287: Can't Catch 'em All

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
John Funk said:
Can't Catch 'em All

Pokemon pulls a cruel trick on its fans by encouraging them to "Catch 'em all!", but makes it nearly impossible for them to actually do it.

Read Full Article
In case you weren't aware (though I'm sure you are), Celebi will actually be available in America (for the first time) later this year in February. \

Admittedly, I cheated in the new games to get some of the old legendaries like Mew or Celebi as well as get legendaries from games I had no intention of buying (Manaphy and Phione). But the former was because of the lack of backwards-compatibility and the latter was because I had no interest in Pokemon Ranger.

As for Mew in Red/Blue... Mew Glitch? Not really cheating and it's still a Mew. Coulda done that.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Andy of Comix Inc said:
287: Can said:
I heard John Funk likes Mudkips.
Oh you are just the worst kind of person. ;-;
If you badmouth mudkips I swear to god I will reenact that avatar of yours...

but like...with you. Not me. Cause doing it to myself would be bad.

Best Page on Internet: http://projectpokemon.org/events

You can get the 1:1 downloads of the event pokemon :). It's great for those of us with jobs.

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
kevo.mf.last said:
Josdeb said:
I'm from Australia.
We hardly ever have Nintendo events.

Do you know how bummed I am that American Gamestops are offereing Shiny Enteis, Suicunes and Raikous? Which will unlock Zorora if transfered to Black/White? And a Celebi? All this month!

I only have a Jirachi and Mew (Which, don't get me wrong, is awesome. I just miss out on ALL the others which is a bummer)
just keep waiting the events will swing your way. they dogs and celebi tie into the new movie. its premiering feb 5th in america. find out when its premiering in australia and you will find out when the pokemon are coming.
We haven't had a Pokemon movie released in cinemas in Australia since 2000.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Exactly why I stopped playing Pokémon after Silver. It was fun but I wasn't content with just collecting most. When I found out that collecting Mew was more or less imposable for me, I stopped. Though I did buy Diamond not that long back after I heard about the Wi-Fi events.

Adremmalech

Mar 1, 2009
I had both Red and Blue. My Brother had Red. I did catch them all, and I was incredibly disappointed with the bullshit certificate the game director hands you in Cerulean City.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Back in the days of Red and Blue, I owned Pokemon Red and my sister Blue. I had had the game for a while and had the 8 badges etc. My sister had about 4 badges but because she had chosen Charmander as her first Pokemon, she had a hell of a time beating Brock and Misty. I didn't know this at the time. One day, a thought hit me. If I start a new game on her Blue and get different starters, I can transfer them to my game so I have all three. Perfect! So I pinched her Gameboy one day when she was at school and for some reason I wasn't (can't remember why, it was about 6 years ago now). I started a new game on her system and went to transfer the starters to my game when the box popped up saying "We will have to save the game." And I thought.... oh.... this is going wipe her progress so I can get the 3 starters. My thumb hovered over the 'A' button for a few seconds before I pressed it and wiped out her progress.

I got what I wanted but at what cost? I knew my sister wouldn't know I had done it, she was 12 and ignorant and would believe what I told her. That her game was corrupted.
I put her Gameboy back and sat down with my 3 starters. After 10 minutes I stopped, put my Gameboy down. Said the words "fuck sake", went and got her Gameboy, and spent the rest of the day getting her game back to the point (more or less) that I had wiped it from.

I wish I had never wiped her game to start with as it made me feel like a tool for ruining her game just so I could be a little closer to "Catching them all".
Luckily, she never found out.

xengk

Sep 23, 2010
Never really caught on to pokemon or digimon.
But another game had me pulling my hair and shorten my sleeping hours daily, Dia-mutherfukken-blo 2.

The endless hunt for good equipment has consumed a large part of my younger days and nights. Many fell to the dark side of dups and item generators, but I soldiered on because 1 simple fact: I got no Internet access back then.
I would be being on single player runs with /players 8. Things got really bad later due to too much awesome junk, like picking up Homunculus by a paladin or Magewrath by a barb.
I resort to using ATMA to transfer item between characters.

Hi Diablo Anonymous.
I am xengk, and I am a Diablo Addict who use 3rd party program.

Zelgerath

Feb 4, 2011
I think that many of you are over-reacting. It's not "Nearly Impossible" to catch them all, it's actually quite easy, but it just takes a really long time (Waiting for the Events to happen). If you live in the United States near a Toys R Us and GameStop, You just need to be paying attention to A Pokemon News Website for when the Pokemon Events happen. I learned my lesson in Generation 3 when I missed the Celebi and Deoxys Event (not that I could go to them anyways, since they are out of state).

If you really want to catch them all, don't give up. And don't cheat.

Check this out! =D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4gNLE-hpwU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgzWgPC_lV0

PlasmaSnake13

Dec 8, 2010
Too bad it's all said and done. They're already running out of ideas, and a restart seems impossible. B/W delays the inevitable, and MAYBE if they keep the same formula of gating off the old pkmn until you beat the game, they MIGHT save the franchise.

And their definition of save doesn't include the people who play it.

dark_zorua

Feb 21, 2011
well i agree you cant catch them all realy easily without wifi or other games to trade to i myself have 363 and iv been working on my ss for about a year and you cannot get them all without cheating, having other games to trade with, wifi connection , events, ultra saving, and dns codes.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
i gave up on this goal a long time ago.
i just pick my main team, hm users, and some alternative to use when needed. i will catch any one i don't have if i encounter them. as for legendary's as long there not event or wonder around randomly why not catch them.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Ironically, there is a glitch to catch a Mew in Yellow, but it wasn't discovered until years after it mattered.

Of course, if somebody had a time machine, they could fix this easily.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Only the event Pokémon bullshit ever really annoyed me. Living in Europe, I never seem to be aware of any of those 'mons being available to me.

Not that it matters in the end. I always thought getting the (run-of-the-mill, found in tall grass) ones that I like the most, training them, going through the adventure and leading them to victory was what the game was all about. Fuck a Celebi.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Hee Hee. I was so lucky. Someone in primary school had a Mew, but I can't remember where he got it. He traded it to my friend's Pokémon Gold where we cloned it over and over so everyone could have a copy. I still have Mew on my Pokémon Blue. :D
Still can't catch them all though. My link cable broke, I lost Pokémon Red and my friend's don't have gameboys. :(

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I think we're all taking this too seriously. However, I also think Gamefreak needs to stop making more 'mons and start working on what they already have. They need to have something more than just the same story and a few gimmicky features every new release. I know they can do better than that. Gold is perfect proof of it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Same thing happened to me. I baught Pok'e'Ranger just to get Manaphy. Completed that long ass game to unlock the extra mission only to be told,

Nintendo: "OH YOU BAUGHT THE GAME SECOND HAND, ONLY ONE PER GAME IM AFRAID, EVEN IF YOU RESTART DURHURHUR!!!"

Me: "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU YOOOOOOOOUUUU NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

I hacked it and got my Manaphy egg... and all I felt was cheated. Instead of my awesome Manaphy I had crusaded through a rather difficult game for I had a... shadow of a pokemon... a lye in Water type form... a Missingo if ever I saw one... it felt wrong.