Curiosity - What's Inside the Cube Nears the Final Layers

A.J. Glasser

May 29, 2013
Curiosity - What's Inside the Cube Nears the Final Layers

[video=7208]

Peter Molyneux's Curiosity was designed to be a social experiment of sorts with the intention of informing future game design.

Curiosity - What's Inside the Cube launched in November 2012 with no shortage of excitement, at least from the designer, Peter Molyneux himself. The game is simple. You chip away at tiny cubelets, which are part of a larger, layered cube. Each layer has its own design so you don't get too bored while you're hammering away at it. The ultimate goal is to get to the center of the cube and discover what's inside, hence the title Curiosity. The cube was comprised of literally billions of cubelets to begin, which would be a daunting task if Curiosity didn't boast nearly five million participants since its launch.

To date, upwards of 25 billion cubelets have been cleared away by the almost five million players, leaving only 50 of the 300 something layers left to dig through. For a sense of scale, at one cubelet per second, clearing 25 billion cubelets would have taken a single person over 800 years. Curiosity has been a bane of productivity for some, racking up roughly 50 million man hours of time spent with the game.

The final push to the center of the cube is expected to take anywhere from 1 to 50 days, depending on the chiseling fervor. Of course, the ability to add cubelets [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123407-Curiosity-Update-Lets-Players-Pay-to-Add-Cubes] might make the home stretch a little more challenging. Despite the griefing potential, for everybody out there who couldn't be bothered to help chip away the first 272 layers, I expect the final 50 layers to be a much more compelling objective. While those who've been there all along might be nonplussed when a newcomer gets to the mystery bit in the center, that possibility has to be part of Molyneux's grand scheme.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
What's in the box?

Something...

...underwhelming.

Oh come on, it's Peter Molyneux! Having said that, as a social experiment/MMO/entirely new kind of mass game this is pretty mind blowing. Whilst whatever's in the middle probably won't live up to the enormous amount of expectation and speculation the project as a whole is amazing and Mr Molyneux's actually hit it out the park.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
And in the box is a note asking "What has driven you to come this far?"
And the answer will be "Curiosity!"
And as the world drowns in flames, Mr. Molyneux will feel mighty impressed by his own poetry.

Alternatively, reset button.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm still kind of sour they never did a PC release.
Yes I can get app player and emulate it, but I don't want to.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Its just the amount of money that Peter Molyneux made with this "game". It will certainly mind blow who ever opens it and change his perspective in life with the message of "You are an idiot, thanks for your money, lolz"

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
People are still going at this?

Really?

Anyway, I guess these people are proving persistence and patience are still held by a lot of people.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Inside the cube is...a SPHERE! Behold the majesty of the sphere and it's lack of edges. Kneel before it and know that it is good and right. Embrace the sphere and give Peter Molyneux some more of your money.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I am, shall we say, less than certain what the ability to add cubes back to the cube has to do with curiosity as opposed to monetized griefing. It seems like the kind of stunt that caused Molydeux to come into being.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Some people have more money then sense. If there are idiots willing to hand over cash to play this, then all power to Pete's arm for taking it off them. But then there are always idiots who game.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
No matter what's gonna be inside, there will be shouting. Lots of shouting.

Almost curious enough to take the chisel myself, but nah.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Considering the amount of penises on the outside of the box I'm putting my money on the inside containing a picture of Mr. Molyneux's junk.

VortexCortex

May 1, 2013
From the folds of her gown, she lifted a green metal cube about fifteen centimeters on a side. She turned it and Paul saw that one side was open - black and oddly frightening. Paul slowly put his hand into the box. He first felt a sense of cold as the blackness closed around his hand, then slick metal against his fingers and a prickling as though his hand were asleep...

"What's in the box?"

"Pain."

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
What I want to know is, did anyone buy that one-off $77.000 "Diamond Chisel" DLC yet?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
what's inside the cube? its obviously a circle with 1,000,000,000,000 more layers :D What's inside the circle?