Major Nelson Says It's Time To End The Hate

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Major Nelson Says It's Time To End The Hate

Major Nelson says both Sony and Microsoft are going to sell a ton of consoles this generation, so maybe it's time to give peace a chance.

The PlayStation 4 beat out the PS4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131087-PS4-Sells-4-2-Million-Units-in-2013] in the U.S. over the lucrative month of December. It's the sort of "win some, lose some" outcome that inspires no end of fanboy banter on forums across the internet, and while that sort of thing can be fun as long as nobody takes it too seriously, taking it too seriously is something a lot of people tend to do.

Fortunately for us all, there is a voice of reason out there and it comes from none other than Larry Hryb, better known as Major Nelson, Microsoft's point man for all things Xbox. "Both new platforms are off to a great start. We all should be celebrating a healthy vibrant industry," he wrote on Reddit last night. "Sony has done a good job and they should be commended. The hate that infects gaming in the online space needs to go away."

Refreshing, no? Not everyone was entirely convinced of the sincerity of his comments, but it's nice to see someone in a high place taking a very rational, "room-for-everyone" approach. "Sony will sell a ton. We will sell a ton," he added. "The industry is doing well... and consumers have choice."

Well said, Major.

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1vegyz/npd_xbox_one_and_xbox_360_were_the_top_selling/cerk585?context=3]

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Says the person currently selling less consoles. It's easy to declare a draw when you're already losing =D

Although seriously, yeah less hate is always cool. Console wars are only fun when no-one is being serious

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
*ignores own cynicism*

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition, in any market. Honestly, I would have been disappointed had the Xbox One crashed and burned, even though I wouldn't buy one in a million years. One company getting too large a share of the market wouldn't benefit the consumer in the long run.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh, I don't hate you mate.

I just don't intend to buy anything from you any time soon.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Sure Microsoft and Sony was stoking the hate fire for good advertisement so they can sell as many consoles as possible and now after the initial release is done they want everyone to hold hands and get along.

This oddly strikes similar to candidates during election where before election day they trash and mud sling their opponents but once elections are done they want everyone to stop the pre-election aggression they started.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That's a lovely sentiment, but asking people to stop hating on the Internet is like asking a fish to stop swimming.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Zhukov said:
Oh, I don't hate you mate.

I just don't intend to buy anything from you any time soon.
^ see this

Just because you are being thoughtful and gracious in your loss does not make me want to purchase your turd product.

kanetsb

Sep 13, 2007
I'm fine with peace, just as long as there's one console less. Preferably, the Xbox.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
and consumers have choice."
Well... he says that... it isn't much of a choice either way. Both consoles are almost identical to one another.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Oh, well that's great. How come you didn't come to this conclusion sooner and try to ally with Sony. Your consoles are now near identical minus some horsepower. You could've made one console and sold at a break even or loss leader price so your customers wouldn't have you pay another $300-$500 dollars to play the few worthwhile exclusives that each console will get in its lifetime. Just shut up and get rid of that stupid camera that's making your box cost more than it's worth even if the xbox side had more exclusives worth checking out. I hate(hehe) this attempt to make people think Microsoft doesn't consider Sony an enemy. It's business, and in business you don't try to kill you enemy; you outdo them until they give up or run out of resources even if it never ends. Let's go back to acknowledging the opposition as opposition. Since we know that both are wolves who compete over the territory of our money, why bother with the sheep getup?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I appreciate the sentiment, Major, but on the internet, it doesn't stand a chance of happening. A high amount of people feel the need to justify the big shiny box they just got and therefore rain hatred down on the other big shiny box.

[sub]My reason is that the Xbox One has more than one game[/sub]

[sub][sub]Before anyone jumps all over me, I did mean that as a joke[/sub][/sub]

Afro Man

Feb 3, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
That's a lovely sentiment, but asking people to stop hating on the Internet is like asking a fish to stop swimming.
Or better yet to ask Canadians to stop drinking Tim Hortons coffee LOL!

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
No. Fuck you sir. You don't get to hype your box through hundreds of millions of dollars of marketing hype, through all the petty bullshit you and your company pull to keep your herd of sheep subservient and dependent, then put the genie in the bottle. You are responsible for stirring people up the way they currently are. So fuck you, you fostered and nurtured this mindset, now you have to deal with it just like the rest of us.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, that's one rather interesting opinion, sir. Can I get Mike Nelson on the phone, see what he thinks?

NO, MIKE, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

*World blows up!*

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
You know, I don't know why people even game anymore if they're just going to be cynical about everything.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Uhhhhh sorry nelson this is the world, and your console lost, and was also a shitty DRM-hub for a long time before you finally reversed that, and even now its still not that great of a console, sorry but the internet is not going to end the hate train because you said so, if anything you just stirred the hot coals and are now going to face even more hate after saying this

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
It's a bit ironic that Microsoft main PR guy starts saying "we should all get along guys!" after everything that has happened since the X1 was announced up until now (way too many to list).

I'll just stick on the sidelines as usual as a PC gamer and see this war unfold and continue until consoles will no longer exist and laughing for trying so hard to make their console reach standards of 4-5 years ago.

*flame shield on*