292: The Husband & Wife Videogame Super Team

kaoskongo

Oct 29, 2009
Great read, and something which totally happened to me during my playtime in Portal as well. I'd get the first few (tutorial) stages down to a pat, but when it came to the more cerebral puzzles midway, the frustration of not having enemies to shoot at in first person mode combined with having to think made me want to toss the game and pc through the window if it wasn't for the wife who had been nonchalantly observing from the cityroom. A few pointers and observations and behold! The stage was completed! Next thing you know, she was the co-pilot to my portal-isque endeavors :)

Needless to say, I am most definitely getting Portal 2. For the both of us :)

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
This is an incredibly cute article, and a great alternative to the standard "How's the face-shooting going, honey?" school of marital relations and video games.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I don't play games like this but playing co op games with my other half really adds to a game. Sadly at the moment the only console we can do this on is the DS and there don't seem to be a wealth of co op title on it.

Katbot

Jun 8, 2010
Great article!

I know what it's like, my lovely bf and I play MW2 co-op - sneaking, sniping, blowing up choppers ......together. :) Flowers? Chocolates? You don't know romance til you've been on the brink of death, only to have your partner appear to save your ass at the last second. "I got your back, honey!" Now that's LOVE. :D Except for when he accidentally shoots me, it's an awesome feeling.

Marriage, eat your heart out! Bonding through mutual fragging is clearly the way to go.

beldeti

Apr 2, 2010
Great article! I know my wife appreciates video games but she doesn't want to try them as she knows from past experience how addictive they can get. She loves her other hobby more (sleeping). Our daughter plays games as well and becomes my wingman (girl) when I play single-player games.

I used to be my best friend's wingman as well, helping her play Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on to Final Fantasy VII.

Am getting more multiplayer games on a loaned Wii so that my wife and daughter can play with me as a family bonding experience.

And yeah, congrats on the new member of the family!

eightbitsprite

Oct 4, 2010
It was kinda fun reading this article- while I managed to get through most of Portal by myself, my siblings watched me for the final part-and it was pretty fun. Especially when I accidentally fell into the pit with the last core. :p

But seriously, this was really heartwarming to read. I'm guessing the same's going to happen for Portal 2. :D

chuckwendig

Jun 29, 2010
Thanks, folks!

We are, of course, chomping at the bit for PORTAL 2.

The baby's just going to have to deal with it. :)

-- Chuck

The Random One

May 29, 2008
What a strange way to see things, so different from my own.

Not only because to me the thinking part is half the game. Mostly because the original state is so completely alien to me. I love it when people watch me play. My mom has given me great advice back in the N64 days (now, my gaming abode is sadly too recluse for that). And I remember one day when I mentioned one such occasion to a friend, and he mentioned that his dad, who didn't play, had managed to get past a ridiculously difficult section of Winback[footnote]Full name Winback 64, a competent tactical third person military shoter for the N64 (duh). It never got even a cult following, which is why people nowadays think Gears of War does third person shooting well.[/footnote] full of one-hit-kill moving lasers on his first try. And of course I enjoyed showing off Eternal Darkness[footnote]The reason why horror game fans hate Too Human even more.[/footnote] to a friend. Well, he could play it himself, but ED's gameplay was its worse feature and he was having trouble with it, why not give him a hand?

eharriett

Jan 22, 2011
This is almost us ... exactly us. We haven't tried Super Mario Galaxy, but now we will have to get it.

Only two you didn't mention that we enjoy experiencing together: Mass Effect 1&2 and Uncharted 1&2. Aside from that, I can't believe how similar this article is to my wife and I.

fangclaw

Mar 3, 2010
a heart-warming tale, and congrats on the kid. if duct tape doesn't work try super glue.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I envy you Chuck I really do...If I kill you do I become you? I rembered doing this with an old childhood friend. It was really fun.

And congratulation to becoming a father!

EmeraldGreen

Professional Lurker
Mar 19, 2009
I haven't done this kind of cooperative play for years, but it reminds me of when I was a kid, and the whole family was obsessed with Lode Runner. We kids had the reflexes - more or less - but we weren't so good at the puzzles. Fortunately Mum was very good at figuring out just how to drill down to that one piece of gold, or how to navigate a level without getting trapped. Dad liked to give us advice too, but we found that pretty annoying because he never stopped giving us advice...

Mind you, although Mum will tell you she's terrible at video games, she isn't just the brainy puzzle-solver of the family. She is still the only person in the family to complete Diamonds, an obscure Atari 8-bit game similar to Dig Dug. None of us kids ever came close to finishing that game.

I miss gaming as a family. It made a comeback of sorts when I bought my sisters a Wii - especially playing Boom Blox Bash Party. ("Hey, maybe if you hit that block there from the right angle, it'll topple onto that other block there, and then...") It's not the same, though. Mum refuses to touch the Wii on the grounds that she doesn't need to waste any more of her time, and I no longer live at home and rarely get a chance to play with the rest of the family.

Gerhardt

May 21, 2010
I'm so glad to see this kind of his-and-hers co-op. My wife and I have been doing this for close on ten years now, our Marvel to your DC, as it were.
While we certainly did share some team-single player moments, such as working through the puzzles and mind-twisting madness of Eternal Darkness, our greatest moments were always pure co-op mode. Baulder's Gate, Gauntlet, Final Fantasy XI...

And Smash Bros.

Yes, the Smash. With a Link and Zelda pairing, no less, to demoralize our opponents with unrelenting cuteness. A marriage of sword and magic, our devastating Nintendo-nuptials.

These days were content playing World of Warcraft together - always having a tank and healer that know the ropes makes the newest expansion a blast.

So cheers to you all who rock the consoles with your significant other. Remember, your wife shouldn't just be your best friend, but can also be quite handy with a sniper rifle.

talkstogod

Nov 24, 2009
Sadly my wife gets no enjoyment from video games. She lets me play them far more than I should, though, and feeds and waters me while I do, so it's fine.

My daughter, on the other hand, is a BLAST to play with and my son will get there soon...

Actually, one of the funniest things I've ever seen was the two of them playing Ilomilo the same way as you & and your wife game - except she's 6 and he's 3. :D

Michael Mifsud

Mar 13, 2010
My wife originally had no interest in video games but over the years of dating then marriage she got into them - it started with, of all things, Command and Conquer and then Red Alert. But it was crystalised by Everquest. More recently we do more of this combo console gaming you describe. I do the jumping about she does the puzzles. She is just good at puzzles compared to me.

Years ago when I asked her why she even gave games a try in the first place it was because A) it was clearly a big part of my life so she wanted to try them out and B) I was passionate about them and spent time (inadvertently) explaining things to her which, she said, eventually sucked her into video gaming. I know all those hours spent playing EQ, Diablo, Diablo 2, Baldurs Gate various MMOs has made us a better team in non-gaming realms as well. I become the instant envy of friends and acquittance alike.

That was back in 98 so been gaming together for more than a decade and co-op games are top of my list so I can play with my wife.

Jumwa: When she's not around to game with, I usually end up closing out of my games and reading instead, because they no longer hold a candle to the experience I get with her.

Exactly. If my wife cant play I don't play and vice a versa. In my long experience the progression of co-op goes like this me+wife >>> friends >> random multiplayer <=> solo. My kids are still too young for me to decide where they fit into that spectrum though I thoroughly enjoy playing the simple games they can handle at this point and look forward to the 5 man dungeons of the future MMOs.

Katbot: When she's not around to game with, I usually end up closing out of my games and reading instead, because they no longer hold a candle to the experience I get with her.

So true! I cant count the times where I'll be playing the tank type in a raid/group or equivalent and my wife is the healer and she saves my ass and vice a versa. Its very satisfying. Marriage just intensifies that experience.

:)

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Nice article. It was nice to see a sort of human interest story as a change of pace. But even better are the stories it has evoked in the replies. You are really bringing in some lovely nostlagia, as well as shedding a light on a different kind of playing. Kudos.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
This article made me grin from ear to ear and nod in agreement as I'm lucky enough to have a girl who plays games just as much as I do.

She plays Fable, and Dragon Age, etc, as LoTR is her favorite thing under the sun, but her favorite game is, and I'm not kidding, is Black Ops, a game I can not stand. She loves playing multiplayer, but her fondest times are when she coaxes me into some time in Nazi Zombies. Now, I'm better in multiplayer, but she is a master at zombies, and she gets a kick out of ordering me around when the Undead 3rd Reich comes to play.

...Which is okay, because I'm into S&M. xD

EDIT: MMO's are also a staple of her game diet. She plays BOTH Guild Wars and Warhammer: Age of Reckoning.

I'm just now getting her into tabletop stuff, which she's enjoying immensely, if the way she roleplays is any indication.