Ben Affleck is The New Batman

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Ben Affleck is The New Batman

Warner Bros has announced that the star of Gigli, Jersey Girl and Pearl Harbor will be the new Dark Knight.

We won't deny that Ben Affleck has done some good work in his career. In fact, recent years have seen him at the helm of some genuinely excellent films. Daredevil, arguably one of the most disappointing superhero films ever made.

Keeping that flop in mind, Warner Brothers has announced that Affleck will be taking up the cape and cowl as the new Batman in the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126177-Batman-and-Superman-Facing-Off-in-Man-of-Steel-Sequel>recently announced sequel to Man of Steel. "We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.' remarkable legacy with the character of Batman," said Warner Brothers' Sue Kroll. "He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes." Man of Steel director Zack Snyder offered similarly sentiments. "Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry's Superman," he said. "He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne."

Again, we're going to try and remember here that Affleck has arguably proven himself a more capable filmmaker than his earlier career might have <a href=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299930/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1>suggested possible. We'll also raise the example of Heath Ledger, whom nobody could see as the Joker when that was announced. He rocked that role and Affleck has every chance of doing the same as Batman. Still, Ben Affleck being the new Batman raises some questions. For instance, do you think he'll try his own version of Christian Bale's Batman voice? Because, even as we're trying to be fair to the man, the mental image of Ben Affleck growling "swear to me!" is making us laugh. We're sorry Ben, we really are.

Source: <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/23/ben-affleck-to-play-batman-in-man-of-steel-sequel>IGN

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Welp, that's unexpected.

I guess he can play as Bruce Wayne, but as Batman?

Eh....

edit: P.S. if they tell Batman's origin AGAIN, i will go to hollywood and smack the shit out of zack snyder, the writers, the producers, etc.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Hmmm.

I think I'm going to wait for an actual trailer to come out first. For all we know, he might do a good job as Batman.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
schrodinger said:
Welp, that's unexpected.

I guess he can play as Bruce Wayne, but as Batman?

Eh....
lol, he can play the character, but not that same character wearing a mask with (possibly) less dialog? :p

In any case, nope. Can't picture it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Meh, I'm open to it. He was in some real stinkers, but he has also had plenty of great films in his career. He has always been a mixed bag as far as acting is concerned. I think he'll do fine as the Dark Knight. Also, Daredevil gets way more bad press than it deserves. That movie was very good compared to a whole lot of other movies out there, to be honest. But it was a fine retelling of a classic Daredevil tale. In all honesty, the thing that stunk that movie up was how Bullseye was represented. Elektra was pretty well handled, but not the sequel... that movie was truly terrible.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
My first thought was obviously "I guess it's time to stop caring about Batman for the next decade or so".

Then my second thought was "You know what? As long as he doesn't do the stupid Bale-voice, I'll give him a shot".

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
He's not a horrible actor...it's just.... It's hard to get Daredevil surgically removed from your mind, you know? Is Matt Damon going to be Robin?

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Baresark said:
Meh, I'm open to it. He was in some real stinkers, but he has also had plenty of great films in his career. He has always been a mixed bag as far as acting is concerned. I think he'll do fine as the Dark Knight. Also, Daredevil gets way more bad press than it deserves. That movie was very good compared to a whole lot of other movies out there, to be honest. But it was a fine retelling of a classic Daredevil tale. In all honesty, the thing that stunk that movie up was how Bullseye was represented. Elektra was pretty well handled, but not the sequel... that movie was truly terrible.
My rebuttal:

And yes, Elektra blew.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
That's an...interesting choice, for sure. Honestly, I wouldn't have thought Christian Bale would have been a good Batman, and he was alright, so maybe this will work out, too.

I just hope he doesn't try to do "The Voice."

Just say no, Ben.

Sep 14, 2009
Baresark said:
hah wow someone else who thinks daredevil wasn't awful!

i do dislike how bullseye was handled, but overall the movie wasn't "horribad"

OT: honestly i'm scratching my head at this casting, but i'm not COMPLETELY against it to say that i won't see the movie before i judge it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I feel this is "good enough". Trying to think of alternatives who are in their late-30s early-40s with the right build and features.

The only others I could have thought of were Clive Owen, Gerald Butler or Michael Fassbender.

He's got the physical features and is a capable actor and director.

I think the only thing I require is that his suit doesn't have nipples.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008

Seriously, Ben Afflack? Good grief, I knew WB wouldn't be able to hold together their desperate attempt at lobbing a counter franchise to the Avengers. Neil Patrick Harris would be a better Batman, hell Nathan Fillion would be a better...

Nathan Fillion should totally be the next Batman.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
That was unexpected.

Then again, I wouldn't have expected them to pick Michael Keaton for the first Batman movie either, and he did a fine job.

--Morology!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Never thought Heath Ledger could do Joker. I was wrong. I give Affleck a chance, he has talent when he pulls his head out of his ass...

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
The fuck Warner Bros their are literally like 10 or more other actors you could go with over Affleck.