Futurama Has Been Cancelled (Again)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Better to let it end now, instead of it ending up like the Simpsons.
The simpsons have their ups and downs and usually have a few good episodes per season. It's consistently better than some of the other riff raff on TV albeit generic now. But seeing as the show has been around for so long it's no wonder that the shows either have to be generic or swing in new and weird directions that can be hit or miss.

Futurama is absolutely one of my favorite shows. It will be missed. If it comes up again, it will be watched.

vid87

May 17, 2010
It's strange to look back on it and realize the episode with a two-headed goat puking in a pool would be one of my all-time favorites (which was also what spawned the meme from the OP, thought not exactly for that reason).

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
The show's second "final season" launches June 19. Is anyone else thinking it's time for a "save Futurama" Kickstarter?
No, best to let it step down with its dignity intact than try to keep it going longer than it is able to.

Mhmh

Oct 12, 2012
I for one, am part disappointed and part relieved. The Fry-Leela centric "boy meets girl" story had long outlived it's time, however they still had plenty of other colourful characters to go with and infinite places to explore. Zoidberg for example never failed to disappoint.

The Simpsons however are the ones truly begging for a mercy killing, yet they still keep on existing. It's a cruel and unjust world we live in...

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
You know when a show is good when it's been cancelled at least two times :D

Really though if the creators think they have it in them for more why not kickstart it as an internet series.

Oh wait it just hit me. No I am not joking as I was writing this sentence it JUST hit me. IP LAW. Twenthieth Century Fox probably owns the rights to Futurama so even if it got cancelled by CC and TCF themselves have no intention of making another season. They can't crowd fund it unless they buy a license to that show.

TCF probably owns the copyright to some absurd date like 2020 or something so good luck with getting a kickstarter on that.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
I never watched any of the new ones but enjoyed all the original seasons and the movies. Are the new seasons actually any good?
The first season of the CC eps was a bit hit or miss; took them a while to get back in the swing of it. But for the most part they've been great, particularly in playing around with some of the other charecters on the show. The old fox episodes did very much become "The Bender Show featuring Fry and Leela!" towards the end. If you only watch one episode of the comedy central run it should be "A Clockwork Origin" easily one of the top 5 episodes they've ever made, right up there with the one where Bender meets God (or rather, a satellite that collided with God).

I think at this point i'd be ok with it being gone for good, Its had a good long run now. The fox cancelation did feel premature, but at this point its gone on for about as long as you expect high quality series to go before they start running out of ideas. Futurama has the advantage of having parody of real world issues to draw from but even so it won't break my heart this time like it did before. That said if a certain internet video company which has started producing its own content lately was looking to add a top tier animated show to its lineup... that certainly wouldn't break my heart either ;)

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
The creators themselves would like to see the show have a graceful conclusion. No Kickstarter please

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I think it's a shame it's ending again, but I feel that the decision to air it in the summer has been a huge mistake. People do other stuff in the summer instead of just watching TV, of course the ratings would take a hit from that.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
Genocidicles said:
I heard from someone that the latest episodes are actually quite funny, not sure myself, I don't want to wade through 24 seasons...
There have been a couple of jokes I've liked. I say a couple, I've only coincidentally watched the new Simpsons when it's happened to have been on.

One that stuck in my mind was:

Marge: Oh, you don't want to come. It'll be full of Hipsters.

Homer: Actually, I've come around on Hipsters. It takes a lot of guts to all wear the same hat.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
DVS BSTrD said:
You DO know that each episode is a stand alone story right? You can jump in whenever you like. There are a few good origin stories and one or two continuity points they seem to stick to, but it's painful going back and watching the animation of the first few seasons.
Yeah, I just would rather be told which episodes are best, looking through season upon season of duds doesn't sound fun to me.
Well I always liked the Sideshow Bob episodes. Recently it's been getting better, but personally I found most of the episodes since the Movie to be the weakest, but the ones leading up to it from 2000 on ward were pretty good. There are a several classics from the 90s that are worth watching, And the premiere episode shows how one of the characters joined the family.
Yeah, the 90's and early 2000 episodes are brilliant and can be watched (more or less) completely without running into a patch of stinkers. The movie itself is also great.

I think after that, with their ramped up animation budget (which is admittedly pretty) I think they suffered from major pop culture reference overdose in a misguided attempt to stay relevant.

Jun 24, 2009
The show's still going strong, and it still has the same fanbase as the last times it was "cancelled". I'm going to chalk this up to executives doing stupid executive shit and say it'll be back before too long. It's been cancelled many times before, and until the cast and/or crew say they want to stop I won't actually believe it'll be permanently cancelled.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Meh, gotta say this really doesn't surprise me. The new episodes just weren't as good as the older seasons...mainly because - at least in my opinion - they got way too political with some kind of message behind each episode. There were a couple agenda-based episodes in the old episodes, but for the most part they were just silly stories filled with reference humor. The "movies" they put out between the old series and the newer seasons were decent enough, but I just couldn't get back into the new episodes the way I loved the old ones.

By contrast, Family Guy was great in the original seasons and continued to be great after it was brought back. Though more and more Seth seems to be letting his personal politics seep into the show, but at least the jokes are better than Futurama's.

It's sad, really, as I had such high-hopes for the ressurected Futurama. But really I just think it was a big disappointment when it came back.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Yes yes I know, better to go out while it's still on top. But I'd still rather it end when the producers MENT it to, and not because the network didn't renew it.
SkarKrow said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Genocidicles said:
I heard from someone that the latest episodes are actually quite funny, not sure myself, I don't want to wade through 24 seasons...
I watched a bit of the last few seasons on TV and it's definately better than it has been, BUt the reasons why we perceive a decline in quality of the simpsons are more complex than it just not being funny. It's more that it originally parodied a world that doesn't really exist anymore. It's still clever, but it's no longer as strong a social satire as it once was.

Also: God damn it, this gets cancelled twice yet the cleveland show still goes on...
What are you talking about? They announced the cancelation of The Cleveland Show last week.
TizzytheTormentor said:
Genocidicles said:
You DO know that each episode is a stand alone story right? You can jump in whenever you like. There are a few good origin stories and one or two continuity points they seem to stick to, but it's painful going back and watching the animation of the first few seasons.
They did? Well thank the spaghetti monster for that, that show is frigging terrible. No idea how it even got past a pilot. I'm a bit behind on anything TV given that I don't really watch it much.

I've gone off seth macfarlane in a big way in recent years, even American Dad has gotten pretty shitty.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It probably for the best much to my dismay. In saying so they did produce a fair amount of episodes after the first cancellation so it did accomplise that.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Seein the bell toll, is a good thing, it allows them to write a conclusion and wrap the whole thing up rather than leave it hanging. This is a good thing for futurama fans, the series gets a send off instead of dead threads left hanging cancelation

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Eh, can't say that I'm sad to see it go. Th new seasons just never hit it off with me like the original four did (hell, I can't even recall laughing at any of the new episodes), and from what I can remember of the mini movies that I did see, they were ok at best.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
Genocidicles said:
Well, pretty much anything pre-2000 is golden material from The Simpsons, I still get a good laugh at those, although some of the more recent episodes are quite decent indeed, but it's like swimming in a pool of shit for 13 years and suddendly reaching a pool of piss, it's different, but it still sucks.