Titanfall Beta Signups Begin - Update

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Titanfall Beta Signups Begin - Update

Titanfall closed beta applications are now being taken by Respawn Entertainment.

Update: The official beta announcement trailer is now on the tubes. Enjoy!

Original Story: The headline says it all but in case there's any question, Titanfall, the game about the big shooty robots with the little squishy guys inside, is now taking applications for the upcoming closed beta. Applicants can apply to test either the Xbox One or the PC version of the game, and yes, the PC version does require Origin.

If you're surprised that beta signup sheet went up so quickly and without notice, join the club. In fact, Respawn head honcho Vince Zampella sounded like he was caught off-guard too, tweeting, "Looks like someone hit the button early! Site is live... Go, go."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/433409102065057792]

The beta hasn't actually started yet but if you make it past the velvet rope, you'll be notified by 11:59 PST on February 17. The name goes in the hat at titanfall.com/beta [http://www.titanfall.com/beta].

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Signed up and this will be my first beta access try on origin so I'm excited to give it a go none the less.

look forward to getting the chance to give some helpful feedback though.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Well, normally I'd be pretty excited to try it out, since a beta this close to release is basically an "exclusive" demo anyway that serves more to drive up hype than any actual testing.

I was even kinda surprised they went ahead with the closed public beta (instead of just making it a pre-order bonus) since I've heard some not so good things about the game (along the lines of BF4's horrible release plus it just not being that good to begin with).

But then it hit me: The fuckers are doing it to soften the blow of another crappy launch. Just like they did with Battlefield 4.

Basically you get to play it in beta (where it's bugged, because beta) and you get used to the various issues to a certain degree. And when the game launches, just as buggy, people are less shocked at it's state since they've basically already been playing it in that state for a while. I bet a LOT of people are going to get in the beta.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Well, I signed up. I'm not sure what, if anything, I really expect from it, but I'm rather intrigued by everything I've heard about it, so hopefully I'll be able to give it a shot.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
why not. even when im busy enough with other games. it does look pretty interesting.

damn, i keep getting this message.
Sorry! We are experiencing some technical difficulties. Please try again later.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Signed up the moment I heard. Would love to check the game out. Verify if it'll be worth a purchase or not.

Also, couple of points about the trailer:

1: Watching it actually has me a bit hyped.

2: 6 v 6 too small my ass! That looked way more frantic and hectic than any match of Battlefield, Planetside 2, or Call of Duty.

To hell with the naysayers.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
One Word:

- ORIGIN

i.e. the beginning of the end.

i.e. spyware.

i.e. hell no!

No more crap EA games with crap software that won't work until 1-3 patches created 1-3 months later.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Wait, hold on!

*Grabs sunglasses*

*Gets lawn chair*

*Pops popcorn*

This'll be a brilliant train wreck.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Signed up the moment I heard. Would love to check the game out. Verify if it'll be worth a purchase or not.

2: 6 v 6 too small my ass! That looked way more frantic and hectic than any match of Battlefield, Planetside 2, or Call of Duty.

It'd rather funny, I was playing Planetside 2 a while ago, I had no choice but to log off because the server I played on had too many enemy in sheer numbers that dwarfed my faction and since that game runs off massive numbers you cannot take them on alone, nor with a big team, it has to be greater than them or nothing.

With that said I'd much prefer this style of gameplay alongside Planetside 2, hopping between both games sounds decent enough.

Catchpa: weylan yutani, GODAMMIT NOT ALIENS

Don't look now but the naysayers have arrived, time to grab the popcorn.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
milijanko said:
Vigormortis said:

Well you see, you have a problem there. You got hyped so now you are acting like a brain dead sheep (a.k.a. the prefect costumer) happily following other brain dead sheep and giving away your wool to the first guys with scissors (EA).

But if you actually turn you brain back on you would realize that every game looks frantic and hectic and super-fun in trailers.
So basically what you're saying is that he's a sheep for buying into EA, even though really he's after the game made by Respawn and not EA, thus he's just using EA's free service just to play the game (made by Respawn just in case you didn't get it the first time)he wants to play.

Yes a lot of games can look super frantic and fun but he likes this one also, doesn't seem any different to me either but he likes it so let him have it rather than resulting to calling and branding him a sheep for liking something you don't like.

There's no gamer law or any shit that says he can't like or want to use origin regardless of it being under EA, it;s just mere opinions as to some people calling it shit.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Well, thanks for the headsup guys. All signed up now.

Whether or not this beta is freaking awesome or a complete train wreck will decide if ill actually get it.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Playing through Muv-Luv Alternative has me longing for more mech action(finally ordered the Zone of Enders HD Collection too), so I'm game. Wish I could get something more mission based like Heavy Gear 2 though...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Signed up, I love bug hunting.

Hopefully it will be proper beta testing and not the closed betas of some other games I've been in, where the whole thing was an excuse to monetise everything as early as possible rather than actually do testing. Or worse, I hope it's not a 'beta' like some recent EA owned first person shooters have had.

Terwo

Feb 12, 2014
Scars Unseen said:
Playing through Muv-Luv Alternative has me longing for more mech action(finally ordered the Zone of Enders HD Collection too), so I'm game. Wish I could get something more mission based like Heavy Gear 2 though...
I so know what you mean :) I have blasted through MLU + most of MLA over the last three weeks and so far it blows every VN / mech show out of the water! A shame we don't have any more media of that quality! Don't know why but I finally signed up after years of ad hoc forum visits just to reply! Guess I'm really enjoying MLA and felt like sharing the love!

There was however this one scene in MLA that felt a bit off .. like .. wtf am i reading/watching .. You probably know what I'm talking about if you made it that far :D

OT: I'm really interested in Titanfall, and I'm really worried about EA / Origin messing it up .. royally .. Haven't enjoyed an EA game in years. Still I actually considered signing up for the beta and see what happens, but I'm not making an origin account just for that. Also not to keen on that mandatory news letter subscription either. I shouldn't have to have a second email address just for spam like that; Why do companies insist on sending me junk like that every time I register for anything? Guess I'm going to have to let it slide and wait and see. I do hope it turns out to be a massive success, just because I enjoy mechs :D

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
origin is not that bad to be honest. since ME3, i dint had a single problem with it. it even downloads faster then steam. at least for me it does.

well, sign in finally worked and i hope i will have a chance. would like to know how much HDD it will need. if the beta is really good and i enjoy the game, i might consider a pre order since it offers 10% off.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
As much as I'd love to play the beta, I don't have an Xbox One (yet), and the PC version would probably fry my computer (REALLY need to get a new one). Good luck to anyone who signed up though.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ugh, forgot about the Origin bullshit. Why do I keep getting exicted when I see this game and forget that it requires Origin?

Hopefully the 360 version won't require an Origin subscription because it looks like that's the only way I'll be getting it.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Lightknight said:
Ugh, forgot about the Origin bullshit. Why do I keep getting exicted when I see this game and forget that it requires Origin?

Hopefully the 360 version won't require an Origin subscription because it looks like that's the only way I'll be getting it.
It will in a way. If I'm not mistaken, you will be forced to sign in to your EA accound, jjst like with Mass Effect 2/3 and Kingdom of Amalur for all your online activities and DLC authentification even after post-payment(if they're still being dicks about that).