Pimp My PS3 Slim

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Pimp My PS3 Slim

Already bored of looking at your generic black PS3 Slim? Colorware can help.

The PS3 Slim might be proving ultra-popular, but its painfully generic black finish does little to excite the senses and offers no avenue for the Sony faithful to express themselves.

This is where Colorware comes in, allowing PS3 Slim owners - or at least ones that live in the US - to customize their console for the measly sum of $150 or to buy one directly for $450.

Now, third party modifications aren't anything new, but it's quite the modification that costs the same as two and a half new games, especially when it's purely cosmetic. But if you have some spare cash and fancy a pink and lime green PS3 Slim, check out Colorware's site here [http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-187-ps3-slim.aspx].

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5357838/dont-like-black-get-your-ps3-slim-in-other-colours]

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
A deep purple one would be awesome.

But not worth the money when the black actually looks great

PS3 is definatly the prettiest console of this generation.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
150 Bucks for a paintjob? No thanks, I actually prefer my totally black PS3 Slim. All my technology (except the 360, which is dirty-white from age, it's like a stain in my room) is black with the occasional silver accent and the PS3 fits perfectly in that pattern.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
coxafloppin said:
A deep purple one would be awesome.

But not worth the money when the black actually looks great

PS3 is definatly the prettiest console of this generation.
With Ian Gillan dressed as Jesus right on the side of it.

Actually this sounds pretty cool, but I've already got the hulking behemoth that is the original so I won't be doing this I guess...unless mine kicks the bucket in a spectacular way

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Who would pay that much money for a colored console? Mine sits on a shelf below my sight line, as long it plays games, and doesn't break (I only have a 360), I'm happy.

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
IdealistCommi said:
For $150 I'd rather get some new games. I don't even look at my PS3 when I don't need to.
Yeah, this.

Unless it comes in metallic silver or chrome. I'd so buy that.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Nothing looks good in orange.
Oh really? Bulldozers. Excavators. Cranes. Gordon Freeman's suit. The city of Mirror's Edge. Forests in autumn. Must i go on?

On topic,it's too pricey,but idea is good.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
The yellow interests me, and I've wanted to make my macbook green for a while now but the prices are just crazy :O.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Sorry, but no. The problem isn't with the color of it, but the material. It looks like plastic.

It is nothing compared to the badass metallic chrome surface of the ordinary PS3s.

EDIT: Also, you can just take it apart and use spray paint on the case. It's significantly cheaper.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
well, I have to admit, the customisable colours is quite impressive (since previous PS3 patterns and whatnot only had specific plates to attatch onto the console), but I'd like it to have more colours, and possibly some patterns, too. Also, its way way WAY too expensive.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I'll wait till they add a cylon chrome option with a pulsing red eye.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
So what kind of twisted business sense must you have to go:

-Hmm... What service/good should I offer, in this time of economic difficulties where the majority of prospective PS3 buyers had been clamoring for a price drop for months?
...OH! I know! A choice of colors (and only colors) for 50% of the entire console's price!
I'm sure a decent portion of the price tag goes to the licensing fee Colorware has to pay Sony for use of their name. Not just anyone can slap a PS3 logo on their stuff and sell it. That's copyright infringment.

koga88

May 19, 2009
I suppose this is for people who really want to be individualistic with their ps3s? Other than that I'm pretty sure that you could give yourself a decent paint job for less than 10% of that price. Either way, I can still see people taking them up with this offer.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
It's only for Americans, and I don't expect they'll be branching out any time soon. I'll stick to black, and keeping my AU$200.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
Looks nice, but I could do it myself for much cheaper. Also would rather wait until the waranty has expired before I void it just for a different colour.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
paypuh said:
Mr.Tea said:
So what kind of twisted business sense must you have to go:

-Hmm... What service/good should I offer, in this time of economic difficulties where the majority of prospective PS3 buyers had been clamoring for a price drop for months?
...OH! I know! A choice of colors (and only colors) for 50% of the entire console's price!
I'm sure a decent portion of the price tag goes to the licensing fee Colorware has to pay Sony for use of their name. Not just anyone can slap a PS3 logo on their stuff and sell it. That's copyright infringment.
My question still stands; As some executive trying to sell a product, knowing it's going to cost your customers half-a-PS3 just to change the color, how can you still think it's a good idea?
Delusions and insanity? And the fact that the average consumer is dumb as hell? That's my guess.