of the new ones but enjoyed all the original seasons and the movies. Are the new seasons actually any good?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I am just glad I'm not alive to see this day. Wait a minute. *feels pulse* NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Clive Howlitzer said:
I never watched any of the new ones but enjoyed all the original seasons and the movies. Are the new seasons actually any good?
There one or two which where rubbish, most of the episodes where fairly good and a couple wehere right up there with the best of the old series on my opinion.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Genocidicles said:
Better to let it end now, instead of it ending up like the Simpsons.
I heard from someone that the latest episodes are actually quite funny, not sure myself, I don't want to wade through 24 seasons...
I watched a bit of the last few seasons on TV and it's definately better than it has been, BUt the reasons why we perceive a decline in quality of the simpsons are more complex than it just not being funny. It's more that it originally parodied a world that doesn't really exist anymore. It's still clever, but it's no longer as strong a social satire as it once was.

Also: God damn it, this gets cancelled twice yet the cleveland show still goes on...

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfz0c6vz4X1qbs7vs.gif

Waitwait... George Takei and Adam West? This is going to be the best final season ever!

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
*insert neutral alien quote here*

I really, really don't care anymore. I never had the immense love for the show that other people seemed to, and every show has to end sometime. Frankly I'd rather it die now than slowly shrivel up.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
So long I guess, at least until someone else picks the show up and wants them to keep making it.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
I can finally post this.

Man, Futurama is one of the few shows i still enjoy on comedy central. all the of the rest is just Scrubs rerums for the umpteenth bazillion time and all the other shows that actually stopped when nixon was still president. And dont forget, the absolute horror that is: it's always sunny in Philadelphia.

Kickstarter started already?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Sounds like it will have the breathing room to have a natural, carefully considered end, and that's about the best end for the show I could possibly hope for.

Though if it were referencing the cartoons of my youth, it'd be Dangermouse, Superted, Inspector Gadget and Tintin.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
It has happened before it will happen again. I'm sure we'll see more of this show, although i have personally have failed to keep up with it of late I do own all the pre-first canceled seasons on DVD and all the DVD movies that followed. Will invsest in the rerst when i have some spare cash and hopefully keep the ball rolling for this wonderful comic cartoon.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
but viewership quickly started to drop as the show drifted away from mainstream gags and evolved into clever, sometimes a bit risque, humor
No, I think it was losing viewership because it was slowly devolving into "The Bender Show" and you can only do so many robot jokes before they start getting predictable. It go so old so fast that when i turned on the new seasons I nearly felt physical pain with the onslaught of bad robot puns. I GET IT, it's funny because they are rude and drink, and that's not what one typically expects of robots. Haha, or whatever. NOW STOP.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
kickstarter to get scruffy his own show. yes please

I love Futurama but even though everything must come to an end eventually if the creators want to keep going they can take my money.