Crimea's Attorney-General Inspires Anime-Style Fan-Art

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Crimea's Attorney-General Inspires Anime-Style Fan-Art

Crimea's Attorney-General: Natalia Poklonskaya, being a rather attractive young lady, has spawned a legion of anime-style fan-art depictions.

In case you've been living under a rock, there's some pretty intense stuff [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132903-Photographer-Captures-Brutal-DIY-Weapons-of-Ukrainian-Protesters] going on in Ukraine right now. One of the most controversial events from the conflict is the pro-Russia voters in the former-Soviet region of Crimea expressing their desire to cut ties with Ukraine and go back to Russia, something that is giving the newly-appointed Crimean Attorney-General: Natalia Poklonskaya, many headaches.

One unlikely place Poklonskaya can count on for support though, is Japan. Not because the Japanese necessarily agree with her policies, but because she is a rather attractive young lady who has managed to gather quite the following of admirers, producing some pretty top-notch anime-style fan-art. Check out the best of it below:

[gallery=2242]

Most of the images were based off of this YouTube video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I3vCT9ss5E], in which Poklonskaya is answering a reporter's question at a press conference. And yes, that was a cat-girl Poklonskaya you saw in there.

I dread to imagine what rule34 is doing with this...

Source: Rocket News 24 [http://kotaku.com/crimeas-attorney-general-spawns-anime-fan-art-1547001178]

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Oh for god sake.

Do we really need anime style drawings of her, shes an actual person! Aren't pictures good enough.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
That is some reckless and cavalier use of the term top-notch. The only one that even resembles the actual person is a straight up copy job from a screen grab. I really don't understand the fascination, she just looks like some ordinary woman.

Sleekit said:
"chemical ali" was made governor of Kuwait by saddam...pity he wasn't a "cute" she i guess...

i dunno what to think...how does this fit in with this sites "feminism" ?...she's a despot...and a 12 veteran of a public prosecutor...but ye still a despot...none of which is "cute"...

/facepalm
Yeah, it's really quite strange that they wouldn't.... wait, who?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
This is the most bizarre and unsettling development in the history of internet waifus.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Chemical Alia said:
That is some reckless and cavalier use of the term top-notch. The only one that even resembles the actual person is a straight up copy job from a screen grab. I really don't understand the fascination, she just looks like some ordinary woman.

Sleekit said:
"chemical ali" was made governor of Kuwait by saddam...pity he wasn't a "cute" she i guess...

i dunno what to think...how does this fit in with this sites "feminism" ?...she's a despot...and a 12 veteran of a public prosecutor...but ye still a despot...none of which is "cute"...

/facepalm
Yeah, it's really quite strange that they wouldn't.... wait, who?
I do wonder why you keep coming back to these anime art style topics when in each one you've expressed how you don't like the art style.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
To be fair, she be really pretty.

It's a bit weird that her appearance has completely overshadowed the fact that she's now Governor General of the least stable country in the world. I figured that would garner some comment.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
"Oh my God there are Russian troops in the Crimea! The Ukraine's sovereignty is threatened! WW3 IS COMING!!!"

"Oh my God you're right! Quick: get the artists together and create a wacky manga based on fan-art of the major players in this crisis! WE'LL MAKE MILLIONS!!!"

Defective_Detective

Jul 26, 2010
Please make a correction to this article.

She isn't the "Governor-General", her equivalent position is Chief Prosecutor/Attorney-General.

On a lesser note, I would debate describing the Crimean seperatists as "Pro-Soviet", when the Soviet Union no longer exists.
Pro-Russian would be more accurate.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
I can see it. It probably doesn't help that her uniform has really exaggerated lines, making it look rather cartoonish. Reminds me a lot of Phoenix Wright.

Also, young attractive woman in a position of high authority? IN a relativelly small country that could be considered the underdog in a giant conflict? She already sounds like she is a character in an Anime.

Don't know how I feel about the fanart. In one way its inappropriate, in another, it clearly characterizes a situation that some people may or may not have a full grasp of. In a way, it changes the situation into clearer narrative, changing one of the random politicians involved into someone that people have empathy for.

In any case, I kind of find it fascinating.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah I agree, I would classify the current situation in Russia/Crimea as being more nationalist than Soviet. The whole "Crimea is almost entirely Russian so it should be part of Russia" is more of a nationalist ideal than one based in old Soviet-era rhetoric (when nationality supposedly didn't matter as much as the glorious worker's struggle). That's why you have various foreign policy experts comparing the whole conflict more to the old Russian Empire to the Soviets. It was the Soviet government that gave Crimea to the Ukraine as some sort of symbolic anniversary present, after all.

Anyway I find this to be adorable in some way. The ability to just take some random thing, no matter how horrible, and make it some sort of cute is quite admirable. Like some of the drawings and depictions that came out post-tsunami and nuclear power plant problems. The memes that tend to catch on there seem to be quite random, though. A younger female pop starlet in the US doesn't get any attention, but a cute Attorney General in the middle of a heated conflict inspires them.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Defective_Detective said:
Thanks for taking my pedantic advice, Escapist!

-

Do I get a forum title or badge? Pedant-General, maybe?
how about "guy who cares about basic fact checking"

i am not a fan of this, the art is OK but she is the attorney General of something and the internet decides to focus on the fact that she is cute. i would have liked this more if the art had her complaining about international reactions to the conflict or something.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I love how these pictures appear to tell you things about the artists. Like, how some portray her more as the young but stern, attractive military lady who would look down on you and punish you and some portray her more as the shy, cute, in-over-her-head girlie type getting overly emotional. It's like they painted their personal attractions right onto her face. And anime stereotypes on top of that, mind.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Sleekit said:

/facepalm
Err, you do realize that evil women in a position of control is a huge fetish thing right? Nazi-fetishdom is absolutely huge, and characters like "Ilsa She Wolf Of The S.S." who was actually based very loosely on a real person (one who was actually never convicted of the war crimes she was accused of) have become quite iconic in certain circles. Oddly none of this really goes along with Nazi ideals (usually), it's just people find it sexy because it's so dark, and you'll find sex-bomb Nazi girls a common trope in old pulps and men's adventure magazines. This is exactly what they were parodying in say the old "Grindhouse" faux-trailer for "She Wolves of the S.S." (with sexy Nazi girls who were actually were wolves... I think I have the title right).

At any rate, under the circumstances this is probably going in a similar direction, and I'd imagine given time, especially if Russia wins some serious victories, you'll see increasing fetishes for the uniforms, and the creation of dominant BDSM looks based on them. This was kind of a thing during The Cold War for about 5 seconds but it never caught on quite the same way.

Of course being a "prosecutor" as people have pointed out, this might very well give people a figure to base such fantasies around. All we need is one story that she tormented prisoners/the convicted with sex appeal, or actually had an affair with one... or heck just a good sex scandal, and she'll probably be a fetish legend forever... deserved or not.

At any rate do a search for "Sexy Nazi Girls", it's indeed a thing. I would post some links, but most pages collecting a lot of this stuff go into "NSFW" territory so I won't (even though I could). That said a lot of them might have your little soldier doing the "Sieg Heil". :)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Funny. To me, she seems more like a Doctor Who character, possibly a member of UNIT.

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
Sleekit said:

/facepalm
To be fair, while there aren't any 'moe' pictures of Chemical Ali that I could find, I can tell you that Japanese artists have done 'moe' pictures of land masses and weather patterns. While I love the art, this is really nothing compared to other 'moe-ifications'.

Gender isn't even an issue. They could just as easily make a gender-bent version (and have, with other infamous people).