VGX GoTY 2013 Award Roundup - GTA V Wins Game of The Year

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
VGX GoTY 2013 Award Roundup - GTA V Wins Game of The Year

Bioshock: Infinte, The Last of Us and indie hit Gone Home took away multiple awards.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Gone Home beat Papers, Please and The Stanely Parable? Boo.
I mean it wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't nearly as good as the other two.

Other then that, unsurprising results.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
As much as I like Blood Dragon getting recognition it really deserved to take best soundtrack above all else and yet didn't even get nominated. I've constantly muted other games music to listen to it while playing instead. I really hope Power Glove scores the next one if Ubisoft follows through on making more.

edit: Also as much as I love Infinite it really isn't the best shooter of the year. The shooting never really felt rewarding to me and just got in the way of progressing the story imo. Maybe they should move away from genre awards and introduce "Best Story" and "Best Actor/Actress" considering how much more than just voice acting was required for games that have such heavy motion capture.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
toomuchnothing said:
As much as I like Blood Dragon getting recognition it really deserved to take best soundtrack above all else and yet didn't even get nominated. I've constantly muted other games music to listen to it while playing instead. I really hope Power Glove scores the next one if Ubisoft follows through on making more.

edit: Also as much as I love Infinite it really isn't the best shooter of the year. The shooting never really felt rewarding to me and just got in the way of progressing the story imo. Maybe they should move away from genre awards and introduce "Best Story" and "Best Actor/Actress" considering how much more than just voice acting was required for games that have such heavy motion capture.

still rather infinite won best shooter than cod. sure I'm not the only one.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure if GTA V would have been my personal choice, but it doesn't surprise me at all that it won. It also was enough fun that I can't complain about it winning.

I loved Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance so very much. Never expected it to compete with games like these for mainstream awards though.

l3o2828 said:
-Ezio- said:
blood dragon wasn't even DLC...
The Last Of Us wasn't even a good game...

Because I thought it was.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Phrozenflame500 said:
Gone Home beat Papers, Please and The Stanely Parable? Boo.
I mean it wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't nearly as good as the other two.

Other then that, unsurprising results.
Wait, you're surprised a pretentious game about gay romance won an award? Not to be a smartass, but I have some beans here that magically grow. Just $99.99, plus shipping and handling.

And as for Call of Shock: Magical Warfare winning, I wasn't surprised. Granted, it is better than CoD and Battlefield, but I'm sure Metro: Last Light was probably better. And since they just said "Shooter" and not "First-Person Shooter," then The Last Of Us, Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3 (and I could probably come up with others if given more time) would have been much better nominees.

Yabba

Aug 19, 2012
So a game with buggy launch issues, not supporting PC, in game micro transactions that just so happen to work perfectly with all the jobs and activities that got nerfed payouts got GOTY, well I guess I should not be surprised.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So GTA was the best game overall, but wasn't good enough to win any other category it was in (including one where it was beaten by the only game not in the GoTY category) and on top of that Rockstar aren't the best studio? I guess the judges liked the box art.

And why aren't there awards for 'Best Playstation Game' and 'Best PC Game'? They obviously acknowledge their existence since there is Pokemon and a few indie games (which I can't remember being ported to consoles). I stand by my previous assumption that these awards would be a bit naff and that people only watch them to see exclusive trailers.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
So GTA was the best game overall, but wasn't good enough to win any other category it was in (including one where it was beaten by the only game not in the GoTY category) and on top of that Rockstar aren't the best studio? I guess the judges liked the box art.

And why aren't there awards for 'Best Playstation Game' and 'Best PC Game'? They obviously acknowledge their existence since there is Pokemon and a few indie games (which I can't remember being ported to consoles). I stand by my previous assumption that these awards would be a bit naff and that people only watch them to see exclusive trailers.
I have a feeling you didn't notice there was a second page... There WAS a best Playstation game category.

in other news, though its been pointed out, Blood Dragon was NOT dlc. It was a standalone game.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Yabba said:
[...]not supporting PC,[...]
What's that got to do with the game's quality? At all?

Anyways, shouldn't the studio that made the GotY also be Studio of the year? I mean, if any of the other nominees had released multiple games this year it would have been understandable, but none of them released more than one game, so it doesn't really make any sense.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Not a bad spread of results. I do reckon it's a bit weird that Bioshock: Infinite won Best Shooter, since the shooting was probably the least interesting thing about it.

Also, was Gone Home really that good? Papers Please and The Stanley Parable were incredible, I was honestly expecting one of them to win the indie award.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, yeah, yeah, complaints, problems, disagreements, usual post-award show rhetoric, blah, blah blah.

But you know what? Considering that, new name or not, this is still the SPIKE Video Game Awards, this is probably the best show they put together in years. I didn't watch it, of course, God no, but their nominees and results actually suggest the tiniest hint of knowledge about the industry. Give the newly dubbed VGXs a few more years, and they might actually come close to almost being almost passable. Assuming it improves, and doesn't just level out or get worse.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
"DLC"Downloadable content, usually only content you can only download and generally based on assets and the engine of a main game.

By all accounts Blood Dragon qualifies in spades. Don't see the issue.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I'm kinda mad GTA V won Game of the Year but I did like it alot.

I think it had much more to do with the advertising of the damn thing.

Though Portable Game should have been Pokemon X/Y