280 Hour Commodore 64 RPG Coming Out This Year

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
I'm definitely buying this game at release.

The design looks good for a game that has been in development for so long, and I hope it provides a ton of choices if what the developers are saying is true.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I will be checking the newcomer site every day to see if it releases.
Thanks for the heads up, Escapist!

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Aww, that is so fucking cool. Kinda gives me hope for the epic theme album I've been working on for.. 6 or 7 years now?

I wish my mom still had our old C64. It'd be cool to find a way to play it "for realz".

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
i got a c128d in my attic :p who knows it it would even run anymore.

i definately want to check this when it comes out, see what 20 years worth of work can do for a retro game.

merman

Jul 15, 2010
Jamboxdotcom said:
this is awesome, but... "Commodore 64 fell out of commercial viability in 1994" wtf? i thought it was dead by '90? but then again, i was young then, so my memories may be spotty.
There were still commercial games being released in 1994, notably the conversion of Lemmings (which is awesome) and Alien 3 (based on the SNES platform game), and of course the biggest game of the lot Mayhem in Monsterland (available now on the Wii's Virtual Console)

And Newcomer is not the only big RPG still in development for the C64 - check out http://www.arkanixlabs.com/crimsontwilight.php for news on Crimson Twilight

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Jamboxdotcom said:
this is awesome, but... "Commodore 64 fell out of commercial viability in 1994" wtf? i thought it was dead by '90? but then again, i was young then, so my memories may be spotty.
There were still commercial games made for the C64 in the early 90s. Mayhem in Monsterland, for example, was published in 1993.

Remzer

Provider of Nutrients
Jul 29, 2009
Oh I'm gonna get my hands on that.

/cue memories of me playing Crusaders of the Dark Savant (of Wizardry fame), back in the days...

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
2MB? How many diskettes does that take? Or do you have to put it on a harddrive?

Shale_Dirk said:
I'm going to need to sort out burning C64 games onto 5 1/4" from Windows 7.

There's no way I'm playing this through an emulator.
There are adapter cables for plugging C64 disk drives into PC parallel ports, use Star Commander [http://sta.c64.org/sc.html] to access the disk from the PC. I've only used it to copy from the disks to my PC but the other way around probably works too.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
...graphics are still important? In an age where millions of people have been playing a game made of 16x16 pixel cubes? Keep up with the times, man! Retro is coming back! ...again, anyway.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
This makes me happy in ways that are uncomfortable to talk openly about. Seriously, those graphics look fine. I guess when you grow up on stuff like that they never lose their appeal.

I'd pay good money for this.