3 people a country has contributed to the world

tabriaswolfe

Jan 25, 2010
TheCrayonKeeper said:
Out of a matter of interet, what did Chow Yun-Fat do?
Chow Yun-Fat's a famous chinese actor. He's been in quite a few american movies as well, google for more info. As far as listing Chinese people, asian countries had yet to be represented on the list.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Jark212 said:
rokkolpo said:
Jark212 said:
USA:
Nikola Tesla
Albert Einstein (Ours when he ditched Germany)
Benjamin Franklin

Werner von Braun Runner up

Cream of the crop in the US of A...

Edit: We Americans have a habit of stealing other Scientists...
so youre most proud of immigrants.
Most Americans are descended from immigrants myself included, diversity is what makes us strong.
all north americans are descended from immigrants.(except for the natives)

but einstein and such weren't descended, they were the immigrants.

skithus

Feb 22, 2009
Canada:

1.Jim Carrey
2.Wayne Gretksy

I didn't make a third one because these are the only famous people I know are from Canada.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Jark212 said:
xXGeckoXx said:
Jark212 said:
Nikola Tesla: US Citizen
Redesigned direct current generators, Tesla coil, AC Power, and more things than I can imagine while working in the US as a US citizen...

Albert Einstein: US Citizen
E = mc2, Inspired Manhattan Project, Refined his theories for Quantum Mechanics, exc.

Benjamin Franklin: US Citizen
born on Milk Street, in Boston, Massachusetts. lightning rod, Franklin stove, bifocal glasses, exc,. once again invented more things than I can Imagine...

Werner von Braun: US Citizen
We got him before the Soviets did, development of the Saturn V booster, Jupiter-C which launched Explorer 1, the concept of a manned space station...

All US Citizens...
Really there are enough good Americans for you guys to stop stealing European born contributors.
We can't help it if they "Choose" to come here...

It's the land of opportunity...
i don't mean taking them. I mean claiming they are American contributions to the world. If someone is born of immigrants in america then fine they are full american but if someone immigrates to america then you can not claim them in the way you do.

Alias42

Sep 10, 2009
zala-taichou said:
Alias42 said:
Netherlands:

Vincent van Gogh
Baruch de Spinoza (Philosopher)
Anton van Leeuwenhoek (built the first decent microscope and discovered microorganisms)

Runner-ups:
Johan Cruijff
Rembrandt van Rijn
Abel Tasman (discovered New Zealand and Tasmania)

Anne Frank was officially German, so sadly no inclusion.
Very good choices! I would like to add Christiaan Huygens, mathematician, astronomer, physicist, horologist, and writer; our very own homo universalis.
I considered him as well, but overall Van Leeuwenhoek has made a greater and more visible contribution to the world :)

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Scotland?

well,

Andy Murray (Charisma of a toothpick)
Kevin McKidd (That's right, the guy who voiced soap was actually scottish, crazy I know)
Sean Connery (The best Bond, undeniably)

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
El Poncho said:
maddawg IAJI said:
USA

1.Thomas Edison
2.Steven Hawking
3.Stephan King
Stephen Hawking is British by the way, just so you know.
Is he? I didn't know that. I kinda ran out of names off the top of my head so I just took a shot in the dark and hoped he was American.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
skithus said:
Canada:

1.Jim Carrey
2.Wayne Gretksy

I didn't make a third one because these are the only famous people I know are from Canada.
And don't forget Teh_Pwnerer!

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Well... I suppose I'll give three for Germany (even though I do not live there)
1. Albert Einstein
2. Otto von Bismarck
3. Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin (where would we be without lighter than air travel, and Zeppelins at the fore-front of that?)

I love Zeppelins... and I also love Germany... beautiful country...
I'm going to be stupidly anal and say Bismarck was Prussian, Zepplin was from Baden. I'll give you Einstein though. ; )

Scotland;
Keir Hardie
Angus Young
me John Logie Baird (couldn't play my games otherwise)

daz_O_O

Click me I'm here!
Aug 27, 2008
I'm going to do a decidely unBritish thing and throw the French a bone in this thread.
1. Charles Perrault.
Prolific childrens book writer.
2. Blaise Pascal.
Mathmatical legend.
3. Napoleon Bonaparte.
Kick-ass French dictator.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
El Poncho said:
1. John Loggie Baird- Invented the television
2. James Watt - He transformed steam engines into the power of the Industrial Revolution. The electrical unit is named after him.
3. Robert Watson-Watt - Invented Radar

I got these from a few sites for Scottish Inventors.

There is a lot more here [http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/big-ideas/scottish-inventors.html]
John Logie baird didn't invent the type of television we use today, it uses an alternative method to get the picture on screen. An American invented the one we do use, can't remember his name. AG Bell also didn't invent the phone, he stole the invention from some other guy, though you strangely didn't list him ;)

Gonna go w/ Robert Burns, Pinkerton and James Watt

13thforswarn

Jul 11, 2009
Ukraine:

Taras Shevchenko

He opened the eyes of the Ukrainian people that Russia is not their "big brother" but their sworn enemy.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Baneat said:
El Poncho said:
1. John Loggie Baird- Invented the television
2. James Watt - He transformed steam engines into the power of the Industrial Revolution. The electrical unit is named after him.
3. Robert Watson-Watt - Invented Radar

I got these from a few sites for Scottish Inventors.

There is a lot more here [http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/big-ideas/scottish-inventors.html]
John Logie baird didn't invent the type of television we use today, it uses an alternative method to get the picture on screen. An American invented the one we do use, can't remember his name. AG Bell also didn't invent the phone, he stole the invention from some other guy, though you strangely didn't list him ;)

Gonna go w/ Robert Burns, Pinkerton and James Watt
It was Philo T. Farnsworth.

So, for my three.
From Mormon Country:
Philo T. Farnsworth
John Browning (Invented modern firearm action)
Steve Young