Ubisoft Confirms No Major Assassin's Creed Game in 2016

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Bought it, played it for 15 minutes, the game froze and crashed on my brand new PS4, and I immediately took it back for a full refund.
Well sir, you are one unlucky soul.

Black Flag was one of the more stable PC ports to come out of Ubisoft, I would have assumed the console versions were at least as stable. Fair enough for trying it though.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Given the reception of the last games that sounds like a reasonable decision.

Badly timed by Ubisoft though since the movie will be out this fall and act as a promotion for the games no matter its quality. Had they had a new Assassin's Creed out in conjunction with the movie I suspect there would have been some synergies

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Reflection? Introspection? Is this really Ubisoft?

I was kinda expecting "Assassins Creed 2066: Modern Assassin" as the next installment.
With lasers. And hoverboards.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Good, fantastic, and great. They need a break. After Black Flag the series took a hard fall with the pile 'o shit known as Unity. If Syndicate was only slightly better than that, we're looking at a mediocre game at best.

Hopefully a year off and with a setting that is finally not fucking Europe or the Americas, this game series could be awesome again.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
dirtysteve said:
Yeah, there was a lot of inaccuracy in Michael Collins, but also a lot of respect, that is the key difference. Alan Rickman did a fantastic job of De Valera too.
Hey, say what you will about the quality of the games but they put the work into the history side of things a good amount of the time.
Eh, it was just a pipe dream of mine anyway, I think they have a lot more popular periods and events to cover first.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Elfgore said:
Good, fantastic, and great. They need a break. After Black Flag the series took a hard fall with the pile 'o shit known as Unity. If Syndicate was only slightly better than that, we're looking at a mediocre game at best.

Hopefully a year off and with a setting that is finally not fucking Europe or the Americas, this game series could be awesome again.
If they ever went with Irish History, I think you would like it.
The last century of my country's history could actually be mistaken for that of an War Torn African country at times :p

1916, the War of Independence, the Civil War, IRA/Nazi operations during WW2, the Troubles, lots of material to work with there.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Thank goodness. Generally I consider myself a fan of Assassin's Creed but that's primarily because it's one of the few game series that visits periods of history and isn't an RTS. However, I was starting to get burned out on AC as far back as Black Flag and the only reason I have the ones since then is because my sister gave them to me as birthday gifts.

Although I can't imagine the ridiculous price of Syndicate in countries outside of the US helped the sales figures that much.

Hearing that they're going to take a year off is a definite relief and I hope that it will help breathe some new life into the franchise.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
[Insert overly cynical doomsaying here, to the general effect of "it won't change shit"]

I guess Syndicate didn't sell too great then? Or at least not as well as they were hoping.

RJ 17 said:
Well you kinda spelled out one of the ways they ran it into the ground: "Where can they go now?" By pumping out a game every year they're rapidly eating through the interesting historical periods to set the game in.
I'd say that a lack of historical material to draw from is the very least of AC's problems.

Besides, it's not like they've done that many historical periods. At least not in the main games.
- The Crusades.
- Renaissance Italy.
- The American Revolution.
- Whenever Black Flag was exactly.
- The French Revolution.
- Industrial Revolution London.

I think human history has a tiny wee bit more than that to offer.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
didnt expect that. still not finished with syndicate and have to wait longer for that damn tower to arrive. shop takes it sweet time getting it.
well, if they make something good of it, why not. have to admit, that syndicate is pretty solid and have a good time too, unity really stopped me from getting getting it and rogue. heard better things from syndicate so i got it. was cheap too.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
Elfgore said:

If they ever went with Irish History, I think you would like it.
The last century of my country's history could actually be mistaken for that of an War Torn African country at times :p

1916, the War of Independence, the Civil War, IRA/Nazi operations during WW2, the Troubles, lots of material to work with there.
It could be cool and sounds cool... but so did the French Resistance and English gangsters. Those didn't turn out that swell. It could be a setting for a later game, but right now they just need to get away from Europe. They've just burned me out on it. Them hitting up India, China, Egypt, Japan, etc. Something that will require their artist to design new things is pretty much the only thing that will catch my eye at this point.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Elfgore said:
It could be cool and sounds cool... but so did the French Resistance and English gangsters. Those didn't turn out that swell. It could be a setting for a later game, but right now they just need to get away from Europe. They've just burned me out on it. Them hitting up India, China, Egypt, Japan, etc. Something that will require their artist to design new things is pretty much the only thing that will catch my eye at this point.
Ehehehe, sorry, I just REALLY want muh Irish History game ;A;

Still, 2 words: Assassin. Ninjas.
Come on Ubisoft, you know you want to!

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The dev teams are secretly crying tears of joy as they can finally have a break from Asscreed.

vhailorx

Mar 7, 2011
It was obvious that a yearly schedule was crushing the franchise way back with ACIII (or even the third ezio game, legacy?, birthright?, revelations?, the fact I can't remember it is indicative of the problem).

AC IV's success gave ubisoft an undeserved sense of security (but, in reality, people like that game despite of the AC brand, not because of it as demonstrated by the woeful failures of Unity and Syndicate).

Take 2 or 3 years, come up with an interesting idea and put together a functional product. Everyone will win; players will get some actual return on the perpetually intriguing and almost-always squandered concept of the series, and ubi will make tons of cash.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
MC1980 said:
vhailorx said:
It was obvious that a yearly schedule was crushing the franchise way back with ACIII (or even the third ezio game, legacy?, birthright?, revelations?, the fact I can't remember it is indicative of the problem).

AC IV's success gave ubisoft an undeserved sense of security (but, in reality, people like that game despite of the AC brand, not because of it as demonstrated by the woeful failures of Unity and Syndicate).

Take 2 or 3 years, come up with an interesting idea and put together a functional product. Everyone will win; players will get some actual return on the perpetually intriguing and almost-always squandered concept of the series, and ubi will make tons of cash.
Sans Brotherhood (a bit more than a year I think) and Revelations (10 months) all the main games post AC2 had close to 3 years of dev time. Unity had been worked on for 5 years total since it's inception I believe, AC3 was 3 years. They have like 3 teams making the games. Release schedule doesn't accurately represent production length.
No, they have 12 teams per game, so they can be massive and a yearly release. And that's the problem, too many cooks and too little care for quality.
I remember back when they made a huge deal about Assasin's Creed being different from other games, since other games have sequels made after the fact while AC was written and designed to be a trilogy. They kept banging on about how they have the entire story for all three games pre-written and how it would conclude with the third, how it's a self contained trilogy.

I hope this is the end of the series, really sick of it, this series needs to be put out of its misery just as much as Sonic does.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
This is the best Assassin's Creed-related news in years. Now if only there was also no game in 2017, 2018, 2019 and all through 2048, that would be perfect.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Dead Metal said:
I hope this is the end of the series, really sick of it, this series needs to be put out of its misery just as much as Sonic does.
As Sonic Generations has illustrated by being great, all Sonic needs is a competent dev team and polished gameplay style. He doesn't need to be put out of his misery, he needs to stick with a gameplay style. AssCreed's problem is completely different for it's stagnating beyond belief because it did stick with one gameplay style for a gajillion games over a small period of time.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
dirtysteve said:
I think they've held off on 20th century onwards. I can see why, the tech makes a lot of AC weapons obsolete, even if they were in limited use.
I don't know, but Phantom Pain was a pretty good Assassin Creed for it being a Metal Gear title. I mean, declare Sahelanthropus and the parasites forebearer tech and put a knife on the rocketpunch arm and it's pretty much a AC. Including army building and upgrading shops to get better weapons.

Also you might remember Splinter Cell is an Ubisoft title.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
MC1980 said:
vhailorx said:

Sans Brotherhood (a bit more than a year I think) and Revelations (10 months) all the main games post AC2 had close to 3 years of dev time. Unity had been worked on for 5 years total since it's inception I believe, AC3 was 3 years. They have like 3 teams making the games. Release schedule doesn't accurately represent production length.
That's not really a point in favor of the games, given the state that the vast majority of them have released in. Also, the person you quoted never said the games themselves were actually made on a yearly schedule (though that might be what they meant); regardless of the production time the release schedule has still been a huge damper for the franchise. Not only has it exhausted the gameplay mechanics that were originally kind of fresh and interesting, but it's also simply fatigued a great number of the people who were into the series in the first place. I know a few fans of the franchise who haven't started Unity yet, and didn't even get Syndicate.