VGX GoTY 2013 Award Roundup - GTA V Wins Game of The Year

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
GTAV was going to be Game of the Year the second the release date was confirmed. Still it's better than the yearly forced reset by Activison.

But Best Soundtrack? For hours of licensed music? What happened awarding it for original scores?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
martyrdrebel27 said:
CriticalMiss said:
So GTA was the best game overall, but wasn't good enough to win any other category it was in (including one where it was beaten by the only game not in the GoTY category) and on top of that Rockstar aren't the best studio? I guess the judges liked the box art.

And why aren't there awards for 'Best Playstation Game' and 'Best PC Game'? They obviously acknowledge their existence since there is Pokemon and a few indie games (which I can't remember being ported to consoles). I stand by my previous assumption that these awards would be a bit naff and that people only watch them to see exclusive trailers.
I have a feeling you didn't notice there was a second page... There WAS a best Playstation game category.

in other news, though its been pointed out, Blood Dragon was NOT dlc. It was a standalone game.
Nope, completely missed page two. Thanks for pointing that out, now I know a game just needs a good soundtrack to be the best game all year.

Aug 1, 2010
trty00 said:
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Joel Mchale is the best
Really? All I saw were bad, and dated, jokes, and sarcastic bullying all delivered with the sincerity of a guy who clearly doesn't want to be there. Yeah Joel, you're a real a trendsetter when you call us fat idiots sitting in our underwear. Real 'Punk' stuff, very transgressive.

It's unfortunate because he IS a funny guy. He was just in a situation he didn't want to be in, and with a terrible script. I guess you could say he did all he could, but it wasn't much
See, but that was absolutely perfect because the VGA/VGX show is and always has been a complete condescending joke.

I keep seeing people getting pissed because Joel wasn't taking it seriously or because they think he was insulting gamers.

The fact is, McHale is a gamer. He knew what nonsense the awards were. He wasn't ridiculing people who play games, he was ridiculing the terrible presentations and poking fun at Mr. Dorito, Geoff Keighley.

The bad scripted jokes he did tell were delivered with enough deadpan that it was clear he knew the writing was terrible. In fact later on, he just started giving up on the jokes.

Probably my favorite line was when he said "And we'll have more gameplay, reveals, trailers and other things that all really just mean video game advertisements"

Simple Bluff said:
Man, I love these threads. I don't think I'll ever get bored of the smug faux intellectualism on the Escapist.
You're certainly right, but the thing I love even more is people being smug and trying to make themselves feel better than everyone else by pointing out what they think is smug faux intellectualism.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
I foresee much anger brewing in the not too distant future over GTA V winning GotY...

GTA V was a pretty good game, but I always had an itching feeling that something was missing while I was playing it...oh well, good for it, it was a fun game.

Surprised to see Fire Emblem: Awakening and Pokemon X&Y lose to Ni No Kuni though, interesting.
Soemthing probably was missing, but I'm pressed to think of a better game I played this year.

Ni No Kuni winning also makes sense. It's what gaming seems to aspire to: a movie with gameplay elements.

Seriously, I just got it it two days ago, and it was like five minutes gameplay for every hour of story.

Strazdas said:
Thats because there was. The game world was a ghost town because old consoles are incapable of running proper population. Lets just hope we can see that on other machines.
You must use a different definition of ghost town than most then.

Yabba said:
It does sent, but for a game series that is successful only because the originals sold well on PC it makes me think GTA5 does not deserve it.
That makes no sense whatsoever.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
So the games that shouldn't have won did win and things that shouldn't have been nominated won over more deserving things? Yeah, it's the Spike Video Game Awards.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Anyone else disappointed that Fire Emblem: Awakening didn't win anything at all?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
I heard there is a reason for that, apparently not a lot of people walk around in L.A (where Los Santo is based on) and they designed the streets accordingly.

The neighbors hoods and city centers had a lot of people, I doubt it had anything to do with console power and more to do with realism.

Now I could be wrong, but that is what I heard.
I havent heard this explanation. Intresting, that could possibly be it. It did felt like the traffic was missing though, and considering that GTA4 had a slider to choose amount of traffic which really ate resources it was a reaosnable explanation.

cwmdulais said:
Am i blind or do they not have a strategy game category?
Strategy games are palyed on PC and PC gaming is dead right?
But yes, they dont have that. Noone has that. Its same situation with how oscars think only comedy and drama genres exist.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Oh cmon folks let poor GTAV have its moment to shine! It did lose every other category, including the soundtrack no matter what Spike TV said....
In all seriousness, I'd rather see GTAV win the GOTY alone then see it win best soundtrack of all things.
Thats like letting a 14 year old win a professional art contest because his entry of a photoshopped picture of the Mona Lisa looks like the Mona Lisa.
But this is "xXThe Spike Video Game XwardsXx[MLGYOLOSW4G]" after all.
So who cares.

Off Topic: I really have to make a christmas variant of my avatar I feel so left out T_T

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
How on Earth did Gone Home win so many awards? It's an overpriced soap opera that makes you search around a house to figure out the story. Ugh.. Oh well, my choices would have been:

GOTY: Farcry 3 (I didn't play it last year) -out of games that actually came out this year I would say it's a tie between Saints Row 4 and Bioshock Infinite.

Studio of the Year: I don't really care.

Best Shooter: Bioshock Infinite

Best Action Adventure: Diablo 3 (on console)

Best Sports Game: NHL 14 since I don't really care about the other sports (I've only played the game twice though).

Best Indie Game: Space Engineers (ya it's not finished and it's very buggy but I enjoy it a lot) and The Stanley Parable.

Best RPG: Didn't play any this year.

Best Fighting Game: I never play games in this genre.

Best Driving Game: Forza Motorsport 5.

Best DLC: Assault on Dragon Keep -Blood Dragon is not DLC and even if it was I still wouldn't pick it.

Best 360 Game: Bioshock Infinite or Saints Row 4.

Best PS3 Game: Bioshock Infinite or Saints Row 4 (I've never understood why these are any different than the GOTY nomanies).

Best Nintendo Game: Wind Waker HD (I haven't even played it but the original Wind Waker is one of my top 5 games of all time so this wins by default).

Best PC Game: Bioshock Infinite or Saints Row 4.

Best Handheld Game: I've never been a fan of Handheld Games.

Best Casual: I don't think I played any games that you'd call casual.

Best Voice Actor: Troy Baker as Joel.

Best Voice Actress: Courtnee Draper as Elizabeth.

Best Soundtrack: Saints Row 4.

Best Song in a Game: Will the Circle be Unbroken.

Most Anticipated Game: The Witcher 3.

Character of the Year: Elizabeth Bioshock Infinite.

Best Mobile Game: Don't care.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Is anyone else kinda disappointed that there isn't some gameplay focused award. The closest to it seems to be is "Best (insert genre or platform here) game of the year." I dunno. Why aren't level designs, or power ups, or mechanics touched upon?

Vyress

Jul 12, 2010
Wow, Tomb Raider is getting the shaft in this one.

For me, it was the best game I played this year.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
I'm actually gutted but unsurprised GTA beat Saints Row, GTA sort of left me a little cold, Saints Row had me grinning from ear to ear, it had literally everything I could have ever wanted from it... well ok the hacking sucked, but everything else was awesome.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
what the hell is this action adventure category anyway? the last of us was a stealth game and was very linear the only adventure element was that occasionally (read: all the time) you had to go find a ladder.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
l3o2828 said:
-Ezio- said:
blood dragon wasn't even DLC...
The Last Of Us wasn't even a good game...
Yeah agreed, it was ridiculously over hyped for what it actually was.

Pretty much agree with all of the ratings, but I may have given it as a tie between GTAV and AC4.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
trty00 said:
Man, they must have really liked GTA V's soundtrack, especially considering it won GotY and LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE. Was Spike just afraid of the backlash they'd get if they didn't give it GotY? Because I'm not sure they're being genuine about this.
you now wins everything* How can it be game of the year if it doesn't win in an other category?

(*prizes include my admiration for the next hour)

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
How did Gone Home win that? If was awful.. Stale and boring..

GTA V did earn that GOTY awar though, I think so anyway.