Ubisoft Confirms No Major Assassin's Creed Game in 2016

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I'm interested in the major part.
So we will still get at least one AC game, just not a "major" one.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
RJ 17 said:
kekkres said:
honestly i think the biggest problem is they are running out of history to fit into their liner narative. beyond syndicate where can they go? the world wars are no place for an assassin, and any times of unrest since then are far too recent to actualy assign heros and villans to. You say they ran it into the ground but its still printing money, less money than it was printing before admittidly, but its still highly profitable.
Well you kinda spelled out one of the ways they ran it into the ground: "Where can they go now?" By pumping out a game every year they're rapidly eating through the interesting historical periods to set the game in.
Well, that, and the "Animus/Desmond's ancestral memories" and "Assassin's VS Templars" plot devices limits them further to what settings they can utilize, because they need to weave at least one of those into the story in order to maintain the, frankly pointless, metaplot.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Mangod said:
RJ 17 said:
kekkres said:
honestly i think the biggest problem is they are running out of history to fit into their liner narative. beyond syndicate where can they go? the world wars are no place for an assassin, and any times of unrest since then are far too recent to actualy assign heros and villans to. You say they ran it into the ground but its still printing money, less money than it was printing before admittidly, but its still highly profitable.
Well you kinda spelled out one of the ways they ran it into the ground: "Where can they go now?" By pumping out a game every year they're rapidly eating through the interesting historical periods to set the game in.
Well, that, and the "Animus/Desmond's ancestral memories" and "Assassin's VS Templars" plot devices limits them further to what settings they can utilize, because they need to weave at least one of those into the story in order to maintain the, frankly pointless, metaplot.
And that's the other thing...the series would have been so much better if they never had the modern day faffing about. Just give us random "people need some killin' in this time-period, go parkour your way towards killin' those people" scenarios and then you can place the games in any time period you want. Feudal Japan, Vietnam War, WW2, Medieval Europe, Ancient Egypt...

Rather than using a crap-story to try and keep the series linked together, just go with similar themes and mechanics to link the games while each game itself has a stand-alone story.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I concur with Yahtzee's description of AC games being a sort of chart/graph of quality. I even agree with him as AC3 was a bit of a low point (It just wasn't as fun).
I haven't gotten around to Syndicate yet but he compares to a straight line of quality and zero innovation from Unity, but I hear better things about it. I can't wait to run around as a female for once.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Good riddance but sadly instead they will have watch dogs 2 which will spawn 20 different sequels in future and also far cry.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Thank God for that. Ass Creed was a true next-gen exemplar back in 2006 but it's become beyond formulaic recently. An overhaul would be good, putting the damn series to rest would arguably be even better.

I just hope this doesn't mean we'll be getting an annual Far Cry instead. Or *yet another* Prince of Persia reboot. Come to think of it, I hate Ubisoft right now.