287: Second-Hand Elf

Disthron

Aug 19, 2009
Um... you know, when twilight came out it seemed that besides the general poor quality of the story the ?vampires? were not vampires. If the Resident Evil games called the Los Palgos Elves wouldn't people have a similar reaction.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
You made some good points, but ultimately you discarded most of them. Some of them that would have actually helped the article. The Elder Scrolls High, Dark, Wood thing was presented not briefly, but shallowly. Elder Scrolls is highly original with its elves. The dwarves are elves, the orcs are elves, heck even the Bretons are technically what happens with half elves.

Also, Dragon Age would have helped this article because their elves are about displacement you could have use that as a better meta example, or at least a decent thematic one.

Arashi500

Sep 19, 2009
I have no problem with the inclusion of elves, orcs, and dwarves and all that, but I think if you're going to do that, at the very least put a spin on it, or add a substantial amount of original creations to place with them and balance out what you already know will work with something new. It doesn't even need to be anything terribly thought out, like making golums or gem people a standard sentient race rather than an occasional monster.

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
maturin said:
And the Dunmer are the most vividly and completely realized culture in a videogame, rivaling the best novels of the fantasy genre in the depth of their religion, psyche and aesthetics.
I can't agree more. The detail that went into crafting not only Vvardenfell but its people, their thoughts and beliefs still amazes me to this day. Playing through Morrowind and visiting its lands and people is like experiencing life in a long lost civilization firsthand.

AssOnFire

Aug 19, 2009
Maybe I'm an ignoramus, but when I get a fantasy-setting without the "standard" human/elf/dwarf dynamic I get really turned off. Like the Argonians and Khajiit in TES? Yeah, they're kinda there, but I'd not shed a single tear if they weren't. It always seems to me like: "Yeah, we GOTTA do something original. Uhm, we have elves and dwarves. Let's, I dunno, make some cat and lizard people, I guess? Yeah!"

It's like making a sci-fi movie without lasers. Would you wanna see a movie were instead of lasers they had guns that shoot corrosive alien snot? Wouldn't that be totally original? But wouldn't it also be LAME? I want my lasers back.

In my opinion, it's better to be original within the established bounds, not go totally overboard. Like what was already mentioned, how TES made the dwarves an underground offshoot of the elves? That's brilliant. Now, if instead the Dwemer had been a race of underground mole scientists ... not so much.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

beavinator

Sep 3, 2012
I may get laughed out of here for posting this, but I'm kind of surprised that in this entire extensive thread, nobody has mentioned Zelda. Gorons, Zoras, Kokiri, Dekus, Sheikah, Rito, Picori, Kikwis, Twili...the list goes on, and they are all fairly original creations with few if any analogs in other works. Clearly it is possible to create entirely new races with unique traits which have little or no basis in Tolkien-esque "standards". Granted the Zelda series is known more for exploration and puzzle-solving than well fleshed out characters or dialogue, but those elements are still there to a degree, and I felt it worth mentioning.

GoGoFrenzy

Mar 13, 2012
I can't even read the article because the right hand margin is cut off. I thought it was all the script being blocked by my Firefox but I just opened it with IE and Chrome and right margin is still cut off. Anybody have a link to a printable view?

GoGoFrenzy

Mar 13, 2012
Anybody? I know I'm not the only one not being able to see all the text. Just sent the link to a friend and she couldn't read the right margin well either.