Peter Molyneux Claims Xbox One Kinect is a "Joke" and "Unnecessary"

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Peter Molyneux Claims Xbox One Kinect is a "Joke" and "Unnecessary"

Fable creator Peter Molyneux wishes Kinect wasn't a "requirement" for the Xbox One, and states he's "sure" Microsoft will release a Kinect-less version since not doing so, "would be unthinkable."

Are you a fan of the Xbox One's Kinect? No? Well, you're not alone. Apparently, famed game creator Peter Molyneux (Fable, Black and White) isn't, either. Talking to EDGE magazine in its latest issue [http://www.edge-online.com/news/can-microsoft-turn-things-around-for-xbox-one-we-speak-to-phil-spencer-phil-harrison-and-more-to-find-out/], the 22Cans founder states that Kinect feels like an unnecessary add-on, doesn't work, and feels more and more like a "joke."

"It feels like an unnecessary add-on to me. Maybe it's because we're in England, and it doesn't really use the TV stuff, but it feels more and more like a joke. My son and I sit there saying random things at it, and it doesn't work. They could cost-reduce it [by removing Kinect]. I'm sure they're going to release an Xbox One without Kinect. It would be unthinkable that they wouldn't.

Gaming enthusiasts have been clamoring for a cheaper, Kinect-free Xbox One for quite some time now (me being one of them), and it's comforting to see that even developers want the same thing. For Xbox One users, do you agree that Kinect is a joke on the console or is Molyneux just not using it correctly?

In other Peter Molyneux news, the designer has admitted he never be able to make his "perfect game." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132801-Peter-Molyneux-Hates-Free-To-Play]

Source: GameSpot [http://www.edge-online.com/news/can-microsoft-turn-things-around-for-xbox-one-we-speak-to-phil-spencer-phil-harrison-and-more-to-find-out/]

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Peter Molyneux speaking common sense and within attainable goals... Who is this imposter!?!?!? But more importantly, how do we keep this imposter?

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
"Fable creator Peter Molyneux thinks "it would be unthinkable" of Microsoft to one day release an Xbox One without Kinect"

This is the opposite of what he said. He said that it would be unthinkable for them to not release it without the kinect.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
softclocks said:
"Fable creator Peter Molyneux thinks "it would be unthinkable" of Microsoft to one day release an Xbox One without Kinect"

This is the opposite of what he said. He said that it would be unthinkable for them to not release it without the kinect.
Whoops! Sorry bout that. You're right, correcting now. :)

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Nobody cares what you have to say peter, after all the crap that has come out of your mouth. They are not going to make a version that doesn't have kinect because having it packed in the box is a promise to everyone that makes kinect games or games that use kinect for features that everyone will be able to use them, and it will be able to reach the entire xbone audience.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
"Fable creator Peter Molyneux thinks "it would be unthinkable" of Microsoft to one day release an Xbox One without Kinect..."

isnt that the exact opposite of what he said?

I'm sure they're going to release an Xbox One without Kinect. It would be unthinkable that they wouldn't.
i dont see a "no" in that first sentence

anyways, good ol' pete is right on this one, microsoft seems to still want to jump into the wii train, well after that train has left and the station itself has been demolished and turned into a parking lot

Gyron

Jul 15, 2009
softclocks said:

Every woman/man is entitled to change her/his opinion based on new information without needing to be reminded of their previous one. If people understood that, politicians would feel safer doing so without someone calling them a "flip-flopper" or flaky.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Alex Co said:
Peter Molyneux Claims Xbox One Kinect is "Unnecessary" and a "Joke"
Amazing...

I use the same words when I speak of Peter Molyneux! (Bring it Peter!)

[sub]though on this point he and I agree... just don't let him know![/sub]

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Gyron said:
softclocks said:

Every woman/man is entitled to change her/his opinion based on new information without needing to be reminded of their previous one. If people understood that, politicians would feel safer doing so without someone calling them a "flip-flopper" or flaky.
What in the world are you talking about?

I was pointing out a mistake the author did.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Every time I see one of these new "Peter Molyneux says something sensible" it sounds more and more like he entered some kind of depressive state of mind or something, it's just so weird to see the guy that said that creepy kid that talked to you was the future, saying that the Kinect is pretty much useless.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WashAran said:
So the kinect is about to turn in to the greates thing ever?
Nononononono, that's when Michael Pachter predicts something. You're messing up your infamous video game figures.

This article doesn't actually fit the traditional Peter Molyneux pattern, so do with that what you will.

OT: I dunno, I think that Microsoft is hard-headed enough to stick with their guns.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Well, he's right, but at this point it's a matter of pride and it's all they have to differentiate themselves from the cheaper and more powerful PS4, so don't expect to see a Kinect-less XB1 unless they get really freaking desperate.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
peter molyneux says something sensible and reasonable? I should watch out not to get hit by that flying pig now or what? this is so far outside his regular pattern it makes me think someone just made this up.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Finally someone "of worth" in the gaming industry has come out and said it. It only took you 6 months, but it's a start.

Kinect is the reason that Microsoft are losing the "war" in sales, because of the extra 100$ used in gimmicky technology that no one cares about and gimping their own hardware.

No wonder they can't even compete with PS4 when it comes to the hardware, Sony actually made their console to be used for..wait for it...GAMES! *le gasp*

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Bit of case of the pot calling the kettle black there Peter.

I actually like the kinect, but still I understand why others don't, but Peter molyneux has absolutely no right to weigh in on this one.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
from my understanding most xbox owners either dont have it plugged in or dont know what its doing

i think the voice commands are cool but you dont need a motion tracking camera for that

Middle_Index

Stoner/Metaller
Mar 6, 2014
"My son and I sit there saying random things at it, and it doesn't work."

no wonder it doesnt work if you are shouting "random" things at it. "arse biscuits!!!!!"

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Let's not start too much of a witch hunt for running jokes in the gaming community there, Peter.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
putowtin said:
Alex Co said:
Peter Molyneux Claims Xbox One Kinect is "Unnecessary" and a "Joke"
Amazing...

I use the same words when I speak of Peter Molyneux! (Bring it Peter!)

[sub]though on this point he and I agree... just don't let him know![/sub]
OK, I admit, this made me laugh. :)