BlizzCon '09: WoW: Cataclysm Worgen Hands-On

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BlizzCon '09: WoW: Cataclysm Worgen Hands-On

Cataclysm's Worgen get in touch with their wild side.

The newly unveiled WoW: Cataclysm is the talk of the show here at BlizzCon, and I got a chance to play through a bit of the starting area for the new Alliance race, the feral Worgen. I say "part" of the starting area, because we actually started at level 6 - apparently there are some big surprises lying in wait at the beginning.

My character woke up chained in a stockade, with two humans arguing whether or not to just put me to death or to give me the full dosage of the potential cure for the Worgen curse - one that would maybe allow me to retain my humanity.

Well, uh, it worked.

Interestingly enough, while out of combat, the Worgen can shift between their Worgen form and their normal Human state at the touch of a button - so if you want to hang out around the Auction House as a wolf or as a person, you can - but are forced into your Worgen form as soon as you enter combat. The transformation from human to Worgen is actually pretty well-done and looks painful (naturally, it's skipped in the in-combat shift).

From level 6 on, the storyline deals with a Forsaken assault on the lands of Gilneas, and I was - of course - sent to fight them off. Apparently, fighting off the Forsaken includes throwing kegs of gunpowder on the heads of Abominations so that a blunderbuss-packing quest giver can zap them from afar to blow them up. It also includes getting in a catapult to launch myself onto battleships to kill the captains.

But then, there was a twist - after turning in one final quest, the entire world shook around me. When I once again ventured outside, a huge portion of the coastline had vanished below the waves thanks to an earthquake - the first harbinger of the Cataclysm, one would assume. From there, the story turned to less of a "repel the Forsaken invasion," and more of a "We need to get out of here, now."

It wasn't anything too extraordinary, but the phasing and the (relatively) unexpected inclusion of the Cataclysm and how it changed the zone around me was a very cool touch. The little demo ended right after the first phase of the "evacuation" line, and we've seen that the effects of the Cataclysm will be much farther-reaching. We'll check out the Goblin starting area tomorrow, so come back for that!

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Let's just hope that the starting areas for the Goblins and Worgen will be just as awesome as the Death Knights.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
if only the human form looked more like the vyrkul well that and i hope i can alter the look of both forms

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
WHENTWOTRIBESGOTOWAR said:
Shame they have no racials.. Unlike those cheapskate goblins.
Who told you that? +Skinning, and they do it with their claws (so no knife needed), and a 10 second dash on a 3 minute cooldown.

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
Dammit, I can no longer call my self a Hordie. Or a Tauren enthusiast.

Blizzard, why must you test my loyalties so?

I suppose I'll be making a Worgen DK. It just sounds too awesome to pass up.

Danman1

Mar 27, 2009
Let us applaud Blizzard for something we havent seen from them in months. Effort. Real Effort.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Who told you that? +Skinning, and they do it with their claws (so no knife needed), and a 10 second dash on a 3 minute cooldown.
Did you get to try out the Darkflight sprint, is it like a rogue sprint or like a druid travel form(interpreted by the description saying "true form"). If it is like the rogue sprint, I bet it never makes it live.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rednog said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Did you get to try out the Darkflight sprint, is it like a rogue sprint or like a druid travel form(interpreted by the description saying "true form"). If it is like the rogue sprint, I bet it never makes it live.
It's exactly like Rogue Sprint. 70% speed for 10 seconds.

Draco Kaiser

Mar 20, 2009
I really hate how the goblins have so many good racials. As a Worgen, I wouldn't do skinning cause it would be immoral and only a Rouge-imitate dash?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Draco Kaiser said:
I really hate how the goblins have so many good racials. As a Worgen, I wouldn't do skinning cause it would be immoral and only a Rouge-imitate dash?
The worgen racials are so much better than the goblin ones, the goblin ones are really more of a convenience while worgen have actual combat uses.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Are they exactly like Stormwind humans when in non-worgen form? Do you choose how you look or is it semi-random?

I have to say, they do sound pretty damn awesome as it is.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
FOR THE ALLIANCE! Finally a cool race, i am getting sick of my gnome warrior...
Don't judge me!

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I am dieing to level one of these but i'm still dreading the fact I have to do outlands again.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I'm going to love leveling one of these and one of the Goblins. The fact they can change form human to Wolf form is just badass.

Too bad the humans look terrible. It would have been nice to see a reskin of the old races, since everything else in WoW is getting a make over.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
Michael_McCloud said:
Dammit, I can no longer call my self a Hordie. Or a Tauren enthusiast.

Blizzard, why must you test my loyalties so?
i no, horde will want this way more than alliance :(

also, when the world changes, is that gonna be a global thing, otherwise people will be running into invisable walls while questing together, then ill probably be ofline and not lie the new world or somethin