287: Second-Hand Elf

Syan

Ressentiment
Jan 10, 2009
Its an unfortunate sign of the times that the wonderful White Wolf interpretations of the Elves more generally the Fae as a whole is completely overlooked for their cliché vampire obsessed city romps (thank you twilight /sarcasm)

One of the few really bizzare and wonderful interpretations of the traditional Fae, many of them described or shown in images as clearly Elven in apperance, with personalities that can be frivolous, sadistic, alien but allways chaotic.
The Nobles in the Age of Sorrows/Exalted series fit the Elven feel, but feed on dreams and emotions wishing to devour the world - I would have loved to see this type of Elf developed in visual/interactive media, the crazy fun the designers could have with these unpredictable beings shaping and changing reality and using glamour would be awesome. Sadly it looks unlikely.

The 'Elf' described in this article is spot on, but like all things the playable races need to be instantly identifiable and relate to the player, I mean from a design decision if you cant understand your character's motivation or understand the way they think then its hard to play one through satisfyingly in a role playing game, which limits how creative you can get unless your going for a niche crowd.

jez29 said:
That said, in today's market-driven world art must sell, which has put something of a premium on creativity. Dragon Age is used in the argument as an example of over-reliance on 'classic fantasy', yet this is a game that not only sold well but received extremely good reviews. Sure, the world wasn't the most original, but it was very well implemented and so people loved it. This is no criticism of reviewers or consumers, since its impossible to tell within a week of release whether any artwork is truly 'great'.
This ^^ Definitely true that mass marketing of idea's popularised by Tolkien, DnD and what we now call 'classic' fantasy in the last 20 years have really helped open the genre which is synonymous with RPG, its awesome that the games are big budget and no longer for a limited audiences even if it means that creativity takes a hit in the process.

Examples of oldschool RPG's like Torment, and even Morrowind that were really original were experimental for a small audience that understood the details of the source material and their budget and bar for success was much smaller compared to today's titles so they could afford to take risks perhaps today's developers wont try too.

- Epic fantasy romps are getting good money and audiences at last, slowly people are coming around to the ideas and are ready for something new, someone, somewhere WILL take a risk on originality soon! (eventually!... I hope!)

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
I'm betting a big reason why games prefer the "pre-made" rendition of their denizens and world details is the fact that coming up with new stuff can scare people off. Loved the Elder Scrolls, but anyone remember getting into that series? Ya it was lots of background that would confuse most people if you tried to explain even the simple concepts. Im guessing developers get scared that if they can't properly induct their player base into their own lore, then they sure the chance of loss of popularity and somewhere down the line sales. If your a gamer well played in a variety of games, then I'm sure you've come across those games where the world is interesting, but it was never presented properly.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
This one is debatable. Tolkien's creature names have entered the English lexicon. You may as well chastise people for ripping off Shakespeare by using the words 'bloody' or 'assassin'.

Ernil Menegil

Aug 2, 2010
Jumwa said:
DannibalG36 said:
I think I just cried tears of joy upon realizing that someone else had bothered to read the Silmarillion.
I always keep a copy of the Silmarillion on my computer desk for some inspiration when RPGing or crafting new characters and stories.

Whoso hideth or hoardeth a Silmaril, this swear us both brother:
Death we will deal him ere Day?s ending, woe unto world?s end!
I join ye in this most honorable oath. I was moved when I saw Silmarillion references all over.

Taranaich

Jul 30, 2008
The thing to remember about Tolkien is that he didn't just take elves, orcs, dwarves and goblins wholesale from Norse Mythology: he did a lot of alteration, to the point where they cease to be the same things anymore. Look at Norse dwarves, for example: in pre-Christian norse Mythology, sure they dwelled underground, were great craftsmen and smiths, and they loved gold, but they were also the same size as humans, they had pale corpse-like skin, jet black hair, and sunlight is deadly to them. Does that sound anything like Gimli? Compare Norse elves, goblins and the like, and you'll find they have similarities as well as weaknesses.

The truth is, Tolkien's Middle-earth is the "Elder Scrolls" to Norse Mythology: taking some familiar elements, and radicalizing them into something new and exciting. There is a vast gulf of difference between what Tolkien did with Norse mythology, and what later writers have done with Tolkien.

To be frank, I'm sick of fantasy settings that have elves, dwarves, goblins and dragons at all, yet somehow it's gotten to the point where a setting that doesn't have those things or their equivalents it stops being "fantasy" altogether. It's all the more jarring considering there are lots of fantasy worlds that don't adhere to the Standard Fantasy Setting, but because people just want to deal with the comforting and familiar, they aren't willing to take a chance on them, and even argue that it would be impossible. To which I would respond with two words: Planescape Torment.

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
I'm not necessarily sure that this classes as an 'issue', the fact is that many people enjoy reading about/playing as/watching elves similar to those that originated with Tolkein (or possibly before) and in worlds inspired by his and as long as people continue to enjoy these works then they should continue to be produced. Maybe the multitudes of fantasy worlds that have come from facsimiles of Tolkein's work are not art, but they class as entertainment which is there to be enjoyed. Such stories are selling, in relatively large quantities, so it's obvious that a number of people are still enjoying the fantasy 'archetype'.

Now if you bemoan the lack of 'art' in such creations then you are truly missing the point of their existence (although there may be many who claim that such works are art) and merely need to look towards other authors/producers/games designers that create more original worlds.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Truthfully, I think this article misses a lot of important details, like looking at why things are the way they are. Change for the sake of change is a bad thing usually, and there is little reason to try and "fix" what isn't broken when it appeals to a massive group of people and does so for a lot of reason. Don't misunderstand this as me saying that we shouldn't see anything new in Fantasy, but rather that I don't think Dwarves, Elves, and other things should be "left behind" simply for the sake of change. I will explain in a typical giga-rant format:

1: Perhaps the least important aspect of the issue, but one central to us as gamers is that of something called "Game Balance". One of the reasons why we see a Tolkien-like version of elves, dwarves, hobbits, and similar things throughout fantasy is that they are all on a very human-like level, and all have differant advantages and disadvantage. In the scope of an adventure game it's hard pressed to say one race is outright better than another, as they all have strengths and weaknesses. What's more, it's easy for a video game designer, author, or PnP RPG writer to develop challenges for such characters. The "standard" way of viewing these kinds of things from "Dungeons and Dragons" has endured so long, and inspired so much, is because it works, and works REALLY well. Most of the variations on the theme come from a D&D "subrace" logic where you wind up trading certain abillities for others to create more specialized characters and so on. Leading to like 20 differant subraces of elves which have slightly differant stat variations which depending on the game can involve anything from level penelties, strong class level limits, new powers, or trading one general racial abillity for another to represent a differant enviroment, or supplement a specific character class. It *DOES* get silly, and as far back as "Second Edition AD&D" (AD&D2) they released books with an optional modular system with buying racial abillities off of points and such rather than creating a subrace for everything, though subraces were more popular and you never saw that outside of specific supplements (Player's Option series if I remember).

The thing is that if one was to use more mythological versions of these races, it would be difficult to balance. Giving dwarves the abillities of the "Red" and "Black" dwarves of mythology, or elves a lot of the powers ascribed to the inspiring stories of the Sidhe and such would result in an absolute game balance nightmare if you made them playable. In general such characters are featured as antagonists in the stories they are from, rather than protaganists because they represent an epic challenge to be overcome, or a supporting element, not the focus of the tale.

2: Association is important. Let's be honest, people have been saying "let's toss out the traditional fantasy stuff" for decades. It's not a new or radical idea. The issue of course being "what do we replace it with?". The thing is that what you replace it with has to appeal to the everyman within the marketplace. People can associate with the elves, dwarves, hobbits, and similar things because the characters as presented in a traditional mould are very relatable.

Attempts to develop alternatives have generally lead to pretentious efforts by wanna be Tolkien scholors who releas fantasy novels that are half Glossary, and where there is an alternative word for everything that looks like someone smacked their head into a keyboard half a dozen times. Not to mention the fetish factor inherant in some of this, since it seems to me that a lot of people who create this stuff out of wholecloth invariably have some issues. One series I read (the name eludes me) had a flower on the cover, that turned out to be (when you read it) an alien sex organ, that the author was trying to sell as the ultimate experience. I kid you not.

Of course some attempts have been better than others. This article very much reminds me of the "No Elves" advertising for "Talislantia" which was around for decades. The game was a fantasy world where the selling point was specifically a lack of traditional fantasy races and most of the trappings. It was born of exactly these kinds of attitudes, and truthfully as far as small press games have gone it did fairly well, dying a number of times, only to be resurrected, and then die again. I have no idea what is left the the liscence nowadays. It was really awesome, on a lot of levels, and demonstrates EXACTLY what your talking about, but due to so few people being able to associate with it and a lot of the characters and concepts, it pretty much died out. It has had decent amounts of exposure and advertising within gaming circles as well (ads in things like Dragon Magazine).

It's also important to note that traditional fantasy has an international following. People all through the world know elves, dwarves, knights, dragons, etc... It's one of the big things that demonstrates the influance of global culture. You see it influancing the creative works of places in Asia like Korea and Japan, because like it or not, it inspires a lot of creativity.

You can produce a general sword and sorcery work with a few unique spins of gimmicks and find a global audience if your good. Produce something totally obtuse, and you might get a fan following, but since it's not liable to appeal to nearly everyone, it's just not going to take.

In making such arguments people tend to look very much at the US market and culture, and fail to realize what we think is quaint at times has influanced the rest of the world. Japan for example probably produces more western-style sword and sorcery in their comics, video games, anime, and similar things than they do stuff based on their own culture and history. They absolutly eat it up. Korea isn't quite the same, but it can come close.

Just because your bored with something does not mean the rest of society is, as new fans are coming in every day. Sure there is always going to be a jaded group crying for things like "Talislantia" (which I sort of wish took off more, I don't even have the books anymore either sadly... flood damage) but they are liable to remain a tiny minority overall even when it comes to high quality productions.

3. Finally there is the issue of (dum, dum, de, dum) political correctness, and how stupid we in the US are, which influances the media in general since like it or not we are currently the global trendsetters.

Simply put, the mythologies that have been drawn from and modified for a lot of the current "standard" conventions are all ones from hightly advanced, civilized nations. We don't take things like Greek, Celtic, and Norse mythology, Witches, and the like all that seriously. Heck, despite being the dominant religion of the civilized world, we're even willing to seriously bust on Christianity, and by and large our religious community is enlightened enough to take it without major incidents.

The thing is that once you start going outside of these permissible sources, you start irritating people. You have to walk on eggshells when dealing with Hinduism for example because tons of people practice it, and unlike the Christians they don't generally take a position of tolerance in regards of how their beliefs are used. It's generally okay to do stories like "Spawn" with wars between heaven and hell, teenagers killing the Christian god, how Jesus was a malevolent space alien, or games where a sexed up witch shoots down the hosts of heaven for morally ambigious reasons. Most Christians can look at that and say "it's just fantasy" or even see some legitimate points, because while stylized a lot of the same questions raised there are ones that religious folks have wondered themselves, albiet not in quite so irreverant a way. There are books written about such musing. A lot of other countries temper their freedom of speech with "except about the dominant religion".

Start doing irreverant fantasy about Hindus, Muslims (can't even draw pictures of Mohammad!), or whatever else and not only will there be complaints, but dual standards will cause protests to shut the people doing it down right quick. As a result there are a lot of mythologies that could inspire more fantasy, but will never be used. It's highly unlikely that you will ever see a work about how some Arab in The Middle East thinks Allah is responsible for the condition of the people in that part of the world, loads up with a bunch of guns and occult power, and heads off to kill him for the greater good... or at least not in the forseeable future. Make that Christian and that's pretty much a par for the course plotline nowadays. Make it based on norse mythology, greek mythology, or something similar and that's been going on for a long time. For video games we've seen things like "God Of War" and for books we've seen things like Linda Evans' "Sleipnir" (where a commando packs up some guns and heads off to shoot Odin to avenge his buddy... like a 'B' action movie but with norse gods in it's set up).

Then of course you have the whole issue of "Indiginous Peoples" which is to say comparitively primitive peoples who for whatever reason never developed and wound up being conquered. Such mythologies can be used, but only in very specific, politically correct ways. This of course fuels stereotypes, and prevents the exploration of a lot of concepts. If say you were to take Native American or Aboriginal culture and do something other than the "wise and benevolent shaman" or have someone shoot a traditional monster, or some kind of "guilt horror" piece about dead indians killing people to avenge wrongs on cursed burial land or whatever, your going to slot people off.

If say someone was to write a story in the vein of some of the "Witch Hunt" fiction portrays inquisitors as misunderstood good guys since the witches were real, and using dangerous magic to try and kill and enslave everyone, where say the Colonists and settlers ran into real magic using Native Americans, and they were all evil like some of the nastiest rumors, turning the "Indian Wars" into a heroic crusade against occult evil... it would be differant from other things written, but if it came to public attention you'd have people utterly freaking out and screaming about racism and bigotry. I mean despite having The Pope as the bad guy in the Assasin's Creed games and so on, it doesn't count then. :p

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
As astonished and somewhat overjoyed to see someone besides myself bringing up the Gothic games (even if only by way of allusions that only make sense if you've played them), it does seem a trifle odd to see someone mention that series in an article with such an elf-centric slant to it, especially when you mention it right after Morrowind, what with the distinct lack of any elves in Myrtana. Not that I'm complaining though!

I do however feel obligated to point out that H.P. Lovecraft's stories [http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/] that weren't about monsters, while possibly surprising to someone who wasn't aware that he also wrote stuff about mystical dream realms and cats, are also his worst stories - he may not have only written about creepy things but that was truly his forte. His non-horror material tends to ramble on without ever actually having a point that the reader will care about, because of the extreme concentration of made-up (and pretty darn silly sounding usually) words and places presented in those stories without any real attempt at world-building (and given Lovecraft's chosen medium of the short story, there's only so much of that he could do anyways). Contrast stellar fare like The Colour Out of Space [http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thecolouroutofspace.htm] with say... The Quest of Iranon [http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/thequestofiranon.htm], and it's easy to see why his horror material is better - it's grounded in reality. Turn of the century New England is after all a place that actually existed, so Lovecraft could spend the time and effort it would have taken to produce audience "buy in" for that setting and put it to better use creeping us the hell out, rather than just spouting off a string of made-up and ultimately meaningless words (that sound kind of silly) left and right like he does in his more 'fantastical' short stories; the result is that his horror shorts have far more compelling narratives and characters.

Which is why I generally advise readers who are new to Lovecraft to pick a different story if they happen upon one that doesn't appear to be set somewhere in New England, because it isn't going to be very good.

cythereal

Apr 30, 2010
I disagree pretty strongly with this article. As has been mentioned, change for the sake of change is not really a good thing. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's bad. As much as fantasy has become standard, it's still fantasy, it's still not real. And if you want to mix it up there's a design space issue. There's only so much you can do with a humanoid form, and the reason these archetypes are so old is because they work and they resonate. The magic the gathering website has countless excellent articles about developing an effective fantasy world, they do it every year! The idea of good fantasy, in my opinion, isn't creating a bunch of fancy new names for everything, cause chances are all your ideas and creatures already have a name. It's creating exciting or interesting stories and characters with those foundations.

And I have to agree with Gildan. While I enjoy some of Lovecraft's non-horror stories to some degree, most of it was just aping Dunsany, who I've tried to read and found dreadfully boring and pointless. Fantasy has come a long way, and there's still lots of great stories to be told of elves and dwarves.

Lord_Kristof

Sep 24, 2010
Well done, Sir! You have just put my thoughts in an article, so great that you have the talent of mind-reading, I assume you use it well and enjoy it! :)

One thing I have to say though, the author may have gone that one inch too far. I see nothing wrong in inspiring yourself with something. I believe we have reached a moment in our condition that there's not that much left to invent. The Elves are inspired by the Fairies, as Dwarves are inspired by the Dockalfar of Scandinavic mythology. I don't have anything against Tolkien, because he took the concept and reimagined it in such a way, that it has become an altogether different thing. And that's what I think we all should aspire to.

In the end, all we 'create' we get by putting together pieces of a puzzle. The bug in which you move around in Morrowind is exactly that - an idea stemming from combining the idea of a big bug with the idea of transport. Nothing wrong about it, because it hasn't been done is this particular way before. Now, I agree with the author when he says that Elves and Dwarves are the worst offenders here (I don't think his mentioning of Conan in this respect is a good idea, because he's more of a 'character concept' than a 'character'. Well, Conan is a character, but the idea of a great barbarian is a concept), and just taking another name for the same race or creature (like pretending that an ugly race of savages is anything other than orcs) doesn't cut it. Fantasy needs new ideas, and needs them badly.

Apart from Gothic, which had an interesting, if not very complex, setting, I can think of only a handful of fantasy games where you DON'T play Elves and Dwarves and DON'T fight against orcs. The Kohan series come to mind, though that's stretching it a bit, because the races there are quite similar to the 'standard set', but have other names and some quirks which make them somewhat different. I can think of Earthdawn, the RPG, but most of you probably haven't heard about it - there the 'standard' races are reimagined so that they end up being something else. I can think of The Witcher, where Elves are present, but the idea of what they are is warped in a way which assures originality (that's based off a book, by the way). It's more easy, however, to find original novels or pencil and paper RPG's, than video games. Game designer seem to be comfortable with giving people what they are familiar with, at the cost of throwing progress of the genre out the window.

I could go on and on about this, this is one of my strong interests and I used to write about these issues extensively, but most of you probably already went tl;dnr on me, so I'll be finishing now...

Bors Mistral

Mar 27, 2009
Excellent article.

But what about Elves in non-fantasy settings? Wouldn't it be interesting to expand on that? You wrote how the Elves are sad people, yet not mention of their most melancholic and gloomy cousins, the Eldar...

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I actually enjoy stories set in different mythologies, like Thomas Harlan's"Wasteland of Flint" and "House of Reeds" (there is another volume called "Land of the Dead") based around Aztec myths. And it's Science Fiction, not Fantasy. Going to "Different Races" you have the Fantasy Series known as the Chronicles of Elantra, populated by the somewhat elf-like Barrrani, but also the Hawk-like Aerians and Feline Leontines, and the Telepathic Tha'alani (who have antenna-like structures sprouting from their heads) as well as humans.

Though, I'd say what disappoints me more is when these races just turn out to be "funny humans". Beings who can live 500 or 2000 years are not going to have the same outlook, or even the same kinds of society as humans. When Elves are "humans with funny ears" and Dwarves are "Short humans with beards", everyone loses out, and so does the story you are creating with those characters. Dark Sun changed its characters up in a new way- Humans could now cross-breed with dwarves, creating a hybrid race called the Mul. Elves were desert nomads who specialized in running, and halflings were forest-dwelling cannibals with sharpened spike teeth, and the Thri'keen (an insectoid race that resembled Preying Mantises) were also playable. It was refreshing and new, but I don't recall many people liking it or playing it.

I don't like that changing the race of the character you play in a game has no change on the game's outlook for your character. The only example I can think that comes close is playing a hobbit in LOTRO, where the early Hobbit area quests reflect the Hobbit outlook on life and what is important to them as a people. Instead of lots of "Kill me six spiders", it's "deliver this sack of mail" or "Deliver these pies for me". Why shouldn't starting elf quests reflect the outlook of the elves as a people, or the same for the dwarves or whatnot instead of being a bog-standard "Kill me six boars", the same as the humans are doing?

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
This article reminds of one the reasons I love the world Ragnar Tornquist created for The Longest Journey / Dreamfall. Not only did he successfully marry science fiction with fantasy (actual mixture, not that persistent misnomer that keeps putting ghosts, werewolves and vampires on the same shelf as time travel and distopian futures) but he also created this fantasy setting that's full of new creatures, places and situations that are vaguely in that medieval setting (though it seems to be going into renaissance by Dreamfall) making them feel familiar and new at the same time.There's not an elf/dwarf/fairy/orc/satir in sight and the dragons that do come up are VERY different from your garden variety Smaug.I don't really know if it's completely original but I sure as hell have not seen it in any other work I've bumped into. My point is originality is not that difficult but the writer must feel comfortable leaving behind established archetypes and vistas and that's were most people fail. The same economic interest cancer that turns most FPS into Space Marine/WW2 plagues fantasy settings. This same issue has an article concerning Grim Fandango. If that's not using new inspiration sources for a fantastical setting then I don't know what is. Tim Schafer is just a master at that even if gameplay wise sometimes things go wonky.

lanoger

Mar 7, 2009
I'd like to add to what Petromir, jez29 and others have said, the problem isn't so much the borrowing of the elf/orc/dwarf/whatever structure because the writers can take those structures and breathe life into them. The problem is when the writers don't and we end up with a flat, dead trope that bores ...everybody, really.

There are a number of good reasons for borrowing the elf-type, because people who play these sorts of games know (vaguely) what they are. People sitting at the character creation screen don't read "There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Iluvatar; and he made the first Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his first thought, and they were with him before aught else was made." They read "There was Eru, the One, who blah blah blah, +5 ranged damage." Thats a problem with us, of course, because we're a bunch of plebs that don't appreciate good art, but people hit some made-up-nouns per paragraph threshold and stop paying attention. Writers know this.

On the other side, we have (TV show, I know, shut up) Babylon 5 with its rich and complex world-building and storyline, with its elves-in-all-but-name, great war between the darkness and the light, the completely accurate prophecies. By the time they got to the Rangers, the writers weren't even trying any more.

It's a balance, I guess.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
What an unfair comparison. The mythologies you mention were created over hundreds of years, resulting in the combination of several oral stories, with perhaps a handful of genial, annonymous storytellers in the middle of them who stiched together different tales to create a world coherent with both reality and its flights of fancy. And of course they actually believed their tales, an unfair advantadge we'd be hard-pressed to reproduce.

It's be like complaining that a writer didn't create any works that matched the importance of the Bible.

Sometimes these repetitions are for a greater cause. Will you say Dwarf Fortress is a bad game? (Not to my face you won't.) It has stereotypes, but uses them to deliver a new take on them - a new take you enjoy exactly because it is a revisit of that old world. Likewise, the greatest infringer on Tolkien is D&D - and when it was created the idea of being able to actually control the heroes in such a setting was novel enough to earn a pass.

There are plenty of stories that create brand new worlds. But to work with a well-known world allows the narrator to focus on other things, things he could not focus on if he had to explain every little detail of his new world.

After all, doesn't the great majority of works of fiction take place in this same old boring world we refer to as 'real'?

A_who

Sep 17, 2010
You know now that I think of it why doesn't this happen with the Science fiction genre. I mean they all have humans and robots for the most part but really nothing else that really common.

Nesrie

Dec 7, 2009
I like elves as they are. I don't really feel a need to change them. If some designer wants to create a new race, go ahead. Just don't call some bizzare new race an elf.

SulfuricDonut

Feb 25, 2009
Assuming we leave the elves in Middle Earth, then what? What are new storytellers going to replace them with?

The elves represent a stereotype as the article described, and that's a good thing in my opinion. Writers can go ahead and create an entirely new race but then they have to spend the majority of their time in describing it in full detail and creating a believable world for them, which takes not only a long time to explain but a long time for readers to understand as well. And if they do this, then chances are people will just reject the new concepts anyway since they still won't be as good as the old Tolkien ones.
If a character is an elf, then we already know the history of the race and the game can concentrate on the character themselves rather than explaining the history of all the others first and then bluntly stating why this particular character is different.

And besides, what else are writers going to create? Chances are no matter what you come up with it will end up being a similar personality stereotype and all that will end up changing is the name or appearance of the races.
If you want new races in every story then look at Avatar. They have blue skin, pointy ears, and are 10 feet tall; characteristics not found in Forgotten Realms. But look deeper at them and they are still the exact same stereotype as elves, because it works for the story.

If a new game came out with one of the races being short and stout like a dwarf, but nature loving and wise like an elf, then people would reject it anyway because it isn't what we've come to expect out of fantasy settings.

Old Tolkien stereotypes are firmly ingrained into our minds in ways that are very difficult for writers to break if they expect their games to be successful, because if they change too much then people will become either uncomfortable playing it or just frustrated or bored of trying to comprehend the new world. As such, games need to proceed like Dragon Age did by stretching the racial stereotypes quite a bit while retaining the basics of them (i.e. The dwarfs still live underground, but uniquely had a unstable political system and a caste based society)

I suppose I am half-agreeing with this article, as games do lack creativity once they involve standard fantasy characters. However most of my favorite games and books are in these settings and do a phenomenal job of storytelling. I think that the Forgotten Realms "standard fantasy setting" is just such a vast and perfect world that it's difficult to get tired of it.

EDIT: Also, I think that lacking creativity in making new settings is fine as long as it makes up for it by having an inspiring story that successfully uses the stereotypes. I didn't like the races in Oblivion because they were all treated the same way, and the lose their storytelling value because of it.