Sony: Backwards Compatibility Is Never Coming Back

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sony: Backwards Compatibility Is Never Coming Back

Any hope for a possible return to the PS3 of PS2 backwards compatibility has been dashed away with authority by Sony's John Koller, who says the feature "won't be returning."

Keep your PS2s, folks. If you plan on upgrading to a PS3 at any time in the near future and want to play some Persona on it, you're going to have to shell out a premium for a used backwards compatible PS3, and those things are rare. Don't expect Sony to suddenly decide to have a change of heart and bring the feature back to future models of the console. They seem pretty darn sure they don't want it to happen.

"It's not coming back, so let me put that on the table," Sony's John Koller said. And despite the seemingly neverending chorus of demand for the feature, Koller says it's really not as big a deal as it looks like. "It's not as big as a purchase intent driver as you may be hearing."

Instead, Koller says that people aren't buying the PS3 to play old games. "We've got such a substantial lineup of titles on the PS3; most people are buying the PS3 for PS3 games," Koller said. "They've buying it for PS3 games and Blu-ray movies."

I don't doubt that, but there are quite a few people who'd like to use the system to play old games as well. Doesn't Koller realize that? But nope, guess he's got to say it more than once: "That won't be returning."

[Via Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08/sony-answers-our-questions-about-the-new-playstation-3.ars]]

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
It seems to me that Sony shot themselves in the foot with that move. They probably lost a bit of money because of that move. Luckily I have a backwards compatible PS3, so I can still play Persona.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
On the surface, it appears to be a misstep for Sony until you look at the ongoing sales figures for the PS2. It is still quite alive, folks.

You bring BC back to the PS3 and who would have reasons beyond price to buy a PS2 anymore?

Pure economic decision. Self-preservation, really.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Thank you Sony, for decreasing my number of reasons to get a PS3 by another number. It wasn't a big list to begin with.

I guess I'll just get a new PS2 to finish my PS2 games.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
I am not surprised. Sony seems to be marching quite happily ahead with their "slap our customers when they make demands" strategy.

Not that it matters. They don't need Backwards Compatibility because it will cut into their profits when they start providing all of those games on PSN for $10-15 bucks. That way, you wont be able to run out and buy those classic games for $4 at gamestop where Sony gets no profit.

Welcome back Sony, you greedy Corporate giant!
We missed you.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Jesus Sony what happened to you, I loved how they actually supported their older systems via backwards compatibility, now they're just tossing us out. Well whatever I still use the older systems anyway to play games but when the system breaks I won't be givin' them my money for yet another PS2.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Grayjack72 said:
It seems to me that Sony shot themselves in the foot with that move. They probably lost a bit of money because of that move. Luckily I have a backwards compatible PS3, so I can still play Persona.
Huh I was thinking the opposite. That BC is a bad idea for a company like Sony. You are trying to get consoles into homes so you can move the software. Relying on the library of the previous console instead of pushing the next gen titles while having the most expensive console on the market has gotta have a negative impact on sales.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Well they're argument kinda makes sense, but REALLY Sony?

I guess this is revenge for us demanding them to drop their PS3 prices.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Nobody used BC anyway. All of you said the PS3 was crap when they HAD BC. It's your own fault they removed it. BLAME YOURSELVES. Just buy a PS2 and be happy.

TikiShades

May 6, 2009
Hey we here at Company decided that convenience was stupid. No one wants that, right? Right.

Generator

May 8, 2009
That's too bad. Granted, I've kept my PS2, so I don't really care, but it just seems like an odd move on their part.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Anarien said:
On the surface, it appears to be a misstep for Sony until you look at the ongoing sales figures for the PS2. It is still quite alive, folks.

You bring BC back to the PS3 and who would have reasons beyond price to buy a PS2 anymore?

Pure economic decision. Self-preservation, really.
You're right. Why encourage people to purchase your NEWER, costly system you invested ludicrous amounts of capital into at tremendous losses when you can keep milking the cow from the last generation. I guess if you don't mind being the bottom shelf system of the gaming future.

It's a smart plan I guess... PS3's will be the top-selling system in 2015 for all the people who don't want the xbox 3rd or 4th iteration and the Nintendo Flesh-light...

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
The guys right about it not being a primary sales driver.

If your main reason for buying a PS3 was so you could play old PS2 games your idiot. Just go buy a cheap PS2 instead.

Also by not having it in they keep PS3 costs down, which means cheaper prices (well sort of).

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
And yet, Microsoft keeps the friend cap at 100 so everyone can still play Halo 2.

That'd be a point to Microsoft, but nobody is counting, so lets just say the iPhone wins.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
BC is never coming back, you can't install Linux on the Slim (and I'll bet a later firmware rev removes it from the older consoles).

These are now reasons I won't buy a PS3. It's great that they dropped the price, but Sony seems to do everything they can to piss me off.

I suppose I could still try and find a Phat with software BC though... but at this point I just don't want to give them any of my money.