299: The Bolshevik in the Borderlands

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Azaraxzealot said:
inFamous is still more fun than games like

Your Grandmother Is Depressing or Pointless Anxiety 2: The Return of the Big Sad
this is something the AAA ALMOST ALWAYS gets right

and if a game fails to be fun then it has failed to be a game.

seems that a lot of articles this week are basically provoking the escapist community at large what with the "You Wish You Were Casual" article and this article
This is provoking in what sense...? He made the joke 'Pointless Anxiety 2: The Return of the Big Sad' at the expense of the 'pretentious' indie developers (like himself), and then went forward to praise the level designing, environmental story-telling and fun combat of a AAA title. He's even championing the 'fun' part by saying that art and fun aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Talk about something going 'whoosh' over your head... -_-
no, i get it. fun and art don't have to be exclusive. but most pretentious indie fans don't see this.

i keep trying to get "fun can be an art form in and of itself" pushed into people's heads, but people seem to want to argue that

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
My problem with Borderlands wasn't that it had a story. My problem was that they had a story that was trite and poorly executed alongside some of the worst hit-detection and mechanics I've seen in a long time. If you're going to have a story that forces me to listen to some random woman chirping in my ear all the time, then at least have the decency to make it good. Otherwise build your setting and leave it at that.

For God's sakes, find other ways to simulate RPG statistics in an FPS than "hits at random". Make the crosshair/cone wider the less skill I have in the weapon, and make it expand further at a faster rate. But if I can line a headshot up, then that bullet should hit the God damn head and not the rock five feet to the left.

Borderlands is a good game. But just because it's a lot of fun despite its flaws doesn't mean it is a great game. Good thesis, bad example.

Taynas

May 20, 2010
I always found the things you could learn about Pandora from the environment to be some of my favorite parts of the game and some of the NPCs are pure gold (Moxxie and General Knox are my favorites). Interesting article!

Invariel

The Wizard That Did It
Apr 10, 2009
ccesarano said:
For God's sakes, find other ways to simulate RPG statistics in an FPS than "hits at random". Make the crosshair/cone wider the less skill I have in the weapon,
Borderlands already does this.

ccesarano said:
But if I can line a headshot up, then that bullet should hit the God damn head and not the rock five feet to the left.
Have you ever rolled a d20? Just saying.

As for the article itself, the point for me where Borderlands went from being a good game to a great game was the second I walked up to Tannis in her jail cell and took the time to read the graffiti on the walls. That one room was the piece of storytelling that I had missed in playing the game that tied the entire game's narrative together in one neat little package. It's a really well-designed room, and whoever proposed it deserves a small raise.

And, yes, the scratchings do bear some slight resemblance to The Ratman's wall scratchings in Portal, but that doesn't make them any less appealing.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
I stopped reading when he said he enjoyed borderlands. Although I very much dislike a lot of games, i.e. CoD, Assassin Creed 1&2 for some reason I like brotherhood though, not because of multiplayer, Homefront, many many others, but at least I can see the appeal of the affore mentioned games. Borderlands is just downright awful, it has no story, no niche gameplay element and the only gameplay it does have it "Go here, Shoot this," no variation, bad vehicle controls, terrible enviornments, terrible art style (though admittedly, someone else may love it, art is personal) A teribly scewed difficulty in that it's all as easy as wearing clothes, the items are placed so you never run out of ammo or grenades and if you have a friend who is as bored by it as you, he'll come on for 5mins and give you all his shit, unintuitive menus, character selection comes down to "Which one looks nicer" need I go on?

it is the worst game I've ever played and I've played elf bowling.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Good article. Definitely appreciated the self-deprecating intro, hehe.

You make a lot of excellent points, although personally I would not consider Borderlands a "mainstream" game. I think as compared to a lot of other shooters and RPGs, it's more on the fringe of mainstream.

The only thing that pissed me off about Blands really was their use of the crappy gamespy buddy system which made it more difficult than it needed to be to play with other people you liked. That and the endless tedious fetch-quests. Gather 500 of this item for no reason! Ok!

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
The irritating thing is that a lot of the complaints about "mainstream games" is really code for "mainstream games I don't like". Take Dead Space, for instance. Innovative title, EA really threw their weight behind marketing it. And it was a wild success. And then those same gamers turn around and complain about the prevalence of CoD. Funny thing is, a lot of those same gamers love Battlefield, despite the fact that there are almost twice as may Battlefield games as CoD. In fact, CoD has to include their cheapjack cell phone games just to catch up to Battlefield's numbers.

Not that I'm saying anything against either series, mind you. Just pointing out the double standard. What's more, CoD is still wildly popular, which means the complainers seem to be vastly overestimating their number, and underestimating their own vocalness, if that's the word I want.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
We now have two things in common a enjoyment of quality games and Marxism; its good to see fellow members of same socio-political frame of minde giving credit where its due and not just blasting the system or industry.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I'm glad to see an indie dev coming out and saying "Hey guys, the mainstream games are actually still a lot of fun." These days, it's almost expected that indies have to shun all popular games, and only play a select choice of games off ModDB. It's not entirely unlike the music fans who "only like music no-one else has heard of"

On Borderlands, I thought it had some fantastic narrative design. The game had as much, or as little story as you wanted. Yes, you could go around and blast space bugs willy-nilly, but actually listening to the storyline allowed for as much involvement in the story as you liked.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
For me I think that it depends on the developer. Some developers can make really amazing games if they don?t take themselves too seriously. But if they do, they end up suppressing the charm of previous titles. Look at R*. San Andreas was awesome, crazy, and very goofy. When I saw that gta4 was going to be a more serious game I just figured they were trying something new and I just hoped that it worked as well. It didn?t. They tried too hard to be grownups like some teenage girl throwing a ?dinner party? and it just came across as being pretentious. They need to just go with their strength and that?s making goofy games. Unfortunately they?re really sticking to the drama and it?s not getting better.
As the same time, I would hate to see Bioware try and make a goofy game. While R* comes off as pretentious, Bioware would probably come off as being sophomoric and stupid.
Devs just need to stick with their strengths: if they?re good at the nutty games, they should make nutty games/if they?re good a the serious games, they should stick to them. Sure there?s room for every kind of game but I don?t think there?s any one Dev who?s capable of making every kind... Well.
There?s a reason Robert Rankin doesn?t write romance novels.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Boarderlands was in my eyes a very good game. The story portrayal is actually one that kind of requires the player to look.
I think that players just don't have the same qualities of interpreting environments around them. I agree, Pandora had more story then what the player sees if he/she just goes about the main detail of just completing quests. You are never told that the planet was once prosperous, there was an environment teaming with life once on that planet, or what caused the instability which sent civilization to the shit hole.
But there is also some obvious humor points as well, Tannis going insane, and a personal win with me when I found Ludicrous Speedway (best Space Balls reference ever.)

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
The way the author tries to make it seem like saying that great games exist is such a radical comment seems almost like a backhanded compliment to the industry rather than any sincere respect.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I love Borderlands and the characters made it even more enjoyable. Tannis is hilarious with all her insane ramblings and Scooter was actually pretty funny too at times.

I try and tell people how awesome this game is, unfortunately the people I know are not that much of a fan for this type of game, yeah I know you have to search for the good stuff, but it's totally worth it.

Macrine

Mar 25, 2011
Through out this entire article I couldn't help but picture a near future where I walk into a game store and have a cashier in skinny jeans and a bad hair cut scoff at me because I'm buying the latest copy of "killin stuff" because it's just corporate drivel. Then he tells me he could tell me what kind of games he plays but I wouldn't have heard of them. Having gone through this more than once at the record store it made me giggle.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Dastardly said:
Jonas Kyratzes said:
The Bolshevik in the Borderlands

"Mainstream" games can be popular, profitable - and pretty damn brilliant. Maybe it's time you let yourself enjoy them.

Read Full Article
Ah, yes, the old "if people like it, it can't be good," chestnut. I appreciate hearing an indie developer speak up against it.

It's the same old thing that's been happening in the music scene since forever: a no-name band is loved by local fans, makes it big, and the fans abandon them as "sell-outs." The elitist fan that punishes the success of the band.

A game like Borderlands actually does a better job of conveying its art than many "artsy" games, as is the case with many movies. It puts the art there and allows you to find it, if you're looking... but it doesn't beat you in the face with it. There's an age-old idea that those who truly have power don't have to prove it. I think the same is true for artistic merit.
*clap* you said it all for me :) *bow*

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
I wish more people could just think like that and enjoy a good game, even if it`s "casual".

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
I loved Borderlands - played through multiple times with multiple characters.

The fact that I was willing to spend so much time in the game world is a good indication that I found some depth and satisfaction in being there...

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Great article, totally agree.
I'm trying to stem my fanatical vices, such as those displayed by LiftYourSkinnyFists:
LiftYourSkinnyFists said:
Four pages of pure pretentiousness, I'd say I admire you but there was just too much of it to find it funny.
I loved Dark Messiah of Might and Magic!
Just read that "Dark Messiah had awesome combat and the people who made Dark Messiah are DIRECTLY involved in the development of TES V"
Zenimax acquires DMoMM developers Arkane:
http://arkane-studios.com/uk/home.php
Excellent :)