Ubisoft Confirms No Major Assassin's Creed Game in 2016

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Ubisoft Confirms No Major Assassin's Creed Game in 2016

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1276/1276275.jpg

Ubisoft is "stepping back and re-examining the Assassin's Creed franchise."

In a post today [http://blog.ubi.com/a-message-from-the-assassins-creed-team/], Ubisoft confirmed that the company would be "stepping back and re-examining the Assassin's Creed franchise," meaning that no new major Assassin's Creed game will be released in 2016.

The post opened with discussion about Assassin's Creed Syndicate, as well as the upcoming Assassin's Creed film, which will star Academy Award nominee Michael Fassbender. The post then moves on to the future of the game franchise.

"This year, we also are stepping back and re-examining the Assassin's Creed franchise. As a result, we've decided that there will not be a new Assassin's Creed game in 2016," the post reads. "Since the release of Assassin's Creed Unity, we've learned a lot based on your feedback. We've also updated our development processes and recommitted to making Assassin's Creed a premier open-world franchise. We're taking this year to evolve the game mechanics and to make sure we're delivering on the promise of Assassin's Creed offering unique and memorable gameplay experiences that make history everyone's playground."

A rumor began circulating in January that no Assassin's Creed game would release in 2016, along with a second rumor that the next title would be set in Egypt. This has yet to be confirmed.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Good on them, I rather enjoyed the franchise until recently and I'd rather they get their shit together the keep making yearly titles.
This series better do the 1916 Rising before it closes up shop dammit!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Translation: "So we ran this franchise right into the ground. Who would have thought that crapping out a rushed game every year could lead to franchise decay?"

I think it was quite clear that the series was going downhill - well, even more downhill than it already had been - when one of the features mentioned on the trailer for Unity was "It's been developed by 10 different studios!" That's...that's not something you really want to be boasting about, as it tends to mean your game is going to be an absolute cluster-fuck. And look how Unity turned out.

Eh, but what do I care? I checked out after the crap-fest that was AC3.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
well I'm still getting around to Syndicate which I think is really cool so I don't mind this at all :) now they have more time to work on Beyond Good and Evil 2

GojiraGamer

May 23, 2014
Thank goodness for that. Here's hoping this will result in a Assassin's Creed closer in quality to titles like Rogue, Brotherhood, and Assassin's Creed II. And that Ubisoft will get around to Beyond Good & Evil 2, and maybe a new Prince of Persia.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
dirtysteve said:
Diablo1099 said:
Good on them, I rather enjoyed the franchise until recently and I'd rather they get their shit together the keep making yearly titles.
This series better do the 1916 Rising before it closes up shop dammit!
I'd rather they stay away from it. A bit too recent, I don't want some PC franco-canuck shitting all over my history.
Oh come on, part of the fun is seeing what they fuck up and who they turn into the bad guys.
Hell, I remember expanded universe material stating that even the Bush/Gore election was part of the Templar/Assassin conflict.

Besides, what other series would even consider having Dublin or countryside Ireland as a setting?

kekkres

Jun 5, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Translation: "So we ran this franchise right into the ground. Who would have thought that crapping out a rushed game every year could lead to franchise decay?"

I think it was quite clear that the series was going downhill - well, even more downhill than it already had been - when one of the features mentioned on the trailer for Unity was "It's been developed by 10 different studios!" That's...that's not something you really want to be boasting about, as it tends to mean your game is going to be an absolute cluster-fuck. And look how Unity turned out.

honestly i think the biggest problem is they are running out of history to fit into their liner narative. beyond syndicate where can they go? the world wars are no place for an assassin, and any times of unrest since then are far too recent to actualy assign heros and villans to. You say they ran it into the ground but its still printing money, less money than it was printing before admittidly, but its still highly profitable.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
And yet still no Assassin's Creed game set in Feudal Japan. Missing out on a big sale there Ubi-Soft.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
kekkres said:
honestly i think the biggest problem is they are running out of history to fit into their liner narative. beyond syndicate where can they go? the world wars are no place for an assassin, and any times of unrest since then are far too recent to actualy assign heros and villans to. You say they ran it into the ground but its still printing money, less money than it was printing before admittidly, but its still highly profitable.
Well you kinda spelled out one of the ways they ran it into the ground: "Where can they go now?" By pumping out a game every year they're rapidly eating through the interesting historical periods to set the game in.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
dirtysteve said:
Are you from Dublin? Only saying because there are other cities in Ireland. :) I think they've held off on 20th century onwards. I can see why, the tech makes a lot of AC weapons obsolete, even if they were in limited use.

To quote the Countess "Dress suitably in short skirts and strong boots, leave your jewels in the bank and buy a revolver."
(obvious choice for a Assassin member), she is credited with wounding a British Sniper during the fighting.

Although, if it meant a return to actual stealth, to avoid machine guns, it could be a good thing.

I'd still prefer they leave such a sensitive and relevant part of our culture alone though.
Nah, stuck in the West of Ireland, just let's face it, if there was one place to set a possible Irish!Assassin's Creed, it'd be Dublin.

And, while I get what you are saying, the idea kinda excites me to see such an important part of our culture end up on the gaming scene though a AAA Title.
I mean, it's not like they haven't gotten facts wrong before, Hell, I remember my History text book having to point out that the film "Micheal Collins" implied Dev Valra had a part in his death and was factually incorrect for doing so.
That and I am of the believe that, even if the game isn't accurate, it would still promote interest in the history itself as people would want to see if stuff really happened like that.

Key example is in AC: Revelations when Ezio points out that the Dante's Inferno was mostly him getting back at his political enemies, So I looked that up to see if that was true or not (It is BTW).
Imagine a few million gamers the world over doing the same for Irish History?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Go and get yourself Black Flag.

It wasn't really an Assassin's Creed game, it was a pirate game pretending it was about ninjas. It's also the only one I spent money on after AC2. It also backed the series into a corner, nothing since has gotten within a mile of being as good as Black Flag was.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
And there was much rejoicing *mildly-interested yays in the background*

Ubisoft really needs to step back and figure out how to make something other than The Ubisoft Game #8675309.
And free up some budget for the one sequel they refuse to.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
RJ 17 said:
Go and get yourself Black Flag.

It wasn't really an Assassin's Creed game, it was a pirate game pretending it was about ninjas. It's also the only one I spent money on after AC2. It also backed the series into a corner, nothing since has gotten within a mile of being as good as Black Flag was.
Bought it, played it for 15 minutes, the game froze and crashed on my brand new PS4, and I immediately took it back for a full refund. AC3 did the exact same thing on my 360 and it was a shitty experience battling bugs, freezes, and crashes the entire way through that game, as such I had no desire to do the same with Black Flag.

So while I technically have played Black Flag, AC3 is really where I consider myself as being officially done with the franchise.

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
That's really good news actually. They should probably take a few years off, but we all know that's not going to happen. I checked out after Black Flag myself. AC3 was a mess but the worst part about it was how cool it could have been if they hadn't switched characters and made Connor's story so BORING and fruitless.

I was interested in Syndicate because of Evie but so far I haven't been able to bring myself to pick it up, just too depressing to think about all the garbage I'll have to go through. Here's hoping that they'll hop backwards again. There's plenty of history to go through that's interesting.

Or maybe we could go back to the near future? I actually thought it was kind of cool to parkour and fight without assistance. But I'm thinking I'm the only one.