Xbox One's Kinect Can Actually Be Turned Off

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Xbox One's Kinect Can Actually Be Turned Off

Microsoft has detailed the operation of the Xbox One's most oddly controversial feature - its off switch.

The recent reveal of the Xbox One left a lot of questions unanswered. Instead of building mystery and hype, some of the murky details surrounding Microsoft's upcoming console have led consumers to assume the worst. Chief among these worries are the concerns that the Kinect component of the machine will need to be constantly watching and listening, since the ability to turn on your console via voice commands requires the Kinect to be on all the time. A Microsoft spokesperson has addressed these privacy concerns, and promises that Microsoft won't become the new Big Brother.

"It is not always watching or always listening," the spokesperson explains. "You can turn the system completely off. This would use no power and turn everything off. We'll share more details about how it all works later."

It seems a little silly to need an official statement to tell us that we can turn our gaming machine off, but there's weight to the public's concerns. In the midst of the always-online scare, the threat of your Xbox constantly spying on you from your living room doesn't seem that far-fetched [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124384-German-Official-Expresses-Xbox-One-Privacy-Concerns]. The Kinect will be required to play games on the Xbox One, and the new next-gen model of its hardware will be much harder to spoof than the current iteration. The new Kinect is powerful enough to see in the dark and measure your heartrate from your facial expression, so naturally it would be bad if that recording software fell into the wrong hands.

"We are designing the new Kinect with simple, easy methods to customize privacy settings, provide clear notifications and meaningful privacy choices for how data will be used, stored, and shared," the Microsoft representative says.

It's good to know that Microsoft is paying attention to our privacy concerns, at least, but I'm not entirely convinced. Privacy settings are all well and good... but maybe keep a spare cloth around to cover the sensors when you don't need them. Just in case.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/xbox-ones-kinect-can-turn-off-microsoft-says-noting-510100564]

BushMonstar

Jan 25, 2012
You would think with all the concern over the whole "Always On" thing they would be quicker to tell people that they can turn it off, but whatever. Just goes in line with how badly they've handled everything.

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
I'd still be more comfortable with a blanket over the damn thing if I have to be in the same room with it.

And lets not forget this [http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa] little tidbit.

I think this news just invalidated a penny arcade comic and a yahtzee poem.

MrWunderful

Filthy Console Peasant
May 27, 2013
I Don't understand how the system will require kinect to be plugged in to operate, yet it can be turned off? Or maybe he was just referring to the system itself? Interested to see where this goes, as I am still looking forward to this console.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, we knew we could unplug the thing, guys, I don't think anyone was assuming it had a battery that kept it spying on you until you beat it to death with a claw hammer; the question is was it designed with this functionality in mind? Does it take five times as long to start from "off" as from "standby"? Are you endangering the life-span of your hard drive every time you power the thing off?

Basically, is this another "No, it's not always on" where you're technically telling the truth while doing everything in your power to ensure that virtually no one even thinks of actually using it that way?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
so, who's gonna be the first to invent the lead lined kinect muffler

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Whew! That's a load off my mind, I can't wait to get this thing!

^ Thought by no one here. They back peddle on one big problem when the glaring issue of game ownership and the potential for this thing to shut off if your all seeing Kinnect detects too many people in a room is a bit bigger of a concern.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Notice the fact he never said the Kinect can be turned completely off. I bet that as long as the system is on the Kinect is on too. Otherwise what would be the point of making the Kinect required to be connected to the console?

"More details later"

This better be good Microsoft.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
As I iterated in another thread-I refuse on the basis of Big Brother. The greatest selling point the Xbone has going for it right now is the fact that IT CAN BE TURNED OFF...That's, that's just pathetic. I'm glad it's not as orwellian as it started but all the same, it's essentially a spying hardware that I have to actively disable to stop it from spying on me, doesn't make it any less of a spying device in my books.

All Sony has to do to get my money is to promise not to unleash maggots into my home and I'll welcome them with open arms.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
It's good to know that Microsoft is paying attention to our privacy concerns, at least, but I'm not entirely convinced. Privacy settings are all well and good... but maybe keep a spare cloth around to cover the sensors when you don't need them. Just in case.
I'm just gonna go ahead and not buy one unless they allow me to play without the Kinect.

Holythirteen said:
And lets not forget this [http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa] little tidbit.
For exactly this reason. What happens if I'm playing the game and have a couple of mates over to show them. Let's assume MS allows for three people to be in the room to be able to play the game. What happens if my roommate that wasn't in the room earlier has to pass behind the couch to get from her room to the kitchen (which she has to do, there's only one entrance) and wants to stop and have a chat or have a bit of a watch too? Now there's four people in the room and the Kinect decides I haven't given its MS overlords enough money and it shuts down the game, killing the mood and causing trouble when someone has to be made to leave the room in order to continue playing.

This is honestly a disgusting scenario if you ask me. Games have become a more and more social outlet in the last few years. Not only is it gonna make games move backwards several years by limiting the amount of people that can socialize over a game in one room at any time, it's outright a loss of free advertisement because the more people that get to see a game in action, the more they may be willing to buy it for themselves.

MrWunderful said:
I Don't understand how the system will require kinect to be plugged in to operate, yet it can be turned off? Or maybe he was just referring to the system itself? Interested to see where this goes, as I am still looking forward to this console.
He was referring to the system itself, yes. He means you can unplug the console at the AC adapter and cut off all power to the entire system. Console and all. Have fun crawling in and out of the dusty behind of your TV unit whenever you want to play your XBone but don't want to have a high-tech spy camera recording every moment 24/7.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, I'm not trusting it without the plug pulled.

Like everything else in this entire fiasco they haven't bothered getting their stories straight yet.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
Other sites understand that the console itself can be turned off, but not the Kinect independently.

So if you end up with an xbone, you still may want to put the Kinect in a dark closet, covered with a black thick sheet, sprayed with sound-proof foam.

Until someone figures out how to jailbreak the thing so it won't use Kinect at all. And not check daily whether you didn't sell your games.
The Xbone is really looking good is it not? What other consoles spy on you? This is a world first!

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
At first I thought, "Oh, good, Microsoft is making a positive announcement," but, actually, I'm still confused. So, you can turn the Kinect off completely, but Kinect is still required in order to play games? Does that mean I can only turn the Kinect completely off when the system is off, but that it's mandatory to turn it on when I actually want to do anything with it?

You know, Microsoft, you really shouldn't have advertised this as a feature until E3 when you'd have time to explain how it works.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Wait so their big clarification is you can unplug the xbox one? Boy all my privacy concerns are gone now.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I think the important question is... can I play it in the nude without concern that someone can see my wang through it?

I ask not for my own sake, but because I do not like making other men jealous and giving the ladies false hope.

MrWunderful

Filthy Console Peasant
May 27, 2013
badgersprite said:
At first I thought, "Oh, good, Microsoft is making a positive announcement," but, actually, I'm still confused. So, you can turn the Kinect off completely, but Kinect is still required in order to play games? Does that mean I can only turn the Kinect completely off when the system is off, but that it's mandatory to turn it on when I actually want to do anything with it?

You know, Microsoft, you really shouldn't have advertised this as a feature until E3 when you'd have time to explain how it works.
I agree. Not releasing specific details to a bunch of rabid gamers looking for a reason to hate everything you do is only going to complicate things. Its just going to spawn "conspiracy theories" about big brother recording your every movement 24/7 *rolls eyes* and conjecture based on filed patents. Its a shame, because I really want this console to succeed- my non "gamer" friends are all going to buy one im sure and some of my fondest memories are playing call of duty with them.