PS3 Enters the Third Dimension

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
PS3 Enters the Third Dimension

A software update due sometime next year will add 3D functionality to a number of PS3 games.

Remember back in the day when ex-PlayStation head honcho Ken Kutaragi confirmed rumors [http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696060p1.html] from a couple days ago and revealed some new tech at a trade show recently - a 3D mode for existing PS3 games that, you guessed it, lets you play them in 3D.

Wipeout HD was on display with the 3D rigged up, and Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/04/ps3s-new-3d-mode-captured-on-video-coming-in-2010-to-all-exist/] seemed to be particularly enamored with it. I can see 3D working great for quite a few games - God of War 3 in 3D? That'd be particularly gnarly.

The technology will come as part of a firmware update due next year. Which means you get the functionality for free, provided you've got a 200+ Hz TV (any will do apparently, not just a Sony set) and a pair of stereoscopic glasses lying around. And I know you stole those from the movie theater after seeing Up in 3D. Don't try to fool me, thief.

Which games the 3D will support remains something of a question. Engadget reported that all PS3 games would support the technology, which seemed a bit far fetched to me. Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/04/sony-no-plan-to-launch-3-d-support-for-all-ps3-games/]'s now got the word from Sony that the company is "conducting a technological investigation" on whether it's possible to get every PS3 game in 3D. The company also remarked that "there is no plan for the market launch of this at this time," so maybe don't count on this hitting in early 2010.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
If this is done right, that will be the end of the console war, and possibly the generation.

If it's done wrong...well, look what happened with the Wii.

And I actually stole my glasses from a showing of Chicken Little way back when.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Oh, yeah, God of War in 3D... More like - God of War - Headacke in 3 Minutes.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Because we just sold 'em HDTVs and now need to make them replace 'em again, eh?

HT_Black said:
If this is done right, that will be the end of the console war, and possibly the generation.

If it's done wrong...well, look what happened with the Wii.
What? You mean if they screw up they'll become insanely successful and profitable? I really doubt that, 3D doesn't seem like something that'll have much impact in the market because it's really just there for the novelty factor, it doesn't really make things better. A full 3D projection like the holodeck, sure, that could work because it lets you change your point of view easily but just the same image with some added eyestrain? No way.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
SKATE2 had a 3D mode but it was only Anaglyphic rather than Polarisation.
How many people are going to have a 2000Hz TV and why does it need to be that high since 3D displays 2 images are they suggesting that each game is going to run 2000FPS (1000 for each eye)
Otherwise this is a worse than NVIDIA's Steroscopic technology since it works with any PC game and only requires a 120Hz Display.
Also this was already a news story on this site

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
HT_Black said:
Errr... no.

While it's neat, there are several factors to take note of. Namely, the need for a new TV, and you also have to wear the glasses. I can't see without wearing my OWN glasses, so I wouldn't be able to do this even if I tried. And even if I could take off my glasses, there's still the matter of the new TV I'd have to get, which costs more money than the console itself.

So while it's cool to have 3D functionality, I don't think that it's going to be a significant boost to PS3 sales. Besides, the console makers rip each other off shamelessly, so we'll see 3D Wii and 360 games being produced shortly.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Onmi said:
jamesworkshop said:
SKATE2 had a 3D mode but it was only Anaglyphic rather than Polarisation.
How many people are going to have a 2000Hz TV and why does it need to be that high since 3D displays 2 images are they suggesting that each game is going to run 2000FPS (1000 for each eye)
Otherwise this is a worse than NVIDIA's Steroscopic technology since it works with any PC game and only requires a 120Hz Display.
Also this was already a news story on this site
Not the other news story was a rumor, this is fact.

If they get this working properly my hats off to sony, if not, well... fuck off.
Considering the RSX was made by Nvidia and they have there own steroscopic technology it would not surprise me to find out that Nvidia is helping them with this.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Gunpei Yokoi faked his death and switched sides?

Virtual Boy was only a setback?

The man was great, R.I.P. Gunpei Yokoi-san.

Ghost8585

Jul 21, 2009
Wait. This may sound dumb but what exactly will this do to the colors? I won't have watch everything in a red/blue color stain will I? And what happens if you break or lose the glasses? Your pretty much fucked.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
"If he wanted the PS3 to output games in four-dimensions, well, at least we're making some progress here."

Time is a dimension so games are already 3D and this will bring us up to 4D. Now we wait for 5D TV; that's the tough one.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
I stole my 3D glasses from Spy Kids 3 thank you very much.

This seems pretty cool but I'm not sure if it will work.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This seems a bit too gimmicky for me. I don't particularly enjoy movies in 3D and don't believe I will enjoy playing games in those ridiculous glasses any better. I will especially dislike it when the first batch of 3D-only games come out. But I'll give it a shot nonetheless.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
If it works it could be really interesting. They should really put some effort in this though, and avoid a 'gimmick' status with the tech.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
A 2000+ Hz TV? That won't piss off everyone with the latest and most expensive 100 - 400 HZ TV's you can get now.