Assassin's Creed: Unity Set in Paris, Says Ubisoft

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Assassin's Creed: Unity Set in Paris, Says Ubisoft

They seek him here, they seek him there, but it's not the Scarlet Pimpernel this time.

It seems like only yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10216-Assassins-Creed-IV-Black-Flag-Sets-Sail-for-the-Caribbean] Edward Kenway made the Caribbean sea run red with blood. Now Ubisoft tells us there's another Assassin's Creed title in the offing: Unity. Yes, that Unity, the one about which all kinds of rumors have been spread.

Details there are few, and loose talk about co-op play can be neither confirmed nor denied, but this will be a next generation only title. Remember those screenshots that seemed to show the next one would be set in Paris [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133088-Report-Leaked-Images-Indicate-Assassins-Creed-Game-Set-in-Paris]? Well, now you know the sordid truth. Ubisoft thinks those pesky Templars can just "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!"

The official comment from Ubisoft:

We have been working on the new Assassin's Creed for more than three years, and wanted to find the perfect time to give you an early taste of the game. Apparently though, the Templar Order was hungry to know more right now. To this, we say "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!" ("Let them eat cake!"). Help yourself to a serving of the first official footage from the next-gen only Assassin's Creed Unity. Stay tuned - we'll have many more exciting details for you in the future.

So take heart: stabby fun times await! Updates as information becomes available, so keep watching.

[video=8934]

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
the idea of a new one of these.. doesn't excite me much, mostly because coming off the high of being a half assed assassin/ pretty good Pirate... nothing else seems all that interesting to me for time periods.. except maybe world war 1

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Didn't Yahtzee say in an Extra punctuation somewhere that he would quite enjoy an Assassin's creed set in the French Revolution, because it would revolve around the interesting premise of what happened if the assassins went too far?

(Well yes, actually) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9287-Assassins-Creed-2-85.2]

Colour me mildly interested....

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
What Unity? the Engine? AHH! Why does everything has to have the same name?! Its like naming your evil world domination scheme Project Prometheus or Icarus. The most unimaginative obvious nomenclature. Give us a AC: Stab-happy or something... its not like its a spoiler any more.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Well, at least Ubisoft have confirmed what the game won't end up looking like! I wonder if they will be daring and have the Assassins fighting on the side of the royals just to mix stuff up. Maybe even have them be cunning buggers and play for both sides so they can manipulate events for what they see to be the best outcome. Although I guess that is a bit too much like what the Templars are supposed to do.

ivc392 said:
What Unity? the Engine? AHH! Why does everything has to have the same name?! Its like naming your evil world domination scheme Project Prometheus or Icarus. The most unimaginative obvious nomenclature. Give us a AC: Stab-happy or something... its not like its a spoiler any more.
I can't wait for 'Assassin's Creed: Jump In Hay', sequel to the critically acclaimed 'Assassin's Creed: Neck Stabber'

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
This would have me very excited, except that it's so soon after Black Flag. The series still has long legs, but if they release it soon not many will buy it, mainly due strictly to sensory overkill. I've happily taken each AC game to date, but it's getting to that point where it will struggle as an annual franchise. There's just so much player fatigue, why can't they wait a year?

If the rumors are correct, this IS NOT THE ONLY AC game being released this year. Ugh.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Sounds pretty cool: here's hoping they are more sympathetic to the Templars, a'la AC3 style (haven't played Black Flag yet, which is unfortunate because the naval warfare in 3 was fucking awesome).

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I wonder what the obligatory secondary gameplay will be. Being set entirely in Paris would seem to preclude naval combat, maybe this entry will focus entirely on the core gameplay?

ivc392 said:
What Unity? the Engine? AHH! Why does everything has to have the same name?! Its like naming your evil world domination scheme Project Prometheus or Icarus.
Prometheus would be a terrible name for an evil scheme, what kind of villain with their sights set on world domination hopes to selflessly give humanity advanced technology and then be chained to a rock and eaten alive? Icarus is a little better but the name doesn't give much confidence in your chances of success.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
So thats the XB1/PS4 AC game revealed, and it looks interesting. Now we need to find out info on the second AC game thats supposedly only released on 360/PS3 consoles. Im wondering if the 360/PS3 game will be a sequel to AC4 in some way.m

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Eldritch Warlord said:
I wonder what the obligatory secondary gameplay will be. Being set entirely in Paris would seem to preclude naval combat, maybe this entry will focus entirely on the core gameplay?
If that's the case, they absolutely need to improve the fighting mechanics. And more importantly, please, please get rid of tailing missions.

They were utter crap and they're the only reason why I'd rate ACIV a 4/5.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
AssCreed V (I refuse to call it Unity) might be the victim of IVs success.

What was everybody's favorite party of IV? The Pirating. What is definitely going to not be in a game set during the French Revolution? Pirates. Add to this the fact that IV is still relatively enw, and we have a recipe for disaster.

Anthadlas Babyeater

Feb 26, 2013
Not really interested in AC anymore, they haven't changed anything in the franchise and it is now just the same boring game in a different setting.
Will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to delay the PC version for no particular reason.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Can't wait for the announcement of five different preorder editions this year, with exclusive DLC for each to boot!

Rtoip

Jan 15, 2011
Kinda cool. People waited for this setting for some time.
I hope this feels more assassinly. In 4 you were just some random guy who nicked a uniform and assassins themselves were kinda passive and uninteresting. It was more of using a surprisingly good side mechanic to make a pirate game than a proper assassin's creed. Similar feelings about 3. I think after decades long story of master assassin and de-facto leader of the brotherhood (who was also an actually funny guy) they really can't make it bigger and so it feels unsatisfactory.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
I hope everyone speaks french in this one. It would be nice to have some huge indoor locations to explore like the Notre-Dame or Versailles.

Feb 22, 2009
French Revolution? Seems interesting, though I was really hoping the rumours of one set in Japan would be true. Ah well, if they're releasing two this year maybe that will be the other one?

Hopefully this will be as excellent as Black Flag, that's been by far my favourite Assassin's Creed so far.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
Rtoip said:
Kinda cool. People waited for this setting for some time.
I hope this feels more assassinly. In 4 you were just some random guy who nicked a uniform and assassins themselves were kinda passive and uninteresting. It was more of using a surprisingly good side mechanic to make a pirate game than a proper assassin's creed. Similar feelings about 3. I think after decades long story of master assassin and de-facto leader of the brotherhood (who was also an actually funny guy) they really can't make it bigger and so it feels unsatisfactory.

Ass Creed 3 and 4 have come into a lot of debate between me and my brother, but we largely agree that the games would've likely been better-had they not been weighed down by the "Ass Creed" tropes. Connor for example, is a culturally accurate, if a bit naive, character. Edward, while enjoyable to play as at times, comes off as a bit of a tosser, a man who can't decide if doing something because it would benefit someone other than himself is a good thing or not, until the contrived finishing Moral Blast comes along and caves his skull in.

I believe it would've been a far more interesting game(Ass Creed 3 that is) if the setting was simply a half blood native man who's trying to come to grips with some of the conflicting personality traits he inherited whilst defending his tribes rather modest land from the ever encroaching presence of the future United States of America. I think if they'd've removed the Desmond thing(Which was a real piss off, giving the illusion of choice.) and focused purely on a story around that premise, it would've been more entertaining, though I'll admit, many people would have still had a hard time connecting with Connor on an emotional level because he's culturally different.(Many native tribes ascribe to the stoic view on life, that braving any storm with a calm composed state is the ideal. Which is vastly different from the widely more known "white" societal norm which pushes extroversion out as the clear cut winner.

As for Kenway, did we really need a contrived plot involving the Assassins being stupid(again) and Abstergo/Templars being equally stupid(again) just to go Privateering on the open Caribbean? I'd argue that no, it wasn't needed and in large was a detriment. I HATED going to port, the only reason I did was because the game arbitrarily decided "Oh you can't have all these neat toys until you do some story missions, tough shit."(I also had a personal giggle when Adewale said he wouldn't be accepted as Captain, because my entire crew were dark skinned if not outright African.) Kenway is a fairly charismatic man, a good protagonist who is flawed and (eventually, but god damn do they take their time getting there.) overcomes some of his flaws to become a better man, if a bit heavy handed in it's execution.

ON topic though, a Paris setting could be interesting, especially if they play a both sides against each other kind of thing, but dear god they'd better iron out some of their overused tropes because no ones going to want to go back to /just/ plain old running jumpy climby after Pirates of the Piratey Pirates 4.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
What? Who wanted France? Why don't they set it in Russia or Germany? Japan? Victorian England?

I mean, seriously now.