Futurama Has Been Cancelled (Again)

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Noooooo! :( One more season please. Just one more!

At least it isn't going to turn into The Simpsons. Plus we can watch endless reruns that are funny, post all those memes on the interwebs and remember the good times.

LoLife

Dec 7, 2012
These are the chimps who canned Firefly & Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles! Fox should really sort out there network executives RIP Futurama =(

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Better to let it end now, instead of it ending up like the Simpsons.
Call me crazy but I quite like the new Simpsons episodes.. I'm not saying they're the best so far but I'd still be sad to see them go.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
M-D-Emm said:
These are the chimps who canned Firefly & Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles! Fox should really sort out there network executives RIP Futurama =(
... Did we just go back in time? Fox did it in 2003. This is comedy central this time.

FYI, I know Fox sometimes cans some pretty darn good shows, but please remember that's only because they were also willing to give them a shot in the first place.

e.g. without Fox there may never have been a first season of Firefly at all.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Futurama is further proof of what I like to call "The Family Guy Principle":
If you make a show cancellation proof in any way (Bringing it back like Family Guy or Futurama, or running it for over 20 years like the Simpsons) it no longer has to try, and stops being good.
Post-revival Futurama was not very good, and I'm glad to see it go.

LoLife

Dec 7, 2012
Lightknight said:
M-D-Emm said:
... Did we just go back in time? Fox did it in 2003. This is comedy central this time.
lol I still thought it was Fox NVM thanks for pointing out my mistake, but Fox is still run by chimps though =D

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Hey....I love Futurama, but I am of the firm mind that a show should only go for so long. Granted I thought the post revival episodes were pretty damn funny, but I am fine with Futurama ending now. It's not that I don't want to see more Futurama, it's just I don't want Futurama to be one of those shows that go on for so long that it becomes hated in the eyes of it's fans, like Family Guy and Simpsons. I know thee well Futurama, good night sweet prince...you have filled many a day with laughter and merriment.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
DVS BSTrD said:
]You DO know that each episode is a stand alone story right? You can jump in whenever you like. There are a few good origin stories and one or two continuity points they seem to stick to, but it's painful going back and watching the animation of the first few seasons.
Yeah, I just would rather be told which episodes are best, looking through season upon season of duds doesn't sound fun to me.
Stay away from the Lady Gaga episode...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY AWAY FROM THE LADY GAGA EPISODE!

*curls into foetal position and cries*

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
anthony87 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
DVS BSTrD said:
]You DO know that each episode is a stand alone story right? You can jump in whenever you like. There are a few good origin stories and one or two continuity points they seem to stick to, but it's painful going back and watching the animation of the first few seasons.
Yeah, I just would rather be told which episodes are best, looking through season upon season of duds doesn't sound fun to me.
Stay away from the Lady Gaga episode...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY AWAY FROM THE LADY GAGA EPISODE!

*curls into foetal position and cries*
I'll keep that in mind, although I might watch it just to see how much it sucks.

One thing that always bothered me about the Simpsons was the way they handled guest stars, they were almost never funny or done well.
Well if you're curious then here's the episode:
http://vimeo.com/42597574

It's more or less the creators of The Simpsons being all "Oh Lady Gaga, what WILL you do next?"

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I kind of want to see some show get kept on life support through crowdfunding, only to suck just as much as every other show that's kept alive past the point where the writers ran out of good ideas. Then we'll have an example to hold up showing how fans aren't any smarter than network executives.

iTeamKill

Dec 17, 2007
Fuck that, sell it to netflix! netflix will make it their own show, hire all the same writers/animators and I'll love it again because I won't have to pay for cable TV to watch it.

Apr 5, 2008
Noooooooooo. This is so sad, I don't know what to say. This is my favourite show bar none so I really hope another network will pick this up. I don't want Futurama to end :-(

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
Ahh, Futurama, you weird, lovely piece of sci-fi comedy.
In a way, it already lived longer than many, even many of the producers themselves ever thought it would live. Fun-fact: Several of the episodes throughout the series were already planned to be the "finals".
And while i often feel nostalgia when a good series ends, better make it a good ending, rather an abrupt one, or letting it go on and on and on, just for the sake of going on.
Then again, if the producers really want to continue it, in this case i bet they'll eventually find a way to re-revive it :)

Apr 5, 2008
Is anyone else thinking it's time for a "save Futurama" Kickstarter?
I would seriously pay a buttload of money to keep the show going, though I think the best kickstarter could fund is a single episode, or maybe two.

The tragedy is that I watch these episodes mostly via the Internet, with no legal way to pay the network for the privaledge. If they would offer me a service to stream and watch these when (or shortly after) they air, I would pay for it. But International bullshit rights and licensing, as well as the lack of such a service means that's not an option.

I really hope Fox or another group pick this up.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Bad news nobody......

I'm a huge fan of Futurama and can practically recite the first four seasons (My old roommates actually tested this a couple of times)the movies and new episodes have been touch and go but I still get at least one good laugh per episode. I'm sad to see it end but so long as it gets a proper send off its probably for the best.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I feel like I should be sad, but this makes sense. Many of the "post-revival" episodes just don't have that spark that the first four seasons did. It's had a good run and has earned the right to actually bow out gracefully. Granted, it's still enjoyable enough that I'd absolutely watch smaller-budget 15 minute Adult Swim episodes or something.

Oh, and I still love The Simpsons. No, not all post-movie episodes are great and a couple pretty much suck, but that show has made me feel better inside for far too many years. It's amazing that for the entire length of my existence on earth, they've kept great writers, the same voice actors, and maintained some kind of relevance despite massive cultural and technological shifts. Doing that is not always going to be pretty and the fact that it happens at all is something that commands my respect.